Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 459353 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2400 on: October 16, 2012, 09:46:05 am »

What are the advantages of playing D&T ?

I honestly think the main advantage is that there isn't a bloat of new stuff. There's a ton of new content, but it's not "this core mechanic of the EU series has been flipped upside down" type stuff. I went from Vanilla -> MiscMods -> D&T and it was pretty seamless.

Anyway, Granada. I'm doing pretty well; Castille megablobbed, overextended, then imploded. I managed to sneak into a war while it was imploding and got all but one of the territories needed to form Al Andulas. Unfortunately, castille imploding means now I have to deal with all three of Portugal, Castille, and Aragon. It's difficult to say the least. I have to pretty much plan on never beating any of their armies ever.

Not really sure how to stay on top of the game in tech. I'm halfway westernized, max innovate, have merchants in every CoT I can trade in, I've spent most of my spare cash on trade/production buildings, and I'm still relatively small (and the provinces I do own are pretty rich). Giant african nations have better tech then me. What the heck?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:51:47 am by Rex_Nex »

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2401 on: October 16, 2012, 10:14:58 am »

Very strange. There must be a bug or something, because in all my granada games, after 1500 I am always on top of the muslims countries. Before that, the wars can make that you use a lot of your money in wars, and (also with the effect of inflation) therefore you invest less in technology. Idem with the stability. A lot of wars (as well as the fact that you modified your "free trade/mercantilism" or other sliders) mean problems of stability then you have to invest in stability to recover ; whereas AI never changes its sliders.

But on the long term, you will always win.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 10:16:54 am by Inarius »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2402 on: October 16, 2012, 10:25:26 am »

Pretty sure that almost all the Muslims in the game are programmed to stay around max narrowmindedness. This means they can't westernise and will rapidly fall behind in tech and become push-overs. The majority of the AI seems to favour really poor slider choices.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: October 17, 2012, 02:01:28 am »

Yes, almost. Only Granada is nearly max innovation.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: October 17, 2012, 03:19:46 am »

whereas AI never changes its sliders.

You sure? I was sure they did... that's why the HRE minors always have a least a couple Rebel stacks floating around, because they throw their sliders somewhere on the starting date and some are instantly flooded with 3-4 rebels.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:02 am »

The RNG is trolling me.

It has killed off at least 3 of my heirs. Two were 100% kill events, while the other was a 50%.

Now I'm left with an heir with amazing stats of 3/3/3. Woo. And since this is MEIOU, I fully expect horrible traits as a result.

That is, if my horrible heir even lives. Goddamn RNG.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: October 17, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

Quote from: Inarius on October 16, 2012, 10:14:58 am

whereas AI never changes its sliders.

You sure? I was sure they did... that's why the HRE minors always have a least a couple Rebel stacks floating around, because they throw their sliders somewhere on the starting date and some are instantly flooded with 3-4 rebels.

I'm not sure
It's just that everytime I try to start as a AI country during the game i can change the slider. So I think that they don't change sliders. But I have no proofs.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: October 17, 2012, 05:01:38 am »

I am convinced that lifespan decreases with leader skill. Honestly. Every single good heir I have has died off, including an AWESOME 8/8/8 king I had with Granada. Replaced with a 3/8/3... ugh..

I'll have to check up on those sliders. Maybe they are slow at it... or maybe they don't do it at all. I'll test and see if the default values have changed from what they were on the start date.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: October 17, 2012, 09:02:16 am »

I am convinced that lifespan decreases with leader skill. Honestly. Every single good heir I have has died off, including an AWESOME 8/8/8 king I had with Granada. Replaced with a 3/8/3... ugh..

I'll have to check up on those sliders. Maybe they are slow at it... or maybe they don't do it at all. I'll test and see if the default values have changed from what they were on the start date.

I think it's more along the lines of lifespan = amount it will hinder you for this guy to live. I was waiting to be crowned emperor, and it took the last emperor 20 more years then any other previous one to die. Making him around 60 years old I think?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: October 17, 2012, 09:06:50 am »

Also unlike CKII it's very hard to get rid of poor rulers. The best method is making him a general and smashing him against overwhelming forces and hoping he gets struck down.
Note that it is possible to get female rulers and they cannot become generals.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: October 19, 2012, 09:03:18 pm »

I'd guess that being in a slightly worse technology group with initially stronger troops is a big influence in the Muslim countries losing dominance.  That, combined with their generally bad provinces, is the main reason I would think they aren't up to stopping european nations.  They overextend while their troop advantage helps and then get beaten back as Europeans get better troops.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: October 19, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »

Don't forget crusades and defender of the faith as well. Any North African country with a crusade declared on them will be wiped out by the mandatory European dog-pile in no time. Not to mention Muslims trying to expand into Catholic territory and having to go against the current DotF which means either BBB, Bohemia or Castile. 

However, after playing CKII for a while I liked to go back to EUIII and have fun making the Muslims my bitch for a change. God damn Jihads for France.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:06 am »

I'd much prefer of if Muslims had the same techrate as Europeans, but had a lot of events that cause problems. EU3 pretty much forgoes anything but European events, which is annoying, but I suppose it saves a lot of dev time. If the tech groups were eliminated, I'd enjoy non-Europe games much more. Have province values, trade values, events, leaders, etc. be the tech drain, not some artificial thing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:12:17 am by Rex_Nex »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: October 20, 2012, 11:59:05 am »

Hopefully this hasn't already been posted here (I searched, didn't see anything). Anyone who plays the Magna Mundi mod may want to check out the Mare Apertum modmod by copx. It's basically a big bug-fixing project. Note that this is based on MMP2, not MMU or any other MM port to later versions of EU3.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 12:09:03 pm by TripJack »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: October 20, 2012, 12:16:48 pm »

Everytime someone mentions Magna Mundi I'm reminded of how the stand-alone game was cancelled and it makes me sad. That game sounded like it was going to be a work of art.
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 194