Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Games with player-designed equipment?  (Read 2294 times)

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Games with player-designed equipment?
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:30:10 pm »

Does anyone here know of any (preferably multiplayer) games where actual player skill in engineering vehicles/magic/weapons/drones/tools/buildings/etc. is a factor?

I have this constant itch for being feared for my own custom deathmachine which is only partially scratched by Mechwarrior 4: Mercs MP3.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Games with player-designed equipment?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:29:08 pm »

Does anyone here know of any (preferably multiplayer) games where actual player skill in engineering vehicles/magic/weapons/drones/tools/buildings/etc. is a factor?

I have this constant itch for being feared for my own custom deathmachine which is only partially scratched by Mechwarrior 4: Mercs MP3.

I have no idea if this is what you're looking for, but Sword of the Stars' ship design system is pretty in depth, I still haven't made a perfect design yet.

Or Aurora's design system, even more in depth, and also more confusing with few visual aids. No MP though, if that's a factor.

If you're looking for actual "equipment", I have no idea, besides every FPS on the market.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32:03 pm »

Vehicles:
Kerbal Space Program (1 P, free-beta, payed-product)
Shores of Hazeron (MMO completely free)
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

rademenes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »

Spacebuild for GMOD. There's a bit of a learning curve especially if you want to use the wire mod with your ship designs.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:39:16 pm »

sword of the stars is pretty much the opposite of in-depth. Don't get me wrong, I like the game a lot, but the shipbuilding is very shallow.

Aurora is completely absurdly in-depth, it's fun if you can tolerate the lack of graphics... DF-like UI, bugs, etc that come with it being a free hobby project of one guy.

kerbal space program is also fun but there's not a whole lot to do after you figure out how to get into orbit and it's not really that hard to do. Still worth a few hours of fun and it's free (for now).
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:16:14 pm »

I've tried Spacebuild (would be great if my computer didn't struggle with Source engine already)... I should get back into that. Do the servers out there use PewPew or GCX/Gcombat? (And how exactly (baring PewPew numpad features) do you go about ARMING a wiremodless ship? Let alone getting engines on par with Adv. Gyropods! good thing I can Wire!)

Shores of Hazeron is fun, but it doesn't work on my (old, ATI) graphics card, and the other computer in the house that used to run it had issues connecting recently, then died completely. Hmm... Dad is in Newfoundland on a job... his computer is new and not in use...

I tried Aurora a while ago, it was fun but really confusing and buggy. Plus, I think rather visually. Also the UI is atroctious! I may just have to reinstall it though...

FAKEEDIT: Vetted by telephone to install SOH on his computer... probably runs like a dream compared to what I'm used to. Just server and network latency...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 12:03:55 am »

Does Master of Orion 2 count?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

rademenes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 02:58:26 am »

I don't quite remember but I'm thinking both GCombat and PewPew allowed you to manually 'activate' the weapon when in proximity to it. Spacebuild 3 was especially designed to assemble ships with prefabs and had components that you could weld on to make quick, effective engines/thrusters -- make ship quickly, get into the fun of combat. Personally, though, we used the spacebuild resource system, PewPew, PHX and wiremod for sea battles. Wire up a bomb with thrusters and toss in the water for a make-shift torpedo. Crude? Yes. Satisfying when it hits the other ship and sinks it? Like you wouldn't believe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:29:09 am »

Try Beyond Protocol. It's a formerly subscription-based MMORTS, but the company folded. Fortunately, they made the game open source. Jocan2003 is hosting a private server.

You design your own units and buildings, from customized armor, weapons, engines, sensors, and shields. I think there are over 100 material types, and you can make alloys from them.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:38 am »

Space Empires 4 (No, NOT 5) battles are all about ship designs. At least the large ones. As long as the technological difference isn't gargantuan (and it never is. There are no I-WIN research traits as there were in MOO) it all comes down to ship design and strategy.

Space Empires 4! Remember that tittle, Sunny Jim! (and never play against the vanilla AI, it's beyond hopeless. You will never be even remotely close to losing the game)

Edit : God damn you all to hell.. Now i'm forced to install Space Empires 4 AGAIN :D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 07:44:40 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:02 am »

Star Ruler has pretty good ship design. Although I'm not sure what the OP means by custom equipment when mech warriors is given. From my experience, none of the equipment is modifiable, the vehicles on the other hand are modular but that's about it.

I would also like to raise the game Moon project and the rest of the series as example of units you can create from an abundance of parts.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:56:32 am »

Cargo! is entirely about this.
It's somewhat lacking game, but it's insanely enjoyable to try to make bizarre and amazingly effective vehicles.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:25:25 am »

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - you design your own units.
Master of Magic has build custom magic items, they can make a HUGE difference to your heroes.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 11:47:07 am »

Warzone 2100 might count, though you only get to pick weapon, chassis and propulsion system from a limited number of options. Personally, I always found it to be the weakest aspect of the game.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:15:12 pm »

Second Life

I win.
Pages: [1] 2