Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "You have found a curious underground structure"...  (Read 4103 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Re: "You have found a curious underground structure"...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:57 pm »

Ehehehehe.
See if you can find anything close on this page.

It's not a stock item, it's a construction. You should find it in the room/construction/whatever list.
It's not possible to just "nick" these things - they're in world tiles entire. No natural creation, including biome, can be smaller than an embark tile, or spread out individually - they have to be zones for that.

Found it... an upright candy longsword, on my "Rooms" menu. Holy Carp... it's on level 90, only 36 levels below the surface!
Never pet a burning dog.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 09:45:42 pm »

If you go for it, it's a good idea to have a bit of a military up... it's in the third cavern layer, after all, and there are some nasties down there.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:56:22 pm »

Actually, as long as you set your masons to wall off the area the second the cotton candy stick is taken out, you should be relatively safe. Your FPS, however, may still suffer greatly.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 09:59:51 pm »

Is this good?  :P

My fort is in its second year, with thirty-odd Dwarves and no Military.
Fool!!! Leave the sword! Melting stuff only leaves a fraction of a bar, anyways. Once the sword is removed, all Hell will break loose! This is irreversable!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
will raid your fortress, leading to your instadeath. Taking the sword without having a fully trained, experienced, and armoured military of at least a thousand strong is not NOT NOT recommended.

But, yeah, abandon and come back to the fort in adventure mode.

bah, lies and blasphemy. i've reclaimed a couple of these rare jewels without any harm coming to my fort.
Maybe you used advanced world gen and ordered there be no Demons? Or did you place a normal floor over the glowing one?

Actually, as long as you set your masons to wall off the area the second the cotton candy stick is taken out, you should be relatively safe. Your FPS, however, may still suffer greatly.
Or, just build a normal floor over the glowing one.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:29 pm »

Actually, I discovered it while channeling a hole into the roof of a Magma chamber, to set up a Forge.

I have a super-safe way of mining cotton candy... not so much to avoid the clowns, but to protect my FPS until I'm ready for the Grand Finale. When I find a cotton candy deposit, I first mine out all the normal rock around it, so that I can see its shape. Then I mine out all of the cotton candy that cannot possibly conceal a 4x4 block (because it's the wrong shape). I leave the questionable bits for later.

That way, my FPS never drops.

In the current case, though, I was just channeling down to an already-located Magma deposit in order to set up my Forge and Smelter operation when I got the mysterious message. Apparently, there's a direct open connection between the Magma Sea and the "curious underground structure".

The weird thing is that when I zoom to the upright weapon, it jumps the screen to level 90, only 36 levels below the open surface. That's rather shallow for this sort of structure, isn't it? It's actually several levels ABOVE my Forges.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:09:45 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 01:15:59 am »

the cake sword is a lie.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

csebal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:36:41 am »

In the current case, though, I was just channeling down to an already-located Magma deposit in order to set up my Forge and Smelter operation when I got the mysterious message. Apparently, there's a direct open connection between the Magma Sea and the "curious underground structure".

The weird thing is that when I zoom to the upright weapon, it jumps the screen to level 90, only 36 levels below the open surface. That's rather shallow for this sort of structure, isn't it? It's actually several levels ABOVE my Forges.

Hmm.. it might be that the structure is close to a magma lake at the bottom and since pipes are connected to the lake at the bottom, you chanelling into the pipe could easily cause a part of the bottom to be revealed. Unlikely, but not impossible.

Also, unless this is a volcano reaching all the way to the top, you must have already breached the first cavern layer to find a magma pipe reaching high enough. These structures can - although rarely - reach the first cavern layer in some cases. It is entirerily possible, that a stray cat went exploring the caverns while you were digging into the pipe and thats how you jave found the structure.

Those are my two best theories.

Oh as for the cake.. it was not a lie, but I already ate it, sorry. Cotton candy on the other hand, now thats a different story.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:39:24 am by csebal »

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 02:50:02 am »

I'll come clean. The sword is guarded by legions of undead. To be honest they're not very dangerous, and a few armed dwarves will cut through them quickly. The only problem is that the dwarves will get lots of bad thoughts and could start tantruming. The pay off, though, is the best weapon in the game.

Nunzillor

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 03:28:56 am »

Wall off the area.  That should stop most of them.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 04:15:44 am »

Trust us, the honourable Bay 12 community, always there, always so trusting. Now, go GET THAT SWORD! it works great, trust me, I've found serveral of these structures, the only pain about it is the undead, and that's minor.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Videonfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Now you know why you should fear the night
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 06:03:40 am »

Get that sword.Don't care about military anyway,just put a door to block the undead :P
You just can't trust allies

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 06:44:11 am »

Go to the sword site with a reasonable military (the zombies there make miasma that clogs up your PC).
Ba
Kill zombies.
Send useless migrant to fetch the sword.
Oh and have a LONG hallway full of repeating spear traps linked to some lever between your fort and the sword site.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 08:52:41 am »

This exact same thread happened before. HFS is involved if you get too greedy, as always.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 11:55:20 am »

Guys, I think emu knows about the sword, and the only weird thing is the position of it compared to where he found the message.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 12:22:02 pm »

Oddly enough, there is no "special sword" on my stocks screen. I have a Proficient Record Keeper, set to highest precision, with my inventory records fully up-to-date... and all I see on my stocks screen are my four Picks (for my Miners), two Axes (for my Woodcutters) and one Crossbow (for my Hunter). No mysterious weapons.

I think my embark might have just nicked the edge of a "curious underground structure", with the really interesting part of it left off-map.

You haven't discovered the whole thing yet.

Remember: Untrained, defenceless civilians have the longest line of sight!
[Signature]
Pages: 1 [2] 3