Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 459400 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2295 on: August 04, 2012, 03:12:25 pm »

How's MEIOU, dutch?

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: August 04, 2012, 03:56:03 pm »

So here I am hoop dooping around near the alps as good old Milan. A few years ago I managed to reduce Genoa to a one province minor (it released Corsica) and thoroughly romped the papal states. I have quite a few vassals in Italy, Naples is my ally along with Bohemia. I have quite a few royal marriages about and things were starting to look up economically. So then when the truce with Genoa expires I decided to go into a war with them despite the whole HRE and -2 stability hit.

Now I know what you're thinking, "That's dumb". Well you see, due to some complications with Venice, Austria, Bohemia and Switzerland were duking it out meaning Bohemia (the HRE at the time) would be to busy to fight me. I also called in all my vassals and what not, so I could easily quickly rush Genoa and annex it.

Genoa calls in its three allies, who then call in a few more allies, fair enough they're not too powerful

Now Genoa had a very low manpower limit. So naturally when I attack their army I think "Oh this will be easy"
 They have 1000 more men than me and an excellent general, GEE THAT'S FAIR.

EDIT: Keep in mind i'm terrible at this game.
Blargh.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: August 04, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »

Keep in mind, ai always cheats in rts.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: August 04, 2012, 04:14:18 pm »

True, I guess i'll reload my save from the previous year where the big Austria-Bohemia war is still going on. It's an interesting war, if Austria wins Bohemia will most likely become a less valid candidate for HRE. If Bohemia wins they'll expand and grow, becoming even more of a superpower. Personally i'd rather both sides to end up badly beaten because then I may be able to take a shot at becoming the HRE.
Blargh.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: August 04, 2012, 05:49:35 pm »

Speaking of Milan, I'm about to form Italy with them. Everything italian is vassalized or in a PU, with the entirity of Naples, Sardinia, Umbria, and the Papal State annexed. That just leaves a handful of vassalized northern Italian minors along with PU'd Savoy. Hrm.

The trick is befriending Austria and Switzerland. They are really your only threats, so long as Naples doesn't form Sicily. While they're your allies, just take the Vassalization missions as they come. Since you border so many nations, you'll get be quite busy vassalizing. Then it's a matter of getting diploannex missions... somewhere along the way, you'll probably become the HRE too, at which point you can ignore your allies.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: August 05, 2012, 01:31:21 pm »

Damn Castille is being very modern in how he fights against me. I formed Great Britain some 70 years after the start and it is now the year 1486. Surprisingly both the Knights and Byzantium still exist. Anyway after being in regency hell for over 20 years(I had an empress between that, but she only ruled for 3 years and died right after she bore a son), during which I colonized and built up my holdings, I have started my conquest of North Africa. It seems that whichever step I take, Castille takes a step to counter it. WHile Castille doesn't have any holdings in North Africa, she does make a lot of alliances. Castille has annexed Portugal and needs 3 more provinces to form Spain. Those provinces are held by France, a true superpower.

I could start a lengthy, bloody and very expensive war against Castille, a war which I wouldn't be sure to win, but I have decided to wait till Castille and France are at war so I could swoop in and attack Castille and hopefully take it's western part.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: August 05, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »

How exactly do you get female leaders? I haven't had one in my history of EU3. Is it just random or based off legitimacy or something?
A couple countries start with a female leader and I noticed no benefits/negatives apart from not being able to draft her as a general.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: August 05, 2012, 01:43:45 pm »

The Empresse's father had 3 heirs die before her, so maybe that had something to do with that. However it is possible that she is from a royal marriage I had with Mandua, as she was a Dattia, the same dynasty that rules Mandua. My king did not have any heirs and her claim was weak.

The current British Emperor is also a Dattia, Charles I Dattia.

Also, should I change government type to Noble Republic?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: August 05, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »

Assuming it's an unmodded version the main appeal of Noble Republic is having a republic that can form royal marriages. Republics usually allow you to get much better leaders. However the lack of good centralisation options coupled with the fact it has a rather mundane bonuses makes it a rather poor choice as republics go. 

Personally unless you want tolerance (which I have no idea why anyone would in EU3), want a fairly stable/easy to change policies country, or better leaders with the chance of getting personal unions occasionally you'll go NR. Empire is much better if you plan to colonise or conquer since there's better centralisation and less over-exhaustion for non-cored provinces. Plus you can force claims and personal unions. 

Don't take that data as absolute since I stopped playing EU3 for CKII/V2 and only came back to it after downloading some mods (MISCMOD is awesome if you want a vanilla experience with added content).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:02:40 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: August 05, 2012, 01:59:00 pm »

How exactly do you get female leaders? I haven't had one in my history of EU3. Is it just random or based off legitimacy or something?
A couple countries start with a female leader and I noticed no benefits/negatives apart from not being able to draft her as a general.
It is based on the names in a countries .txt file. Some don't have female names at all so they will never get female rulers. I had one female ruler as Manchu but other than that never had one.

How's MEIOU, dutch?
Great. Better map, better everything :)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: August 05, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »

Tolerance only really pays off if you stay with it to lategame. Full tax and greatly decreased revolt risks are nice, son. Of course, the foremost benefit is that your realm looks cool, especially if it covers 3+ religions.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:41 am »

Castille is a total dick. So he got in a war with me and shortly after that France joined too, so both me and France were against Castille. The war was successful as both of us were able to nab provinces. A year later Castille becomes papal controller and as the first thing effectively excommunicates half of Europe, me and France included...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: August 06, 2012, 08:02:03 am »

One of the most satisfying things you can do in the game is take all the coastal regions of Spain and watch the AI crap itself when it releases it can't colonise anymore and has to put it's attention towards France.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: August 09, 2012, 06:11:08 pm »

Countries really shouldn't be able to to release nations as peace tribute if those territories are occupied by a third party. I'm not actually sure how they'd implement that in a sensible way, but right now it's a little weird:

No, I'm occupying this province thank you very much, you don't get to become an independent nation just because the Genoans said so.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: August 09, 2012, 06:44:29 pm »

Countries really shouldn't be able to to release nations as peace tribute if those territories are occupied by a third party. I'm not actually sure how they'd implement that in a sensible way, but right now it's a little weird:

No, I'm occupying this province thank you very much, you don't get to become an independent nation just because the Genoans said so.
Yep, Peacemaking can be really annoying.  I take 1/2 a countrie's provinces and right before I sue for peace, the war leaders go in and sue for peace for a single province they got, leaving me with my army nearly decimated from the effort, nearly in debt, and with no gift for doing it.  **FUUUUUUUU**
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 194