Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Strongest Dwarves  (Read 3905 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strongest Dwarves
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:14:27 pm »

Everyone knows them. Everyone has them. Everyone loves them. BADASS DWARVES.

For instance, from my fort of Twoiron, Commander Morigan killed 2 forgotten beasts and wiped out several goblin ambushes alone.

Captain One-arm who, as his name implies lost his arm in battle (with a FB), killed a titan solo and had his last stand against clowns and goblins in the tomb that I made him.

And Batenburg, the giant bat that took out a minotaur.

From Anvilshimmer, every single member of the Crows.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 12:47:19 am »

Ast Dastottilesh the woodcutter that killed a goblin lasher singlehandedly... with a wooden axe.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 01:31:47 am »

In my current fortress, I have Vucar Helmscloudy, The Perfect Ankle of Tarnish.

I got hit by two ambushes, and my A squad was dealing with the southern one. The B squad took the north, and half ran away before running into battle and dying. The 8 goblins meet and approach my hovel in the ground, and Vucar runs out towards them with an iron axe. I figure, well, this'll be over quick.

A few secnds later, Vucar was the only thing standing and there were a bunch of limbs scattered all around the pile of corpses. It was... quite unexpected, and he was immediately promoted to the militia commander to replace the spine-nervous-damaged former commander.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 03:38:21 am »

I had a spearmaster once. She got attached to (mostly) copper armor and a bronze spear, so I thought her rather worthless... until I sent her squad of 7 against 40 goblins, many of them ranged attackers with one master marksgoblin. Her friends all got slaugthered in the first few seconds, but she just ran in and finished the whole siege off alone. There were moments, when literally every tile around her had a bolt flying in it. 20 bolts aimed at her and she just kept going, casually dodging projectiles as she went to stab one goblin after the other. Spear to the head, grab, twist, pull out, spear to the heart, grab, twist, dodge a few times, spear to the head again, dodge some more, repeating the whole thing for several pages of combat reports. I imagine the situation as a mix between Matrix and Hero. Later on, she also killed some fire breathing badger titan almost single-handedly, but died from infection after the thing had chewed off one of her fingers :(
A always preferred hammers and axes for my military, as they seem most dwarfy, but now I always keep a few speardwarves as well... playing golf with heads is one thing, but winning a 1:40 battle with a pointy stick is just epic.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

HunterCyprus93

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:18:35 pm »

I had a spearmaster once. She got attached to (mostly) copper armor and a bronze spear, so I thought her rather worthless... until I sent her squad of 7 against 40 goblins, many of them ranged attackers with one master marksgoblin. Her friends all got slaugthered in the first few seconds, but she just ran in and finished the whole siege off alone. There were moments, when literally every tile around her had a bolt flying in it. 20 bolts aimed at her and she just kept going, casually dodging projectiles as she went to stab one goblin after the other. Spear to the head, grab, twist, pull out, spear to the heart, grab, twist, dodge a few times, spear to the head again, dodge some more, repeating the whole thing for several pages of combat reports. I imagine the situation as a mix between Matrix and Hero. Later on, she also killed some fire breathing badger titan almost single-handedly, but died from infection after the thing had chewed off one of her fingers :(
A always preferred hammers and axes for my military, as they seem most dwarfy, but now I always keep a few speardwarves as well... playing golf with heads is one thing, but winning a 1:40 battle with a pointy stick is just epic.

Sounds like you had yourself an Achilles!

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »

Sounds like you had yourself an Achilles!

Achilles Finger doesn't sound nearly as cool though.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 04:39:41 pm »

Thats pretty awesome.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 04:43:22 pm »

I'd like to nominate my 1st Army (name, not descriptor) - a 9-dwarf squad consisting of 4 swordsdwarves, 2 hammer dwarves, 2 spear dwarves, and a axedwarf. I handpicked them from the 10 strongest dwarves in my fortress - all of them had the 'extradornilary strong' tag. They were my first dedicated fighting force for my current megafortress, they are all equipped with masterwork iron armor, and masterwork iron weapons (save the 2 hammerers, who have bronze hammers). As soon as I drafted them all, they went into a rigorous training course (didn't use danger rooms - they're sorta cheap), and when they finished they were all legendary in their assigned weapon, also legendary in armor user, shield user, and dodger. The training course did end up with one dwarf killed by a draltha, though... but worth it.

Not only have they been my first force, they've been my only force for 8 years of fortress-running. I have never lost a dwarf in this fortress so far, nor has one ever been injured. not even my military. that's right.

Anyway... my 9 dwarves have defended my fortress from 8 years of sieges, including being outnumbered 20-to-1 during a siege, and still coming out of it. Well - not just surviving and fending off a 8-squad siege, but surviving without a single scratch/bruise on any of them. They got hurt more during training.

Special thanks to the axedwarf in the group, Aban Shaftgem - after a weaponsmith created a platinum battle axe I assigned it to one of my swordsdwarves, which then went a re-training in battle-axe 101. Once he was up to legendary, he was pitted against a Bronze colossus. solo. The rest of the army was down in the mines, fending off a FB incursion. He did this:
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:46:17 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »

I've got a dwarf in my military whose lower spine was fractured.  Naturally this gave him the "Ability to stand lost" in his health screen.  Well, he didn't like the sound of that so after being fixed up by the doctors he just stood right up and went back to being a soldier.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »

I had a hunter. Got injured pretty badly in a hunting accident, where she tried to hunt something three times her size, and was quickly smacked away. It then gleefully ripped off one of her arms, and another of her legs.
So, although she was gravely wounded, and was trying to crawl away, she continued her fight, holding off the creature until the Emergency Rescue-The-Idiots squad could swoop in and kill the thing.
She then survived, and went on to crawl her way through the forest, killing all in her path.
Finally, I got impatient with her constant slow pace, so I assigned her as the squad-leader of a bunch of untrained marks-dwarves, tossed a crossbow in her hands, and told her to hop to it.
She's put the fear of Armok into them since then.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 12:57:11 am »

The crows were pretty good. Genesis mod, entire squad of dwarves using bronze xbows and full crow leather armor. Against a siege they owned. Unfortunatly, the leader died in combat against an obsidan gem tick, fought it near a ledge and got knocked into the depths and broke everything in his body. Oh yeah, and my fisherdwarf. While a bee forgotten beast was busy snapping the legs of a farmer a fisherdwarf runs down the hallway and punchs the beast in the face, killing it instantly.

He became a captain after that.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 01:51:05 am »

Unfortunately, the leader died in combat against an obsidian gem tick, fought it near a ledge and got knocked into the depths and broke everything in his body.

"Ow.  I broke my everything.  Hey.. I'm still alive down here!  Hello? ... Anyone?"

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 04:11:41 am »

I still have Udib Inkypanted, The Trussed Chaos of Machines - he wields an artifact spear, a named spear and an iron battle axe all in one hand with an artifact shield on the other arm.  He's a Legendary Speardwarf and Proficient Axedwarf.  The only way to describe him in combat is that he ENDS any fight he's involved in.  Eagle-mounted elves got inside the fort - he came in behind them and scattered eagle legs and elf arms everywhere.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:25:23 am »

Ah, I had a dwarf which was the captain of a 10-dwarf squad. Each dwarf was legendary in their weapon and their defensive skills. Nearly every single one was superdwarvenly tough, agile, strong, spatial and kinetic sense, yadda yadda yadda.

The captain, I named 'Killsmith' (+1 to whoever gets the reference). A legendary speardwarf, wielding an artifact steel chest, adamantine spear, steel shield, FB (which he slew) bone helmet (I assume he looks through the eye sockets like a badass) and he had close to 200 kills in his 50 year long career (and still going strong). He got hit by FB gas, which made him permanently numb all over forever.

I liked him.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 08:23:00 pm »

Unfortunately, the leader died in combat against an obsidian gem tick, fought it near a ledge and got knocked into the depths and broke everything in his body.

"Ow.  I broke my everything.  Hey.. I'm still alive down here!  Hello? ... Anyone?"
'

More like..

Crow leader has died after hitting an obstacle. That tick got decapitated by a bronze sword.
Pages: [1] 2