Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 451892 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2011, 08:52:10 am »

Can anyone tell me how to get powerful allies? Everyone around me is friends with France, Britain, Hungary, Austria, ect. Why is it impossible for me to make allies with anyone but the few weak guys I can?

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2011, 08:55:06 am »

Can anyone tell me how to get powerful allies? Everyone around me is friends with France, Britain, Hungary, Austria, ect. Why is it impossible for me to make allies with anyone but the few weak guys I can?

It's difficult but possible to get allies if you're weak, but generally you'll get powerful allies if you're strong and have less than 2 or 3 allies (can't remember that one).

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2011, 09:28:45 am »

I'd probably recommend you get a bunch of vasalls instead if possible.
Regular (especially powerful) allies tend to drag you into wars you have no interest in fighting, gobble any provinces they can get their hands on and then leave you when you need them.  >:(
A union or two could help you out as well.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

Looks like you have an interesting game ahead of you.  ;D

Gonna be REALLY interesting when i port the save into vicky 2 when they finish that converter :D

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2011, 11:57:28 am »

I'd probably recommend you get a bunch of vasalls instead if possible.
Regular (especially powerful) allies tend to drag you into wars you have no interest in fighting, gobble any provinces they can get their hands on and then leave you when you need them.  >:(
A union or two could help you out as well.

Well I don't have royal marriages (theocracy) so I can't do that and I don't know if it would be worth it to change governments, and I am Trier, smack in the middle of the HRE and everyone around me has 10 other nations protecting them. Another thing that annoys me, both the weaker and stronger nations around me have lots of strong guys declaring their independance, but no one has made me that offer.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2011, 02:00:16 pm »

It's difficult but possible to get allies if you're weak, but generally you'll get powerful allies if you're strong and have less than 2 or 3 allies (can't remember that one).
According to what I've heard, if AIs have 3 or more alliances, they won't accept any proposals. Not sure about the player himself/herself.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2011, 02:34:15 pm »

According to what I've heard, if AIs have 3 or more alliances, they won't accept any proposals. Not sure about the player himself/herself.

A long time ago this was a hard limit, now its a soft one.
That is if you have good reputation, good relations and a great deal of trust between the country your trying to ally and yours, and they have 3 alliances, they may still accept a alliance (likely with low chance though) if you dont have many yourself.

You tend not to be able to acquire alliances except by diplomatic action if you have a great many (released nations, vassals, unions ect).

But in his case... Likely he has tried good reputation, and good relations with few alliances... So the only thing you can try is trust. (something i always stress as really important long-term but see people not actually care much about). You can raise it by like.. guaranteeing people and then helping them defend themselves from attack (and for god sakes you should always honor calls from allies unless your going to suffer a massive defeat if you honour it).

Oh i forgot to mention, people like to ally people around the same strength as them.. so if your 1/10 the size, its not likely going to happen naturally..

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »

A long time ago this was a hard limit, now its a soft one.
That is if you have good reputation, good relations and a great deal of trust between the country your trying to ally and yours, and they have 3 alliances, they may still accept a alliance (likely with low chance though) if you dont have many yourself.

What do you mean by "a long time ago?" I'm fairly sure I've had countries at 200 relations with a marriage, and they wouldn't accept an alliance with me due to already having 3, in EU3:Complete.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2011, 02:57:58 pm »

EU3 Complete's latest expansion was In Nomine, which was made in 2008. That can be considered "A long time ago" for some people. Especially since the game was released in 2007.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2011, 03:56:40 pm »

In HTTT:
Milan in my game is Emperor of the HRE. Has around 8 allies.
I was not amused.
I'm still not.
D:
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2011, 04:28:45 pm »

Well, it wasn't a perfect limit even in EU3:Complete. Nations could still get past it by releasing nations from other nations when they already have 3 allies. But it's correct that they would not seek out new allies when they're at 3 or above.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2011, 09:17:33 pm »

Well its around 1580 now and Im 3 sliders from westernizing now that Naples annexed a OPM on my border. The only problem being Naples seems to love them some colonialism, and I'm India! :(

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2011, 12:51:30 am »

Well I don't have royal marriages (theocracy) so I can't do that and I don't know if it would be worth it to change governments, and I am Trier, smack in the middle of the HRE and everyone around me has 10 other nations protecting them. Another thing that annoys me, both the weaker and stronger nations around me have lots of strong guys declaring their independance, but no one has made me that offer.

Hey I'm in the middle of a Trier game rite now, its MEIOU though so its a bit different.  I find its helpful to get military access on everyone around you, anyone who could be the emperor and the big blobs like england and france and castile.  When you have good relations with someone, they will usually give warning before attacking, like insults and deal cancelations.  I don't really bother with alliances, they are more trouble then they are worth unless you know you are going to be attacked soon or unless its expansion time and you need a CB.  Also, the AI avoids making alliances with weaker countries because it knows they won't provide much help, so allied countries tend to either be weak, or loosers who are likely to be attacked soon.  The trick to expanding in the HRE is to identify closed alliances chains (like A is allied only with B who is allied only with C who is allied with noone else) and then generate CB's on them.  AI's will accept loans at 8% interest, 12 months, for an amount larger then about 20 or 30 gold.  They rarely pay these back.  The less cheesy way is claiming thrones, giving warnings, guarantees and participating in chain alliance derpfests.  I think going monarchy is worth it, because royal marriages allow you to claim thrones and make others reluctant to attack you.  Plus they really help out with those endless "IMPROVE RELATIONS WITH IRRELEVANT COUNTRY" missions. 

My game is wierd though, I might be having an easier time because the emperor keeps loosing wars to GB and France. 
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 12:53:53 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2011, 07:02:59 am »

Hey I'm in the middle of a Trier game rite now, its MEIOU though so its a bit different.  I find its helpful to get military access on everyone around you, anyone who could be the emperor and the big blobs like england and france and castile.  When you have good relations with someone, they will usually give warning before attacking, like insults and deal cancelations.  I don't really bother with alliances, they are more trouble then they are worth unless you know you are going to be attacked soon or unless its expansion time and you need a CB.  Also, the AI avoids making alliances with weaker countries because it knows they won't provide much help, so allied countries tend to either be weak, or loosers who are likely to be attacked soon.  The trick to expanding in the HRE is to identify closed alliances chains (like A is allied only with B who is allied only with C who is allied with noone else) and then generate CB's on them.  AI's will accept loans at 8% interest, 12 months, for an amount larger then about 20 or 30 gold.  They rarely pay these back.  The less cheesy way is claiming thrones, giving warnings, guarantees and participating in chain alliance derpfests.  I think going monarchy is worth it, because royal marriages allow you to claim thrones and make others reluctant to attack you.  Plus they really help out with those endless "IMPROVE RELATIONS WITH IRRELEVANT COUNTRY" missions. 

My game is wierd though, I might be having an easier time because the emperor keeps loosing wars to GB and France.

Thx, I've been wondering of a good way to get CBs on them. And don't worry, my emperors are getting beat up too.

My main personal goal for every game I play is now to destroy France. Has anyone done this?

Also, what's a good way to get spies?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2011, 07:22:49 am »

Got this game just last night.

First reaction was "Oh, cool. This is like Risk+4x."

So, I started playing at about 11pm... and I just finished.

Its 8 AM.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 194