Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 451764 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:53 am »

What would be a good smallish nation for a less then average player? I played one game of great Britain, but I tend to dislike playing a superpower, and not making a small nation big.

You could go Brandenburg and aim to form Prussia or become the emperor of the HRE. It starts with 4 provinces and as an elector of the HRE, one of the more powerful German nations but can still be a challenge to deal with Poland/Lithuania and Bohemia.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2011, 07:05:20 am »

What would be a good smallish nation for a less then average player? I played one game of great Britain, but I tend to dislike playing a superpower, and not making a small nation big.
Holland has some pretty awesome sliders that will let you dominate every center of trade you can access which puts you in a good position to colonise if you want. They're a monarchy too, so you can get unions or become the emperor if you want.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2011, 08:24:41 am »

My first time playing this I chose Cherokee and that was a bad decision.

Anyway, I'm highly endeared by the quest system. The only thing I really find missing is the more elaborate family trees and stuff of rulers that Crusader Kings had.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »

That really depends on who is the emperor and how good they are doing.
Yes on the latter... but who the emperor is less of a matter considering the emperor, at list in DW, gains HUGE manpower AND landforce limit bonuses (around the 30000 thousands for manpower, around the hundreds for force limits). And remember that he has only 4000 (6000? I can't remember) troops.

Sometimes it's enough for them to be busy somewhere else not to join the war at all...
In my experience, it seems that even if a nation is busy somewhere else, they will join a defensive war 90% of the time unless utterly, utterly battered by another nation.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »

And the AI has a bad habit of dropping everything else to wage war on the player.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2011, 01:49:48 pm »

A few questions here:

I noticed an option under the religious menu, about sending a missionary to increase relations with the papal states. Yet it disappeared later on. What causes it to be available?

Would it be a good idea to declare war on people very very far away that can't possible reach you and then activate war taxes for money?

What is the best way to mess with someone going pure trading?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »

Code: [Select]
religion_decisions = {

send_papal_delegate = {
potential = {
religion = catholic
NOT = { papal_influence = 0.25 }
papacy_active = yes
}
allow = {
missionaries = 1
}
effect = {
add_papal_influence = 0.02
missionaries = -1
}
ai_will_do = {
factor = 1
modifier = {
NOT = { missionaries = 2 }
factor = 0
}
}
}
As you can see, you can only 'see' the decision if you are (a) catholic, (b) have less than 25% papal influence and (c) the papacy is active.
You probably had a papal influence over 25 :P

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 02:39:05 pm »

Would it be a good idea to declare war on people very very far away that can't possible reach you and then activate war taxes for money?
If:

1: You handle the War Exhaustion.

2: You're 100% sure they don't have allies near you, and 100% sure that their larger allies don't have their own allies near you (nations pass leadership of a defensive war to larger allied nations after calling in their allies, who can then call in THEIR allies!).

What is the best way to mess with someone going pure trading?
They or you are going pure trading? Sorry, I can't really understand the wording.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 02:48:28 pm »

Both actually, I am going up the merchant path and this guy next to me has like, 3 times my income and is focusing everything into merchants. Idea's advisors... I am not doing it that whole heartedly.

How do I indirectly harm him? And how can i prevent that from happening to me?

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 05:31:04 pm »

use spies to disrupt trade efficiency. or trick him into building up his infamy.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:17 pm »

Yeah, as I thought, spies.

But how do you trick him into increasing his infamy?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 01:38:24 am »

Getting him to annex people/take land from them is all I can think of. You can't really 'trick' them into gaining Infamy.

You can also tarnish his reputation via spies. But that's slow.

Really, the only way you can severely hurt someone is with war. Or rebels. If you want to get rid of him, you're going to have to use the tried and tested weapon: The sword.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:43 am »

The Hansa/Lubeck or whatever its called is fun.  Its got 3 provinces but one of them is this beastly Center of Trade that most of the wealth in Europe passes through.  You can conquer other HRE members if you are careful, or eat the Scandinavian countries, or sail over and take russia for its COT or go colonize America. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 06:45:05 am »

I jumped ahead 10 years in trade technology, and can now make monopolies, but they don't seem to be worth it, even though I have an adviser, idea, and moved the scales in favor or merchant compete chance.

EDIT: Does anyone else spam the commision painting button? I don't think it was suppose to be a viable strategy considering how the history file has hundreds of "xxxxxx has wisely commisioned a painting" notes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 12:38:39 pm by Micro102 »

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:16 pm »

Monopolies are great if you can keep them (it's much easier outside Europe).

I use the "commission painting" a lot as well. Especially when playing some non-european country that has less buildings (technology) to build and no access to gilded iconography to get that sweet bonus to cultural tradition. It's pretty much a must if you want to get some good advisors.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 194