Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Knifemurders: A Dig Deeper Community Fort  (Read 6162 times)

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Knifemurders: A Dig Deeper Community Fort
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:11:37 am »

From the Journal of Morul Rigothimesh, Expedition Leader. The 1st of Granite, 104

It's been a year since I received my thrice-damned assignment to found this infernal outpost. In the dead of night, the High Priest of Amkin Stilledtruth the Morals of Right came to  me and told me of a vision he has had. He claimed that far away, in a place called Zasitusan, or Knifemurders, was a rich deposit of the most valuable metals. According to him, an outpost built here could one day rival the Great Mountainhomes in wealth. The bastard Priest also said that the damned King himself, may his beard be shaved by honey badgers and his blood be boiled in ale, personally requested me to lead an expedition to found said outpost. Methinks that fat hairy Elf-lover simply wanted me wife for himself, but I am a Dwarf and I do my duty. So I kissed me wife goodbye, braided my beard, and, accompanied by six common criminals and scum who were offered the chance to redeem their Dwarven honor through this journey, made the accursed trip.

Eleven months it took us, and we had to cross the ocean in a boat! A floating pile of wood! It ain't right for a Dwarf. For an Elf, sure, or for a Human; but me Dwarven feet are ill at ease unless there's solid rock bellow, and preferably above.

But no matter! We have arrived in The Oily Forests of the Continent of Staves, and here we will strike the earth for the glory of all Lolokfikod, The Granite Glaze!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hey guys! So this is my first fort in Dig Deeper, and my first community fort. I hope it entertains you guys!
If you want me to Dwarf you, please say so! I have the starting six now, but migrants should show up soon. I'll be taking suggestions as too what I should do, as long as they lead to !!FUN!!

And yes, the Expedition Leader is gonna be a sarcastic, bitter bastard for his entire life. Why do you ask? :P
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:13:18 am by UristMcDonald »

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knifemurders: A Dig Deeper Community Fort
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:17:45 am »

If you get a worthy dwarf, make them millita commander and name them Commander Gobbledigook

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:24:04 am »

If you get a worthy dwarf, make them millita commander and name them Commander Gobbledigook

sounds good to me! Oh, I forgot to mention, describe you dwarf's personality so I can work it into the story. When I have 200 dwarves I probably won't give them all stories, but early on it could be fun.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:39:32 am »

Commander Gobbledigook is crazy, and tribal. He uses bad grammar. Despite his craziness however, he will defend his people. Hes also creative when it comes to traps, and favors cave-ins. He hates elves and is wary of humans. He also seeks to make a millitary base in the caverns. Gobbledigook was comes to your fortress in order to seal his name in history forever. If a very powerful animal is tamed assign it to him. No matter what it is, it will be called fluffy.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:43:09 am »

Very nice! I love it. Can "talk funny" mean Scottish Accent? I want to make him the stereotypical High-Fantasy Dwarf.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:52:55 am »

More native american. Something diffirent. But if you want to give him a scottish accent go for it. But it has to be thick so hardly anyone can understand him.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:59:02 am »

Looking forward for more!

I'll take a weaponsmith.

As long as he's working with weapons, he's happy.
Kind of the "old" (not really that old) wise guy, likes to laugh and pretty burly guy from all that weapon making too.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:17:37 am »

One day, Gobbledigook will have a dragon...

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 08:15:45 am »

I would like a miner/mechanic (gender dont matter) He/she loves to create !!Science!! and loves magma ale.

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:14:09 am »

If I could be Bojangles the miner that would be great. And hell, if you need to, make him the pick wielding maniac of the military.

Bojangles is a jovial sphere of a dwarf, happy with whatever situation he is in. Despite having one of the most dangerous jobs in the fortress, he is constantly smiling and laughing, annoying the others out of their minds. In fact, this is exactly what he got thrown into prison for. One officer in the mountain homes got so annoyed at his laughing that he had him locked away for "Disturbing the Peace".
But that didn't stop Bojangles being happy as ever and, as a result, got beaten by many of his cellmates, leaving him strong mentally and physically. Recognising his strength and false imprisonment, the king had Bojangles join the expedition as a miner, to dig out a fortress fit for royalty.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 10:19:19 am »

This is eerie - _I_ have a fortress called Knifemurders.  It's 50 years old, filled with the wails of the dead and damned, has SEVERAL mass graveyards that mostly came from a single tantrum spiral, magma on-tap to the surface, and once sent a badly-crippled legless dwarf crawling from the magma sea level to the surface and back, repeatedly, to make an artifact.  You guys have a lot of work if you want to out-do mine  8).  If it's okay, can I get dwarfed as That Aussie Dwarf - Bigger Knife Wielder?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:24:33 am by ThatAussieGuy »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 11:59:08 am »

I'll post an update on the first day of Summer. Didn't get a chance to play much, but I should have Spring (at least!) done tonight.

DWARVES!!!!

Dwarved:
Spaghetti7: Bojangles (crazy miner)
Wypie: Wypie (normal miner)

Waiting to be Dwarved:
ThatAussieGuy: That Aussie Dwarf (Swordsdwarf AKA Bigknifedwarf)
Cheveux: Cheveux (old wise weaponsmith)
Masked_Hunter1825: Commander Gobbledigook (crazed militia leader, with a pet named Fluffy)

It might be a while before we have a militia or a weapon industry, so hold tight!

Prixel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:46 pm »

I wouldn't mind being Dorf'd.
Engraver/Mason if you can, "Prixel" if male, "Prixie" is female.  :D
I'll be sure to keep an eye and a half on this fort!

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:10:24 pm »

From the Journal of Morul Rigothimesh, Knifemurders Overseer. The 1st of Hematite, 104

Ye know the old saying, "Time flies when you're having fun"? Well, based on my experiences in Knifemurders, time flies when you're suffering, too. I was planning on recording what happens in this thrice-damned Elf-hole on a monthly basis, but before I knew it, it was Summer already. I suppose until things get settled down, future historians won't mind if I write down our records seasonly.

So we arrived in this place the night before New Years. We didn't have much, just two brass axes, three brass picks, and a bunch of turkeys. An old drinking buddy of mine from the Mountainhomes swears by 'em; said that if I took eight turkeys, I wouldn't have any food problems for my entire life. I took his advice, although in retrospect, his record isn't that great. His last fort was razed by Orcs, which is why the fool was in the Mountainhomes in the first place.

So I took one of the picks and with two other Dwarves who claimed to know a thing or two about mining, I started clearing a hole in the hill. I sent two of the others to chop wood for us, and the last two to gather plants.

That stupid hill was made of sand, which made digging easy, but meant we'd have to go deeper before we found some good old Dwarf-worthy stone. I decided to mine a wood-crafting chamber up in the top level. Wood has to be brought in from outdoors, so it should be higher up; and the damn Elf-sympathizers who work with wood in the first place probably wouldn't mind. Wood may be a necessary evil, but I certainly don't have to like it.

Digging down, we found some nice, rich soil. I decided to make this level our farming level. We mined a huge farm, and a nice, safe pit for the turkeys. When we start training fighters, I figure we'll put them here too, so they can get to the surface to face any threats as quickly as possible.

I suppose I should describe my fellow Dwarves. Well, even though we've been here for a few months, I only really got to know the two other miners. I've been digging nonstop since I got here, which doesn't leave much time to talk to others. The first miner is named Bojangles. Darn bastard is hyper as a Gnome, and always happy. He won't shut up for a minute.... I can see why he was sent on a mission to a far-away land from which he may never return. Why, last week, when we were mining out a bedroom, he picked up one of the broken rocks that landed on the ground and went on happily about how much it looks like my face for three whole hours. The bastard works well though, so I'll just have to send him off to mine far-away areas.

The other miner is Wypie. She doesn't talk much, so I don't know much about her. I think she's still embarrassed over the Tree Incident...

When we first got here, it was night. Wypie, in fact, was asleep on the cart. We parked the cart and started digging right away, before any nasty forest critters, or even nastier Elves, showed up. I woke Wypie up and ordered her to dig before she could look around much, so the next morning when she stepped out of our hole was the first time she saw the Outdoors around our outpost. I was digging the farm area at the time, but I could hear her screams all the way from the surface. She dashed down the stairs and ran to me, screaming "They're everywhere! We're completely surrounded!" I ordered Bojangles to barricade the stairs (which he did while whistling... Damn Gnome-hugger, we thought the others were dead at the time!) and calmed her down.

"What is it? Goblins? Orcs? Gibberers?" I asked, fearing the worst.
"They're everywhere! They're huge!" was her only reply.
"Ogres? Giants? Trolls?!" I yelled, but she only sobbed. Finally, I slapped her.
"What is it?! Get a hold of yourself, Dwarf! You're acting like an Elf!"
That did the trick. She took a deep breath, and said, "The trees! They're everywhere!"

It took me three hours to explain to her that trees were inanimate objects, which is why we made beds out of them.
"But that's when they're dead! You would wear a turkey leather hat, but would you put a live turkey on your head?"

She still hates going outside the fort. Still, I don't judge her too harshly. We all have our flaws... Like rambling. That's one of my flaws, and what I am doing now. Back to business!

Around mid-Spring, I realized that the ponds around us and the nearby stream would all freeze in the Winter. To ensure we had water during the Winter, we dug a huge reservoir.

At first, we channeled the water from one of the nearby pools, but we realized that we didn't have enough. So we connected the reservoir to the nearby stream instead, and it is now completely full. It is twice as deep as our tunnels are high, and very long and wide; we should have no water problems.

By Late-Spring, we had dug down to the stone levels. It is here that I ordered the construction of a huge dining hall, a series of bedrooms, and a large rooms where we will make stone objects and mechanisms, and cut jewels.

And that is all that happened in Knifemurders this Spring. I have drawn the plans of our current Outpost, and they are attached to the next page of this journal.

Glory to The Granite Glaze and to Knifemurders!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:11:58 pm by UristMcDonald »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 03:17:03 pm »

Hey guys! I hope you're enjoying the (soon to be) Epic Saga of Knifemurders! And that sounds like a novel where about a series of murders done using knives, so maybe I should stop saying that!

My future plans for the fortress are to expand the underground area until I find Iron and begin a smelting industry and to start a glass-making industry up on the top floor, but as always, I am open to suggestions for the Future of Knifemurders! And if you have a Dwarf when you make a suggestion, the Dwarf himself will be the one suggesting it!

There are 4 unnamed Dwarves in the fort, two wood workers and two "peasants", which really means food-industry workers. So if you want to claim one of them, you are more than welcome too! Other requests will await future migrants.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8