Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Free War Games?  (Read 4197 times)

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Free War Games?
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:24 pm »

What I'm interested in is a hardcore military strategy simulation- in terms of detail, similar to Arma1/2, but on a RTS, strategic rather than tactical, level- with a diamond-hard sci-fi setting.

I would also like to recommend Running with Rifles. It's a top down third person shooter affair taking place with modern technology in trench warfare with massed infantry rushes.

It's also free :P.

Not anymore :P
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Free War Games?
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 08:21:12 pm »

winSP:MBT (as i prefer more modern battle settings than ww2) is simply my favorite wargame with its insane amount of content and the amount of possibilities offered by the vast amount of nations, their oob that change depending on the year setting, the tons of missions, random battles, campaigns etc..
It's a masterpiece in the wargaming genre with unlimited replayability.

The random elements that affect gameplay like in every wargame in regards to shot accuracy/penetration does not have as a big influence as in other games like Wesnoth in which it can sometime be very frustrating.
Randomness doesn't matter as much, because it "averages" out. Meaning that if you enjoy playing small scenarios (under 1k requisition points) with tank-heavy armies (I really like tanks) luck matters quite a lot. It's still a masterpiece though, especially if you get a human to play against (the AI is, as always, a cheating, cowardly, idiot.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 2 [3]