Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 459376 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2355 on: August 30, 2012, 04:35:49 am »

So Burgundy walks into Bar ... Gains a core and leaves.
*canned laughter*

I'm finding I've developed this really strange OCD thing with Europeans and the New-world. Basically I can't let any country land on it and I do almost anything I can to stop them. Usually annexing The Carnies and the like off Portugal and trying to economically cripple the "colonist" countries. It usually means I end up making a B-line straight for the new-world even if I decided I'm going to try a different goal like uniting Europe.
Not really sure why I hate other nations colonising the Americas, I guess because it usually makes them power houses and the battles tend to drag on when they have colonies everywhere. I let them have Africa though, I don't care about that one apart from the South. The majority of the provinces are too poor to even worry about colonising.

I think there's a way to stop the AI from exploring the New World in the settings or something, along the lines of "spread of coastal colonies" or something like that. I might try that when I'm doing a Europe only game or a unite the HRE map. It would be interesting to see how Europe would turn out if they didn't have the wealth pouring in from the Americas. I'm going to go with Austrians, Austrians everywhere.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: August 30, 2012, 04:42:57 am »

That option doesn't stop them from exploring, but setting it high enough makes them have to explore for themselves instead of just getting the info off you in a couple dozen years.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: August 30, 2012, 06:58:47 am »

I tend to try and lock down the america's as well. Usually this is by grabbing every coastal port near enough to colonize and smacking around portugal because Castille rarely bother. Then, once i've done it, I quit the game. Because fuck revolts every five seconds.

Are stability dropping events more common at low stability? I just had a game where every time i'd get stability up, it'd get knocked right back down by an event. It made me ragequit because I was just stuck in an endless rebel cycle.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: August 30, 2012, 08:21:11 am »

Was your current ruler incompetent? That can cause events that mess up almost everything, if it's bad enough.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:23 am »

Am I the only one who gets great pleasure from destroying countries with bad tech groups? There's something great about smashing an army of 33000 infantry with a single stack of ten regiments.

Are stability dropping events more common at low stability? I just had a game where every time i'd get stability up, it'd get knocked right back down by an event. It made me ragequit because I was just stuck in an endless rebel cycle.
As amjh said, your ruler might be a loser. How often does your stability go up? Did you build any gov. buildings? Also you might just have a streak of bad luck, after a while lady luck should stop hating you and let you jack that stable-bility up.
Hello Hunam

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:36 am »

He wasn't the worst i'd ever had. I kept getting temporary insanity of monarch though, so he wasn't the best either.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: August 30, 2012, 09:33:51 am »

One time I managed to get that "your ruler sux@diplo" event with a Diplo: 6 ruler. I'm assuming the %chance of the event just scales back with your diplomacy skill, but it really should cut off so great diplomatic leaders don't get that event.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:04 am »

Oh, government buildings weren't an option. This was 1428 when it was happening and I had taken a massive chunk of land with barely any infamy thanks to holy wars. Suppose I expanded far to fast.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 18, 2012, 10:23:01 pm »

Does this image make my Switzerland look big?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 18, 2012, 10:30:54 pm »

Death and Taxes: not even once.

Seriously, that mod is even more unbalanced than vanilla, if such a thing is possible.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:06 pm »

What happened to your Z? It's like... rubbing up on the T. It's kinda weird.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:17 pm »

Zorro is the leader obviously.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

jakeread1

• Bay Watcher
  • Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: September 20, 2012, 12:05:00 pm »

Does anyone know what the hardest nation is for divine winds?
New Character awaits a epic black vs hood black vs straight up black fight!
http://www.youtube.com/user/jakeread1 <----- that there is my youtube channel!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 20, 2012, 12:24:16 pm »

Knights or Ryukyu. You could try one american tribes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 20, 2012, 12:36:18 pm »

Urbino is pretty hard for the first few decades, being one of the few non-Holy-Roman OPMs in Europe that happens to be surrounded by countries that can massacre it with no repercussions.

For the long term, Ryukyu is pretty hard. Knights are kinda easy once you start absorbing the Byzantines. (Great sliders, just a bad starting position.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 194