Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 459345 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2460 on: November 11, 2012, 02:40:33 pm »

Something I found out about CoTs. If they are on a coastal territory they give you a colonists per year boost. So it could explain why AI build so many CoTs. Its to get the colonists boosts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: November 11, 2012, 03:03:15 pm »

The AI doesn't need a reason to do stuff.
The AI is the ultimate troll.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: November 11, 2012, 03:16:51 pm »

Yeah, haven't you ever seen Mr. Pope in Medieval II:Total War?
Hello Hunam

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:22 pm »

Heh. Just forced England to release virtually every country it controlled, and the BBB has lost half its territory to Burgundy, Savoy, and Normandy. I guess funneling all of my spies into nationalist revolts pays off.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: November 11, 2012, 04:57:45 pm »

I've actually already Westernised partially (to Muslim Tech), I could Westernise again if I actually got a decent ruler. I've also reformed into a despotic Kingdom, thank God!

I never really considered going for India, it's so far away! I don't really want to either, it's too gamey for me.

Does the fact that I'm now a Muslim tech Kingdom change my chances of survival at all for you? Like I said, currently I can survive, I'm just wary about my future. I'd rather not abandon my game, I haven't taken over all of the steppes yet!
It won't really benefit you to westernise your tech if you still have the "Khanate" government system The Khanate gives you a -50% research speed which just cripples you. If you've survived this long you must have witnessed an extreme tribal succession crisis with the rebel doom stacks. We want to stop that from happening again. 

I believe the Golden Horde can modernise their government as an event but it's pretty hard to get those requirements. It's actually a lot easier to go South to India. DOn't worry about it being gamey. Ever since the Khans learnt about the riches of India there has been plans to conquer it. Timur failed but I believe it was a splinter tribe of the Golden Horde that managed to sack the northern states and become the Mughals.  :)

You're always going to be behind in tech since you're in poor provinces and had to westernise. Just change your government, then modernise and work from there. Ideally you should be playing "like Russia" after you've modernise. Max out serfdom, land, quantity and defensiveness. Scorch the land and make the enemies die due to attrition then wipe them out with your doom stacks. Try to avoid a fair fight at all times. It will be the exact opposite fighting style that you've used in your early years as a horde.
Don't even worry about trying to build a navy. It will take you so long to get some ports with cores and your ships will be so backwards it's not worth it. Might even be worth it to avoid coastal areas since enemies can blockade them and your pathetic navy won't be able to do anything. Coastal areas are generally much richer though which is something to consider.

EDIT: I missed the part where you became a despot, good job. Consider this more of a guide of a new horde country. You can still go south and form the mughals for some small benefits (it's less if you're not a khanate), it might be worth it just for the rich provinces there. I'm not sure if you can unite the steppe hordes in the default EU3, check if you can make the "Mongol Empire" or something like that.
Remember that the steppe provinces are hopelessly poor and have bad tech rates so it's usually better to pick a bigger and richer front (like China, Europe or India) and push into there. The Eastern European states should be a push-over but you'll probably meet your match with the central states.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:19:05 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: November 11, 2012, 09:49:37 pm »

Yeah, those rebels were absolutely awful, sometimes I'd declare war on some little neighbour of mine just so my allies would walk through my land and take care of them.

I believe the Golden Horde can modernise their government as an event but it's pretty hard to get those requirements. It's actually a lot easier to go South to India. DOn't worry about it being gamey. Ever since the Khans learnt about the riches of India there has been plans to conquer it. Timur failed but I believe it was a splinter tribe of the Golden Horde that managed to sack the northern states and become the Mughals.  :)

You're a sweet talker, eh? ;) As convincing as your argument is, there are also practical blockades to my route to India like my arch-nemesis Persia whom I hope never to fight again and my ally Kabul (basically the equivalent of Delhi in this mod).

Okay! I'll change my sliders, Golden Horde starts out with a lot of Serfdom, Land and Quantity anyway. I'll just need to get to Defensive. I've heard of the scorched earth strategy, but I've never utilised it.
The Black sea is already practically my personal lake, but I have already been ignoring boats, I can barely maintain my army never mind a navy.

I can't form anything like the Mongol Empire, I just thought ruling the steppes would be cool and thematic. Eastern Europe will indeed be a pushover (more or less), though I'm hesitant to expand any more because of my awful tech and economy. I'm allied with Poland which is gargantuan so central Europe shouldn't be an issue either.

I guess since you didn't comment on my idea to release vassals to improve my economy it was a bad idea? Maybe I could periodically raid my Western neighbours to get cash.

Here' an annotated map and an animated gif of my financial situation.
Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Finance (click to show/hide)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: November 11, 2012, 10:20:16 pm »

Nice Persia, they usually collapse in my games. I assume it's because they're Shia near a bunch of Sunnis.

It would work to your benefit to release vassals. If you can palm off some of those poor provinces off to the AI it will help speed up your tech rates and your economy will get a decent boost. I also find vassals make wars easier, covering fronts you've forgotten about and destroying rebels for you.
As obvious as it seems remember to check what provinces you're giving away to create vassals. You don't want to give away your gold provinces and completely cripple your economy.

Raiding will help you cover building and army costs. Raiding can be fairly risky in Divine Wind however due to cascading alliances that might drag you into a deadly war. It seems that apart from Persia you don't really have any real threats to worry about though so you should be fine.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: November 11, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »

Holy shit is that seriously Armenia?
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: November 11, 2012, 10:53:30 pm »

You're friends with both islams and christians?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: November 11, 2012, 10:55:00 pm »

Heh, considering doing an Alternate History Scenario for D&T akin to the "Glory of God" scenario in Miscmods. Any advice?

Pakhawaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: November 12, 2012, 01:30:08 am »

Nice Persia, they usually collapse in my games. I assume it's because they're Shia near a bunch of Sunnis.

It would work to your benefit to release vassals. If you can palm off some of those poor provinces off to the AI it will help speed up your tech rates and your economy will get a decent boost. I also find vassals make wars easier, covering fronts you've forgotten about and destroying rebels for you.
As obvious as it seems remember to check what provinces you're giving away to create vassals. You don't want to give away your gold provinces and completely cripple your economy.

Raiding will help you cover building and army costs. Raiding can be fairly risky in Divine Wind however due to cascading alliances that might drag you into a deadly war. It seems that apart from Persia you don't really have any real threats to worry about though so you should be fine.
I got rid of Trebizond and Crimea, it didn't make as much difference as I would have wanted, but luckily I was hit with an event which raised my stability which made a massive difference. I'm currently working on raising my stability, I hadn't realised how much of a difference it made to the economy. I've also done a couple of Westward raids and gained a new province in the East- I still want to form Turkestan!
Thanks for all the tips, I didn't want to give up and things seem to be improving a little now. I can almost get my next idea which should help a bit. :)

Holy shit is that seriously Armenia?
Yep, they seem pretty stable too unfortunately.

I also have some Pagan and Confucian friends, I don't think any of my Khans have taken religion too seriously. :)

Heh, considering doing an Alternate History Scenario for D&T akin to the "Glory of God" scenario in Miscmods. Any advice?
I can't remember the states in that scenario very well, but taking Iraq and remaking the Bagdhad Caliphate against all odds would be cool. Alternatively, you could take Morocco and ensure that Christians don't spread into the New World like they did in the old.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: November 12, 2012, 01:57:56 am »

I also have some Pagan and Confucian friends, I don't think any of my Khans have taken religion too seriously. :)
Historically the Mongol Empire had one of the highest rate of religious tolerance in ancient history. Their religion was originally a pagan shamanism and their culture and treatment of people who worshipped other faiths reflected this.

They believed their pantheon was reserved for their own kind and they really didn't care what the other cultures in their empire were worshipping. This slowly changed as the rulers and nobility converted to the major religions like Islam and Christianity/the Mongol Empire splintered but they still remained fairly liberal throughout their existence.

This really can't be reflected in an unmodded EU3 since theology and narrow-mindedness are lumped together into a single slider. Pretty much all Muslim countries in EU3 are also programmed to move towards max narrow-mindedness with a few exceptions like Granada and Persia.

The Mongol culture is an interesting one. It was actually my first play-through of the Golden Horde a few months back that got me interested/leaning about them. That and the Mughal Empire. :D

I think the northern crusader states need their time in the sun.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: November 12, 2012, 05:04:31 pm »

Public Challenge: Succeed as the Ottomans in this save.

Azthor

• Bay Watcher
  • Doomy Dooms of Doom, Discount Sale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: November 12, 2012, 07:48:31 pm »

Public Challenge: Succeed as the Ottomans in this save.

I will try and defeat myself as the Ottomans. Wish me luck. Lots of it.

It is possible to stabilize the country, but Serbia and the HRE clown car come knocking in a decade if you have Kozani, or two if you sold it before.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:31:37 pm by Azthor »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: November 13, 2012, 08:00:43 am »

and the HRE clown

Are there clowns in HRE ?

That would explain why Hitler is often depicted as a devil...he must has found his way to deceive people on his real appareance...
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 194