Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: "You have found a curious underground structure"...  (Read 4112 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
"You have found a curious underground structure"...
« on: August 25, 2011, 08:27:09 pm »

Is this good?  :P

My fort is in its second year, with thirty-odd Dwarves and no Military.
Never pet a burning dog.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
Re: "You have found a curious underground structure"...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:28:43 pm »

This is good.
Inside it, there is a sword.
Take it. Your dwarves will waste it's power, but they can smelt it to make armor.
And the material the sword is made of is invincible. You can use this to have a good military within a small time with this. No more worrying about if a siege happens.
Just deconstruct it, after defeating it's guards by swarming the place with migrants.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:32:34 pm by Kaleb702 Games »
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:37 pm »

Oh god, do what Kaleb said.

Save first, though. :)

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

nothing is free. but that weapon is always fun to use.

Lortath

• Bay Watcher
  • Alway symmetric, alway perfect, alway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »

Do what a real dwarf should do.
You know what to do.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 08:39:26 pm »

Lucky :( I've been hoping to find one and never have.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:42:31 pm »

Fool!!! Leave the sword! Melting stuff only leaves a fraction of a bar, anyways. Once the sword is removed, all Hell will break loose! This is irreversable!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
will raid your fortress, leading to your instadeath. Taking the sword without having a fully trained, experienced, and armoured military of at least a thousand strong is not NOT NOT recommended.

But, yeah, abandon and come back to the fort in adventure mode.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:01 pm »

Fool!!! Leave the sword! Melting stuff only leaves a fraction of a bar, anyways. Once the sword is removed, all Hell will break loose! This is irreversable!
will raid your fortress, leading to your instadeath. Taking the sword without having a fully trained, experienced, and armoured military of at least a thousand strong is not NOT NOT recommended.

Liar!
I have only experience greatness from said sword.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:00:48 pm »

This structure is a triviality, a mere annoyance, wall it off and think no more of it.

Of all things, it certainly does not contain a weapon not of this world, imbued with unholy power dwarves were never meant to wield, the acquisition of which will grant you the might of Armok himself while damning you to suffer his wrath.

Nothing like that at all, just move along.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 09:01:43 pm »

bah, lies and blasphemy. i've reclaimed a couple of these rare jewels without any harm coming to my fort.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 09:07:50 pm »

Oddly enough, there is no "special sword" on my stocks screen. I have a Proficient Record Keeper, set to highest precision, with my inventory records fully up-to-date... and all I see on my stocks screen are my four Picks (for my Miners), two Axes (for my Woodcutters) and one Crossbow (for my Hunter). No mysterious weapons.

I think my embark might have just nicked the edge of a "curious underground structure", with the really interesting part of it left off-map.
Never pet a burning dog.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 09:11:35 pm »

Oddly enough, there is no "special sword" on my stocks screen. I have a Proficient Record Keeper, set to highest precision, with my inventory records fully up-to-date... and all I see on my stocks screen are my four Picks (for my Miners), two Axes (for my Woodcutters) and one Crossbow (for my Hunter). No mysterious weapons.

I think my embark might have just nicked the edge of a "curious underground structure", with the really interesting part of it left off-map.

I'm pretty sure that's not possible, the structure should be centered on a given tile, you get all of it or none (unless it's bugged, always possible I guess). Also Toady finally fixed the old bug where the sword would show up in your stocks at embark, now you actually have to go find it at the bottom of the structure.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 09:11:45 pm »

Ehehehehe.
See if you can find anything close on this page.

It's not a stock item, it's a construction. You should find it in the room/construction/whatever list.
It's not possible to just "nick" these things - they're in world tiles entire. No natural creation, including biome, can be smaller than an embark tile, or spread out individually - they have to be zones for that.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 09:30:55 pm »

I found one of these... once. But I had to abandon the embark since, for some reason, it was only running at about 1-2FPS. I actually found it by using Reveal, since maybe I thought there was just a big pool draining or something... but it just kept chugging away at 1-2FPS.

It was quite a letdown, I REALLY want to try an embark with one of these...

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 09:40:47 pm »

This structure is a triviality, a mere annoyance, wall it off and think no more of it.

Of all things, it certainly does not contain a weapon not of this world, imbued with unholy power dwarves were never meant to wield, the acquisition of which will grant you the might of Armok himself while damning you to suffer his wrath.

Nothing like that at all, just move along.

this is how you honestly answer this question without spoiling anyone's fun.

this is the way that ruins other people's fun.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!
Pages: [1] 2 3