Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: "The age of Men has begun"  (Read 9010 times)

Madurjafro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The age of Men has begun"
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 07:11:36 am »

You can play with humans?!!!

I didnt realise you could edit the raw files to such an extent......Hmmmm
The idea with building the above ground fort/castle sounds REALLY cool/funny, but but but... What... ehmmm So basically you are playing with "dwarfs" that looks like humans, I mean they only look like humans but behave like dwarves as we know it? Right?

afaik yes - and you can make ANY creature playable.. granted playing as a race of giant earthworms would be sorta disappointing :D

Wait, does this mean I can make Dragons playable? and I'd get Dragon migrants?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 07:21:46 am »

the fort died in the first year when a bunch of Ogres showed up. My military was no match.
What did I friggin tell you? Arm your guys with Obsidian swords ASAP!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 07:23:07 am »

You need to add this too

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is this required?

I am wanting to play as goblins (just for teh lulz), and I want to know if this is important in any way.
I think those are nobles, as much as you may want to murder them their really important sometimes. Battlecraft has a Dark Tower mini mod that comes with it and lets you play as goblins.

On a seperate note I think Genesis might be hindering my efforts to play as a different race.

LukeRM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 08:08:15 am »

AFAIK, I think -all- citizens of your fort can go into strange moods, regardless of whether they are [TRANCES] or not. I've experienced many people in my human forts making artifacts.

Anyway, if you're going for an Ur feel, I think that mud brick buildings are the way to go. You could use copper for the walls instead, although that may make it more like Uruk instead. I suggest maybe adding canals, too.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 10:18:07 am »

I'm doing a project just like this, except I'm using Mica Blocks which I have to import (annoyingly, I mistook it for Microline which is blue, I wanted a blue city dag nabbit), and I can only import five blocks a year, which is making it all slow progress. Still, the city (well, right now it's one house) is doing well, with fifty citizens, a steady food supply and three artifacts!
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 11:19:26 am »

I moved over to a Major River which freezes over for a little bit every year, so I turned off Temp and I'm building my city over/on the river and the riverbank.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 11:41:16 am »

What exactly do you put in raws? im having a bit of trouble.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 05:20:06 pm »

Add [CIV_CONTROLABLE] to the humans, as well as any nobles and skills you may want, and gen a new world.
Humans get more clothing/weapons than dwarves, which makes up for not being as strong. I'd rather have a Longsword than a Shortsword or a Flail than a Mace. Humans also don't need beer, and, in fact, a Human that has the same type of beer will get pissed about not having options, but a Human with well water won't care. They still LIKE beer, though, so that's not a waste of time.

UPDATE:
Moved to a Haunted Badland on the edge of a Tropical Ocean.
No Glumprongs, saddly. But on the embark screen it read off two layers of Slate and two layers of Granite.
My Human civ doesn't get High Boots, but does get Chausses, so it's cool.
I embarked with two Bronze Great Axes for my Professional military, and had to deconstruct the wagon for wood.
My humans wear, oddly, Turbans, Face Veils, Togas, Robes, Trousers, and Boots. I'm picturing a wierd Greek/Turkish thing (complete with exquisite moustache).
Slate Blocks are in the process of being carved, and the wall is set up. It's 9x6, with additions sure to come.
Farming on Badlands is a pain, but with fish from the ocean and the occasional hunted camel, we're fine for food and drink.
Various skeletal/zombie animals have been killed by the military, and, oddly enough, a pack of Harpies showed up and proceded to attack the local fauna.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »

I'm doing a project just like this, except I'm using Mica Blocks which I have to import (annoyingly, I mistook it for Microline which is blue, I wanted a blue city dag nabbit), and I can only import five blocks a year, which is making it all slow progress. Still, the city (well, right now it's one house) is doing well, with fifty citizens, a steady food supply and three artifacts!
Microcline is ugly as all hell. If you dig down to cavern level two, you'll almost certainly find Gabbro, which contains Kimberlite, which is a much more pleasing shade of blue AND contains Diamonds.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 05:29:44 pm »

I changed "Mayor" to "Representative" and added a "Priest" that doesn't do anything.
I also added a "Law Maker" that acts as a cross between Monarch and Sherif.

Also, I'd like to implement a system of ownership for food and stone and such. Right now, every civ is a Communist collective, and we all know Humans are way too greedy for that to work. Even with the broken economy system, it becomes Sociallist. I'd like a more Capitalistic system for the Humans.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 05:33:27 pm »

Having reembarked, the Liaison who was already there changed to "friendly" and is now fishing. With all this junk lying around, I'm gonna order him to haul stuff for me.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 05:51:33 pm »

Has anyone tried this with Genesis? It won't place a nord civilization when they're the only race with CIV_CONTROLLABLE but it works fine with keepers. Can't find any major differences in the code.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 06:03:08 pm »

You need to add this too

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Why is this required?

I am wanting to play as goblins (just for teh lulz), and I want to know if this is important in any way.
I think those are nobles, as much as you may want to murder them their really important sometimes. Battlecraft has a Dark Tower mini mod that comes with it and lets you play as goblins.

On a seperate note I think Genesis might be hindering my efforts to play as a different race.
there's also my mod, which keeps goblins pretty much the same as vanilla while adding all the things needed to make them playable.

i've been following this thread for a while, bemused at how similar to playing goblins playing humans is.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 06:31:35 pm »

I wish there was a way to make human civs variable. Like, some wouldn't make Bronze or Brass, use certain armours/weapons as a preferance, and be larger or smaller than others.
Still, playing as all the Civs is fairly similar.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 06:51:49 pm »

I wish there was a way to make human civs variable. Like, some wouldn't make Bronze or Brass, use certain armours/weapons as a preferance, and be larger or smaller than others.
Still, playing as all the Civs is fairly similar.
You can, you would have to create several different kinds of humans by copying them and adding and subtracting from their entity files and creature files to alter their size.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4