Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Knifemurders: A Dig Deeper Community Fort  (Read 6177 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knifemurders: A Dig Deeper Community Fort
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 04:25:54 pm »

Hope gobbledigook arrives soon. Need a good millitary dwarf. Also, when you breach the caverns make an army squad down there in case of crundle hassling. I speak from experiance.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 04:30:00 pm »

Only military Dwarf so far is an immigrant with Novice fighting skills, weapon of choice being a spear. Not good enough, and I can't spare him... There is much work to be done.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 04:35:05 pm »

Spears can be decent, but I prefer axes/swords. Better for chopping.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »

NOTE: Wow I am pumping out updates fast! Once I hit year 2 I'll make them Yearly instead of Seasonal.

From the Journal of Morul Rigothimesh, Knifemurders Overseer. The 1st of Limestone, 104

Summer, too, has passed, rather uneventfully. The turkeys have given us many eggs, over a hundred at the last count. I left ten of the original batch to hatch, and during the early Summer they did. Turkey poults are quite disgusting, featherless creatures. Hopefully they will grow up soon, so we can butcher them and have some meat. Until then, the roost is being avoided by most of us, with the exception of those unlucky enough to be given the task of collecting the eggs.

The farm is coming along nicely, too. We are leaving off of Plump Helmets mostly, both in food and drink. That and turkey eggs. It gets tiring after a while, so I'm coming up with a plan for more diversity. Some of the Dwarves have been eyeing the horses that pulled our wagon here, but I have a better idea...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Underground, a few floors bellow our dining hall, my fellow miners and I have started a few exploratory shafts to search for ores. Already we have found veins of silver, gold, and copper, along with many gems and a very rare metal known as Aluminum. It's very light, and supposed to be as valuable as Platinum. I dream of an Aluminum chair for my office, but it may prove more prudent to sell our aluminum crafts.

Two migrants arrived during the summer, neither particularly useful. One is a skilled furnace operator, which will be handy once we start smelting ores and making glass, but for now he is simply another farmer. The other is a Grand Master Weaver, and a dabbler in the arts of combat. Neither our clothing industry nor military is ready for action, so he became our book keeper.

Speaking of furnaces, I made plans to dig out a large area for wood burning behind our wood crafting area. When we are ready to smelt ores, we will need charcoal; this will be the best place to get it.

Earlier I have written of a plan to produce more food. While chopping trees, our woodsdwarves have seen many of the local wildlife: deer, moose, a herd of camels (rather strange for a forest, I suppose, but there is a frozen desert not too far away) and many, many badgers. It is my hope that through careful Dwarven engineering, we will be able to capture a few of these beasts and breed them for meat.

I must go back to the mines; the lads speak of another vein. I will write another entry come Winter.

Glory to the Mountainhomes!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll see if I can get another season up today! I hope you're enjoying Knifemurders, and may your pick always strike gold!

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 06:36:10 pm »

Woah that's a lot of variety of metals there. It's a pretty nice fort so far, I wonder what will happen next.

If you could find a dwarf that likes a weapon type instead of waiting for a skilled weaponsmith, tou could train him from scratch and if he ever have a strange mood, you'll have a nice artefact.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 07:12:34 pm »

War camels! Keep them updates comin'.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 07:35:47 pm »

I was thinking meatbag camels. After all, glass needs lots of bags. And turkeys don't give much leather.

And yeah, lots of metals. I picked a place with multiple shallow and deep ores. No flux though, and I still haven't found iron. I don't think I have sedimantry layers but I have IE.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 07:59:26 pm »

And Cheveux just arrived. Well technically he's a metalcrafter, but in such a small fort he'll be doing all metalwork.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 08:03:06 pm »

Sweet! Could you post his thoughts and preferences screen? I might draw a little something if I have some free time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:04:53 pm by Cheveux »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »

Sure:

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 08:16:57 pm »

Thanks, funny how he kinda looks like what I wanted.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 08:19:45 pm »

Knifemurders works in mysterious ways!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 08:27:49 pm »

Tragedy has struck! Details will arrive with the Autumn update, but one of our skilled Dwarves has passed...

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:41 pm »

Nice i like the personallity you gave my dwarf. :D

The dwarfdom is strong in you tall one.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 11:57:49 pm »

Nice i like the personallity you gave my dwarf. :D

The dwarfdom is strong in you tall one.

Personality? I just used the most stereotypical Dwarf possible: Silent, stoic, and deathly afraid of trees! ;) :P

From the Journal of Morul Rigothimesh, Knifemurders Overseer. The 1st of Moonstone, 104

When Summer ended, I wished that it could have been more eventful. Now, after this deadly Autumn, I find myself yearning for the lazy calm of Summer.
Tragedy has struck our beautiful home of Knifemurders! Alath Ragzon, one of the two Dwarves who arrived last Summer, was out gathering plants when a group of badgers (dubbed as a "conga line" by Bojangles) assaulted him. The badgers weren't much of a threat and didn't do much more than bruise his skin, but then one particularly large badger leaped on him. Poor Alath wasn't hurt by that Goblin-screwing animal, but he tripped over a branch and fell into a murky pond. Before any of us realized what had happened, the poor Dwarf was dead.

He may have died under my watch, but I wasn't about to let his body rot away like that of a common beast of the forest. I took one of the picks and dug a tunnel into the pond, allowing it to drain out. We managed to retrieve the poor Dwarf, and I had him buried in the finest Dwarven tradition. We carved a room in one of our mining shafts, smoothed the walls, and put a coffin in its center. May Alath be blessed, and may his beard always be soaked in the finest Dwarven Ale!

Before I could turn my thoughts to revenge, I had more pressing matters to address. A supply caravan arrived from the Mountainhomes, and with it a Liaison. At this point, we did not have a trade post; I ordered the wood workers to hastily build one out of wood. We traded with the caravan and I dealt with the Liaison. According to him, the Mountainhome was very pleased with our progress. He promised to send much-needed migrants from the Mountainhome. So far, we've only had four locals from small Dwarven villages join us; hopefully some help from the Mountainhomes will arrive during the Winter.

Speaking of Winter, I am pleased to say that our little fort is well-prepared for the coming frost. We have two wells, one in the farming level and one in our dining hall, which is coming along nicely. We have sixteen tables and twice as many chairs; this is truly a dining hall fit for a Mountainhome. Indeed, much of our fort is too big. We have more furnaces and smelters than we could possibly man, and more bedrooms than Dwarves. I feel it is best this way; extra rooms will raise morale and make the transition easier when more Dwarves arrive.

Now that the Liaison has left, I am ready to enact my secret plan for revenge. I have not disclosed my plan to the other Dwarves, although based on the orders that they have been given, they probably suspect. I will say only this: If my plan succeeds, the threatening badgers will be reduced to nothing more than the meaty appetizer to our turkey-egg lunch, and I will personally sacrifice a badger at the foot of Alath's tomb every year on the anniversary of his death.

Praise to Alath Ragzon, who hast nobly laid down his life for the good of Knifemurders!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8