Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 451900 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2760 on: March 12, 2013, 01:45:17 pm »

Well, try get a larger sphere of influence as I think that increases their chance of accepting. And don't ask when the odds are 'impossible', wait for 'very unlikely'. Aragon will get into trouble with either France or Castille sooner or later so and guarantees expire in ten years so...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: March 12, 2013, 01:48:10 pm »

You might be able to use spies to get rebels in the province. I'm not ENTIRELY sure how they world, but I think patriot rebels will revert a province to the person who funded them.

Takes a while, but you can take advantage of other opportunities while you wait, if they come up.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:40 pm »

Well, try get a larger sphere of influence as I think that increases their chance of accepting. And don't ask when the odds are 'impossible', wait for 'very unlikely'. Aragon will get into trouble with either France or Castille sooner or later so and guarantees expire in ten years so...

I've been increasing my sphere, but I took a prestige hit of around 20ish at some point that I don't remember so I can't increase it at the moment. I'm looking around for some sort of opportunity to gain prestige, but I'm still relatively fresh to EU so I'm left scratching my head.

I hope Aragon runs into trouble soon, as they've been a thorn in my side the entire game. At the moment Aragon is allied with Milan, and that's what's troubling me. If either Milan or Aragon run into a war with another major power, and I want to take advantage of it, the other is going to bite me in the rear. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll both be occupied enough for me to take some chunks out of them down the road.

Also, by the way, if I guarantee an OPM, that doesn't stop me from vassilizing them, right? I guaranteed Tuscany and Urbino immediately when the game started, hoping the Papal States would take the bait on one or the other, and wanted to make sure that wasn't what was feeding me the 'Impossible' chances.

You might be able to use spies to get rebels in the province. I'm not ENTIRELY sure how they world, but I think patriot rebels will revert a province to the person who funded them.

Takes a while, but you can take advantage of other opportunities while you wait, if they come up.

I'll try that out. Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a shot.

EDIT: Apparently Patriot Rebels aren't a valid type in Tuscany at the moment. I'm going to see about supporting a revolt, however. If nothing else, maybe destabilizing Tuscany will soften them to considering becoming my vassal.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:56:53 pm by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: March 12, 2013, 02:00:34 pm »

get some alliances up in this Naples and declare war anyways!
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: March 12, 2013, 02:15:47 pm »

Patriot rebels only work if the holder has the wrong culture.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: March 12, 2013, 02:17:18 pm »

Indeed! Allying with Austria, GB, France, Spain, Switzerland, Genoa, or Portugal will do great. You can definitely take Aragon 1 on 1 (AI are so bad at invading via navy, just put all your troops into a doomstack and kill them as they land), all it takes is to put down Milan quick enough that Aragon doesn't get 20k+ troops landed beforehand.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »

Indeed! Allying with Austria, GB, France, Spain, Switzerland, Genoa, or Portugal will do great. You can definitely take Aragon 1 on 1 (AI are so bad at invading via navy, just put all your troops into a doomstack and kill them as they land), all it takes is to put down Milan quick enough that Aragon doesn't get 20k+ troops landed beforehand.

I've been trying, but I keep getting my alliance offers rejected.

For some reason, I apparently had accepted an alliance offer from Venice earlier, and now they're calling me in against Milan and Aragon. Since Aragon is currently dealing (or rather, ignoring, so perhaps they're busy elsewhere?) a deathstack of Nationalist Rebels in Sicily I think it may be safe to go into this war and deal with Milan at minimum now.

Besides, I really don't want them taking Venezia, or I'm going to have a hell of a time dealing with them later. That province's income looks absolutely ridiculous. :o

Thanks for all the advice everyone.  :D

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: March 12, 2013, 02:38:03 pm »

Venezia's income will drop when it gets conquered, by a significant amount, due to RR, loss of MR and no core.

Definitely take the chance to force Aragon to release sicily if you can. (preferably attacking aragon after milan is defeated). if you're not the war leader, its often a good idea to declare war with the alliance CB rather than accept your ally's CtA - you won't lose prestige.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: March 12, 2013, 03:30:29 pm »

Hrm, if they send the request for help in the war, can you declare war through alliance while that screen is up, and then press no, and not lose the alliance?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: March 12, 2013, 03:35:17 pm »

Why not press yes? Just make sure you declared the other war first.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ended up mopping the floor with both Milan and Aragon, largely thanks to the naval efforts of Venice.

Milan wasn't too hard; they had just had a huge battle with Venice. Though they had won against Venice, that battle had made it easy to break their morale and sweep up the leftover routed forces. I set up sieges across Milan, and recalled my forces to the 'boot of Italy' to beat back a few thousand Aragonese soldiers that had come over to invade after being chased off of Sicily by rebels.

During the war, those same Sicilian rebels ended up causing Aragon to release Pelermo into a new Sicily. The rebels didn't have control of Messina because I decided to, after eradicating the Aragonese incursion, get rid of the 18k stack while Aragon was busy with Venice. So I saddled up the Reconquest Casus Belli, took Palermo, and annexed Sicily pretty swiftly. Messina fell from Aragonese control soon afterwards.

My initial invasion of mainland Aragon was assisted by my new alliance with Castille, who had also agreed to give me military access. I didn't bother sending them a CTA, but being able to land on their shores to sweep into Aragon helped immensely. Truth be told, I likely could have entered Aragon by way of an undefended coastal province as Venice was just starting to land troops in North-Eastern Aragon and they were preoccupied there.

I only met brief resistance from stragglers who hadn't been sent to defend against the Venetian front, and after a mere three battles, I was besieging every province in Aragon that Venice hadn't sunk its claws into.

I kept getting spammed with attempts at peace treaties the entire time, mostly from Milan. I didn't want to accept their peace treaties prematurely simply because I wanted to get some territory from Aragon first, and Milan was the senior partner. I noticed being the senior partner in a war is quite a nice place to be though, from a player's point of view, as the AI can be outright dumb with diplomacy.

In the end, I took Cremona, Parma, and Brescia from Milan, and Valencia, Messina, and Alicante from Aragon. I also had Aragon release Sardinia and pay me 25 ducats in tribute, and had Milan annul its treaties with Aragon. So between numerous war subsidies from Castille and England and some profitable new territory, I'm rolling in the money. I'm aiming to increase my navy and land forces by a fair amount. I did accrue quite a bit of BB, but I'm not too worried. Castille drew me into a war with the Mamluks, but I'm contemplating not actually doing anything. I may raid them a little and settle for a White Peace or some tribute in ducats.

Oh, and another thing; I managed to finally get Tuscany to agree to become my vassal! Now I'm working on Sardinia and Ferrara.  Whoever said violence is never the solution has clearly never played EU3.  :P
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:33:18 pm by inEQUALITY »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: March 12, 2013, 06:18:24 pm »

Wait, so let me get this straight, you are now neighbors to Castille, Bohemia, Austria, France, and who knows who-else?

Your screwed.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: March 12, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »

Looking good for 1426, and great that you screwed Aragon, but I don't see any logic in taking Valencia and Alicante instead of Sardinia.
Castille will want those provinces sooner or later, and you will constantly have to deal with patriot rebels, which means either stationing an army there or ferrying an army there whenever there's a problem. If you ever go to war with someone with a more powerful navy you'll probably lose those provinces, and the bb cost of them will slow your progress towards forming Italy. Granted, they are probably quite valuable, but I wouldn't recommend it in any case.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: March 12, 2013, 06:57:25 pm »

Wait, so let me get this straight, you are now neighbors to Castille, Bohemia, Austria, France, and who knows who-else?

Your screwed.

Provence borders France, but Naples proper doesn't yet. But we'll just have to see about that.  :P

Looking good for 1426, and great that you screwed Aragon, but I don't see any logic in taking Valencia and Alicante instead of Sardinia.
Castille will want those provinces sooner or later, and you will constantly have to deal with patriot rebels, which means either stationing an army there or ferrying an army there whenever there's a problem. If you ever go to war with someone with a more powerful navy you'll probably lose those provinces, and the bb cost of them will slow your progress towards forming Italy. Granted, they are probably quite valuable, but I wouldn't recommend it in any case.

I actually had intended to take Sardinia, but Venice beat me to sieging it and I wasn't about to let them have it. I took Valencia and Alicante as they didn't neighbor France, Valencia had the highest value of the territories they would cede, and I didn't want to split Aragon into two pieces because I just hate how that looks. Even how Milan looks bothers me. And don't get me started on Austria and Bohemia. *shudders*

Surprisingly, the only rebels giving me trouble are the Lombardian rebels in what used to be part of Milan. Haven't had any issues on the Iberian peninsula yet.

claes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: March 16, 2013, 06:06:24 pm »

This is the next strategy game that I will be playing, and after becoming fairly acquainted with CKII I am looking forward to it immensely.  To aid myself, and others, and so that I don't blunder through it, I will be using this written lp to get me started.

Hope it helps:

http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

I would love the opportunity to post questions/updates in this thread as well.  I really enjoy paradox games ;)
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185] 186 187 ... 194