Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Organized Crime RPG  (Read 8853 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Organized Crime RPG
« on: August 25, 2011, 10:40:35 pm »

Hello all,

I'm trying to find a pen and paper RPG dealing with organized crime, a subject touched upon in our media through shows like the Sopranos and movies like the Godfather. I've had no luck, so maybe somebody else has heard of one (or, better yet, played one!). There's a bonus if it covers some level of police investigation into crimes the characters may commit, even in a relatively abstract way, so as to encourage subtletly.

Conversely, an RPG based around police and detective work would actually work equally well.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organized Crime RPG
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

Huh. I actually new one of these, but damned if I can't remember the name.

Admittedly, there's quite a few I can think of WITH organized crime and organized crime campaigns, but most are science fiction or fantasy, and it sounds like you want something more contemporary... hmmm...

The only one I can think of there is Crime Network: Cosa Nostra, and I've never actually played it, so I have no idea if its any good.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:51:03 pm »

Not that I've ever heard of, Grakelin.  An RPG where the players set up a Syndicate or join a Mafia Family would be cool though.  I got my start into 'most' gaming through pen-and-paper RPGs, but I"ve never seen or heard of a organized crime or detective-based RPG before.  Sorry omae.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:55:04 pm »

Shadowrun is a game in which player actions are majorly crime focused, though the ruleset allows plenty of leeway to play from the other side of the badge. The setting might be a little out of the scope you're looking for though.
This is not a signature.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:12:44 pm »

Why don't we invent something like that?  With hard-set rules, but with enough flexibility so that the game is more fun? 

I can imagine a sort of D&D campaign with this. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:42:02 pm »

You may want to check out Grimith's Liberal Crime Squad Tabletop game for some inspiration, it's pretty cool and available on the Voltron Army forums - don't have a specific link handy.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:45:54 pm »

Why don't we invent something like that?  With hard-set rules, but with enough flexibility so that the game is more fun? 

I can imagine a sort of D&D campaign with this.

Great idea. I don't have the time commitment available to produce anything like this, though.

If you go ahead with this plan, can you make its own thread for it? For now, I want to use this thread as a place to leave RPGs I find on the theme, as well as to continue getting suggestions.

So far, I've found Leverage, apparently based on some TV show. Will give the previews a look, though the Cortex systems never get any support. Also, this seems more 'Super Spy' than 'Street Criminal'.

There are 38 core rulebooks in the 'Modern, Detective/Crime' genre. Most are not quite what I'm looking for, either (with bits like time travel superhereos tossed in). Mean Streets looks like a mid-20th century take on the concept.

Dogtown, is a game which is now free (though you have to log-in. It looks to be a part of RPGnow, so I will check to see if my RPGDriveThru account will work), that seems to be set in the 70s.

Found a sourcebook called 'Mobsters' using something called the 'Scorpio system'. Unfortunately, the only place I can find info on either of these things is inside somebody's massive collection of pirated RPGs, so there's no link. It seems to me like enough of an indication that's it's probably not the best choice anyway.

There are multiple sourcebooks for the mafia in d20 Modern, but that goes without saying.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:58:16 pm by Grakelin »
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 11:57:40 pm »

Well, there's always Liberal Crime Squad (if you aren't familiar with it already).

Derp, PnP. Hmm, needs to be a LCS PnP game...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:14 am »

There is one, according to Tilla. Haven't gone looking for it yet (not quite what I'm looking for in theme anyway).

Found the Scorpio Mobsters game. It's near the bottom.

Mob Justice has a flashy website, but Outbreak: Undead indicated to me that a flashy website doesn't equate to a well-written book (Outbreak: Undead has a decent rules system, probably the best among the zombie genre, but it is a terribly edited sourcebook. Wish I'd gotten it in .pdf instead of print).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:02:18 am by Grakelin »

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:58:41 am »

You could mangle some of the espionage RPGs to leave out whatever you don't think will fit - if you want a high-tech worldwide shadow syndicate, then actually you wouldn't leave out much...

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 01:06:29 am »

you could just use d20 modern. The theme (gangsters) is the setting, not the ruleset.  You probably dont need your books to have pictures of gangsters for it to be a gangster game.

you just need a modern ruleset to deal with guns, vehicles, etc. The rest is RP and flavor.
I got nothing

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 01:15:46 am »

Shadowrun is a game in which player actions are majorly crime focused, though the ruleset allows plenty of leeway to play from the other side of the badge. The setting might be a little out of the scope you're looking for though.

The GMs on Deckeon (A Shadowrun MUD) organize crimes, and the players commit them.  But that's not really what you mean.

...Although, I've really enjoyed the two kidnappings I've participated in on the server.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:45:40 am »

you could just use d20 modern. The theme (gangsters) is the setting, not the ruleset.  You probably dont need your books to have pictures of gangsters for it to be a gangster game.

you just need a modern ruleset to deal with guns, vehicles, etc. The rest is RP and flavor.

I'm not a big fan of d20 Modern. I've used nWoD in the past, but the main problem with both is that killings are impossible to do cleanly, so the characters always go to jail whenever they got into a fight.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:31 am »

This game isn't particularly serious, so it may not be suitable, but I remembered it from a while ago:Violence the Roleplaying Game.
Oh, it links straight to the PDF file, so it's kinda a big file.

Doubt that's really what you're looking for, though. :-\ This sort of setting sounds like fun, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 07:03:46 am »

There is one, according to Tilla. Haven't gone looking for it yet (not quite what I'm looking for in theme anyway).

Found the Scorpio Mobsters game. It's near the bottom.

Mob Justice has a flashy website, but Outbreak: Undead indicated to me that a flashy website doesn't equate to a well-written book (Outbreak: Undead has a decent rules system, probably the best among the zombie genre, but it is a terribly edited sourcebook. Wish I'd gotten it in .pdf instead of print).

This Mobsters PFD looks really good for this, I too would like a Mob/Crime related rpg :D
Pages: [1] 2