Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 451890 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2011, 04:37:27 pm »

Enemies of the HRE also seem to inherit the ability to walk through lands without military access. Makes it so it never turns into a stalemate. So no, I don't think France is HRE.

Also, do note, without military access, the supply limit will be very low if you're HRE and walking through territories, so your army will eat attrition. It's better to plain just get military access.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:35 pm »

It's possible to join the HRE. I joined it as France one game when I was experimenting. You basically have to have your provinces join one at a time. I'm not sure if there's really any benefit to doing it, though, unless you can somehow obtain control of the HRE, and even then...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 05:03:20 pm »

Ah, good to know.

EDIT: Wait.... France isn't int he HRE is it???

I sure as hell hope not! What would Austria do if they actually faced a challenge when they went to claim the Imperial Throne?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2011, 06:13:10 pm »

It's possible to join the HRE. I joined it as France one game when I was experimenting. You basically have to have your provinces join one at a time. I'm not sure if there's really any benefit to doing it, though, unless you can somehow obtain control of the HRE, and even then...

Well, other than the obvious benefits/drawbacks to being part of the HRE, there's a one time bonus per province you add. Each one gives you +2 prestige and also gives the current emperor prestige. It also massively improves your relations with the current emperor. Although, you need to have good relations with them to add provinces to the empire anyway unless you happen to border them.

So if you add a large number of provinces, you would end with a fair chunk of prestige.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2011, 06:46:11 pm »

France joined and took control of the HRE in a game I was playing. Nearly had a heart attack when I clicked on the Empire button, let me tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2011, 06:53:38 pm »

That prestige decays after a while, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:47 pm »

France joined and took control of the HRE in a game I was playing. Nearly had a heart attack when I clicked on the Empire button, let me tell you.

Yeah, France already has ungodly amounts of manpower and vassals and being the Emperor only makes it easier to pick up more vassals. I know - Austria is one of my favourites.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2011, 01:37:03 am »

Ah, good to know.

EDIT: Wait.... France isn't int he HRE is it???

I sure as hell hope not! What would Austria do if they actually faced a challenge when they went to claim the Imperial Throne?

It's funny you mention that because Austria is up against both France and Britain in my game after declaring war on one of my neighbors.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2011, 02:33:47 am »

France usually have a few provinces (at least) in the HRE. These also count for the HRE military access. Even if France haven't joined. If that made any sense. Basically it's all the green on the HRE map mode.

So am I missing something or is the only way to take someone's entire county from them initiating a war with them? No matter how low I put some other country's reaction to me they will not attack me.
You could also go with royal marriages and hope for a union. But it's usually much easier and faster and still infamy free to force them. If you have spies use them so you won't have to pay 1 stability for declaring war after claiming throne.
You could also offer vasallisation (helps to have a good diplomatic ruler, a large sphere of influence can get you bonus to diplo skill that's several times better than should be possible).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:58:35 am by snelg »
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2011, 03:58:33 am »

So I'm playing the Papal States in HTTT, and I'm... maybe the 6th to 8th strongest nation of the world.

What I don't get is, why won't anyone let any of my provinces into the HRE?
I've attempted with several several times. Yet Austria (my ally who loved me at the time) continuously refused. One other I can't remember did as well.
I'm not even going to try the current emperor, Milan, since they hate me for obvious Italian reasons.

But why not my lovely little ally Austria?
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2011, 04:20:24 am »

If you have more provinces than the emperor, they won't let you add any to the HRE, probably because they're jealous.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:30 am »

Oh. Well.
I guess that leaves Papal Africa out of the Empire.

YOU'LL REGRET THIS!
-insert black and white picture of angry guy from DOS game-
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2011, 06:40:48 am »

Becoming the emperor yourself is pretty much the only way to join the empire. Though that will be a problem for the papal state. Look at it from the bright side though, you won't get any extra (huge amount of) infamy for owning provinces in the HRE without a core. And once the reformation kicks in you can grab provinces left and right with unam sanctum.  :D

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2011, 08:14:46 am »

My game is going... terrifyingly. around 1570, and Im a fully formed Hindustan who controls nearly all of India Proper, when we finally learn about those damned Europeans, and It seems France is trying to become more of a dick than ususal, in addition Poland is the ugliest country ever, Byzantium has been banished from Thrace, and well, mabye I should just post the pictures

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

snelg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2011, 08:50:16 am »

My game is going... terrifyingly. around 1570, and Im a fully formed Hindustan who controls nearly all of India Proper, when we finally learn about those damned Europeans, and It seems France is trying to become more of a dick than ususal, in addition Poland is the ugliest country ever, Byzantium has been banished from Thrace, and well, mabye I should just post the pictures

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Castille and UK in Africa? check!
Austria blobbing the Balkans? Check!
France doing their thing? Check!
Russians got messed up? Check!
Bohemia rampaging through golden horde lands? che- hey wait a second. Poland is actually still alive!
And so is Ottoman empire. Ming didn't explode yet either.

Looks like you have an interesting game ahead of you.  ;D
Rebels in (especially northern) India is a pain in the ass. Large stacks and low supply provinces makes it worse than usual.  :(
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:59:37 am by snelg »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 194