Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Games with player-designed equipment?  (Read 2286 times)

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
Re: Games with player-designed equipment?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 01:18:33 pm »

Space Empires 4 (No, NOT 5) battles are all about ship designs. At least the large ones. As long as the technological difference isn't gargantuan (and it never is. There are no I-WIN research traits as there were in MOO) it all comes down to ship design and strategy.

Space Empires 4! Remember that tittle, Sunny Jim! (and never play against the vanilla AI, it's beyond hopeless. You will never be even remotely close to losing the game)

Edit : God damn you all to hell.. Now i'm forced to install Space Empires 4 AGAIN :D

I used to have loads of fun with SE4, the only thing I never liked thas the extremely high micromanagement. I like some micro, but after so many turns, it just become too much. Anyways, it is just right there below moo2 and sots, and above anything else.
The bigest plus on sv4 for me was the extremely modeable platform. And ease to add content. So much fun in a galaxy where there are shadows and vorlons, galactic empire and rebels, federation of planets, klingons and borgs, and antarans, psilons, and orions, and much more.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 01:24:38 pm »

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 02:05:26 pm »

Well, I'm pretty sure this might not be a good place to post, but WoW is bringing out a patch where you can change what your armor looks like.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »

The GearHead mecha games allows customization of mechs, and the ability to succeed on the rolls depends on the Mecha Engineering trait.

Unfortunately, it doesn't run on 64 bit systems, so I can no longer play it.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 06:02:18 pm »

GearHead runs on my computer, and I'm rolling Vista 64-bit.
Nothing important here, move along.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 06:11:26 pm »

Unless you're running some non-existent OS that is 100% 64-bit (no, none of them are yet), you still run 32-bit applications in a 32-bit environment just fine.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 07:10:03 pm »

sword of the stars is pretty much the opposite of in-depth. Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot, but the shipbuilding is very shallow.

Well if it means anything, Sword of the Stars 2 may offer a lot more ship customization, coupled with a vastly more complex tech tree. (So called a tech forest by the devs)

As for the topic, a relatively obscure robot building/fighting game is Robot Arena 2. It's along the lines of the actual robot battles such as Battlebots or Robot Wars.
Good luck finding it though. I'm not sure any major online carriers have it.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 07:28:44 pm »

Robot arena 2 is not obscure, it's an old favourite of mine!
Hmm, maybe I should reinstall Gearhead/GH2...

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 08:06:31 pm »

Oh, Cargo! looks cool tech-wise, but the premise looks... odd. Subject passengers to highest G-forces or what?
Somone should make a shooter or something with that engine though, I'd play it!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 11:26:20 pm »

Oh, Cargo! looks cool tech-wise, but the premise looks... odd. Subject passengers to highest G-forces or what?
Somone should make a shooter or something with that engine though, I'd play it!
Yeah, like I said, it really lacks 'game'. If there was a multiplayer shooter style game with the engine it would be extremely popular.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2011, 02:44:54 am »

Unless you're running some non-existent OS that is 100% 64-bit (no, none of them are yet), you still run 32-bit applications in a 32-bit environment just fine.

How?  My Windows 7 laptop yells at me and kills the program, every time I try anything 32-bit.  Yea, my very existent OS is 100% 64-bit, far as I can tell.

And yes, I did just now try Gearhead.  Fatal exceptions, etc.  It won't work.   :'(

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2011, 01:38:44 pm »

How?  My Windows 7 laptop yells at me and kills the program, every time I try anything 32-bit.  Yea, my very existent OS is 100% 64-bit, far as I can tell.
95% of applications out there are still 32-bit.  If you don't have a 32-bit environment available, you wouldn't be able to run any of them.
Just what do you do on that computer?

Sounds more like you're missing prerequisites of some kind, but I wouldn't have any idea what.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:25 am »

And yes, I did just now try Gearhead.  Fatal exceptions, etc.  It won't work.   :'(

Right-click shortcut>Properties, Compatibility, Run in comaptibility mode for Windows XP(SP3), tick on "run as administrator", apply, and try again.
I do that with Crysis and GTA SA..
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 09:11:34 am »

The LP in my sig has ship design as a big part of the game...
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 [2]