Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 194

Author Topic: Europa Universalis III  (Read 459367 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Europa Universalis III
« Reply #2385 on: September 23, 2012, 05:04:40 pm »

You all make me feel bad about my horrible eu3 skills.
Don't feel bad; I'm on my first campaign and I don't control all of the western Continent by 1425 as the BBB.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 14, 2012, 01:26:54 am »

I GIVE UP ON MOROCCO.

Seriously, I own all Northern Africa (All the way to the Mamelukes, and I own what was the Mameluke center of trade). Get in a fight with Sweden; all the sudden I have 10,000 Swedes sitting in my sand. Of course, my entire 28,000 man army (my entire forcelimit) loses terribly to them, meanwhile the Norwegians are following suite and landing another 10k on me.

There should be a mechanic that lowers your ability to fight in terrains vastly different from your homeland. Morocco and Sweden couldn't be more different.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 14, 2012, 01:29:47 am »

Try Granada. It has my vote for the hardest civ in EU3. Castille has cores on you, you have no army or navy that can match them, your economy is pathetic and finally even if you (somehow) managed to survive you'll become a crusade target in a few years.

Yannanth

« Reply #2388 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:31 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:00:29 pm by Yannanth »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 16, 2012, 03:48:19 am »

Native Americans have a couple centuries to live. Granada doesn't have 6 months.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 16, 2012, 03:55:25 am »

Granada is hard, but it is my favorite nation to play.
The most difficult is
- The first years (resisting the first war). In mods such as MEIOU it is much easier, since you can greatly improve your fort defence (and then , with small armies of 3000 men and a "+1 siege bonus" national idea  you can take 3 or 4 provinces of Castille before he even takes one.
- If Castille & Aragon unites
- When you takes back all the Andalusian culture provinces, because then even Aragon and Portugal (your new neighbour) will constantly try to destroy you, sometimes combined, often combined...

After 200 years of MEIOU (or vanilla) it's getting easier and easier, since your innovation bonuses (and fast westernalization) gives you an army asset against your opponent(s)...

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 16, 2012, 05:00:59 am »

I'm playing in D&T; might try out Granada. They start out as vassals to Castille, so unless Aragon allies with France, they usually last until Castille goes for Spain. Should make for a slightly easier game, at least as far as surviving the early game goes.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 16, 2012, 05:06:50 am »

Yeah they're a lot easier to play in mods than the base game. The base game has some balance issues. Granada being a vassal of Castile makes enough sense to me, weren't they paying tributes to Castile in 1399?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 16, 2012, 05:11:43 am »

Yeah, the base game does. Of course, in my experience with mods, they get rid of a lot of the balance issues that were in the base game and then introduce nearly as many of their own :P

Not sure myself, but I overheard some talk of why Granada was a vassal, and that seems about right. At the very least, I know for sure that being a vassal of Castille is more historically accurate then being at the verge of war.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 16, 2012, 07:03:27 am »

There were vassal since 1246, but Castille mostly stopped their attack after the great plague and during nearly one century, there was no attacks between the 2.

D&T interests me I'll try, but for now while I'm waiting for the next DF version, I have done several MEIOU games (a Granada game, a pagan lithuanian game and now a Maya game). But I have a lot of problems with AI inflation, westernalization is nearly broken, and colonisation is very slow. But the game is very well done, and very beautiful and a lot more detailled.

What are the advantages of playing D&T ?

It's fun, because at the beginning Magna Mundi was the most interesting mod, but this mod slowly began to be boring (and because they tried, unsuccessfuly to make their own game), while other mods were more and more advanced.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 16, 2012, 07:05:43 am »

D&T and is way closer to vanilla than MEIOU and Magna Mundi. Other that, I find it hard to compare such mods.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 16, 2012, 07:20:13 am »

Magna Mundi has sounded interesting to me for a while. Sadly I have Divine Wind on steam and the DW port of Magna Mundi is terrible. It was a real shame when the Magna Mundi stand alone fell through, it looked like it was going to be one fascinating game. 

I've played a few games with Death and Taxes and with all of it's claims of dynamic cores and the like I didn't find the gameplay all that different. The added features were nice and it was a bit of a step-up from Misc-mods that I was using before but it didn't suddenly feel like I was playing a new Europa game. I'll miss that dynamic colonial naming mechanic of Miscmods though.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 16, 2012, 07:53:32 am »

Colonisation has always been very hard to modelise in EU. This and the relation with natives.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 16, 2012, 09:04:15 am »

Yeah, it's one area that really needed more work. I have no idea how they could have done it, but it is a bit lacking.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21:30 am »

I think the EU series will always fall short when it comes to colonisation unless it implements a simplified population system from Victoria II. Without minorities and migration there's really no way to make colonisation and conversions interesting, in my opinion. 

The current argument that Paradox has against implementing such a feature is that it will take way too much time to research a historical representation of populations across the world. This is valid I suppose but it might be interesting to try something like crowd sourcing that information which they can't possibly research alone.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 194