Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: "The age of Men has begun"  (Read 9008 times)

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "The age of Men has begun"
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 01:26:10 pm »

Im sorry where are you supposed to
Add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] in the human/plains entity section. Take away the tag for dwarves( or check the civ screen) the first race is what you spawn as ??

Is it the raw files or data files or??

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 01:59:13 pm »

Im sorry where are you supposed to
Add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] in the human/plains entity section. Take away the tag for dwarves( or check the civ screen) the first race is what you spawn as ??

Is it the raw files or data files or??

Raw -> objects -> entity_default

You need to add this too

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 02:43:47 pm »

Perhaps they should rename the chief medical dwarf to something else though.
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 02:48:04 pm »

5x5 Flat, Evil Savana (Glumprongs, yay), Minor river running into ocean, Hot.
Hostile Goblins, Warring Dwarves.
The Beach has Sandstone for two layers, then diorite and granite, so I have Native Copper, Coal, and Cassiterite.
The Savanah has Rhyolite for a layer, then Obsidian, then 2 layers of Schist.

My city is going to be by the ocean, and most of my food will come from the sea (I modded the population of oceanic vermin). All meals will be prepared, of course, and I'll keep a herd of One-Humped Cammels for leather, meat, and milk.

For sieges, I plan on allowing the enemy to enter my city, then shutting the gate from behind while dozens of bowmen fire down upon them. I think it'll be fine. Plus, the archer will have Wooden Shields and Leather Armour/Robes, too. My professional soldiers will patrol the map at all times, looking for ambushes until I have a wall set up.

I'm trying to mod in a Human-only shield, Tower Shield, that has a Block of 35 but can't be used to bash.

UPDATE:
The fortress is named BoarHeal, which is ironic, because I plan on using the many Skeletal Warthogs to inflict pain and suffering on prisoners.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:57:31 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Kentti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 03:50:17 pm »

UPDATE:
The fortress is named BoarHeal, which is ironic, because I plan on using the many Skeletal Warthogs to inflict pain and suffering on prisoners.

Pain is merely weakness leaving the body, thus you're relieving your enemies of their weakness and essentially healing them.

There is no irony in Dwarf Fortress only lack of magma and/or insanity.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 04:00:03 pm »

Above ground fortresses are about a thousand times more fun than below ground but their a bitch to found without about a thousand stones on embark. Otherwise your options are sitting there in the open while you get materials or building a very small fort to start then expanding over time. Even then it's always a good idea to use [SPEED:0] for the first season.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:55 pm »

Could you by any chance upload the save? :D

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 05:37:37 pm »

5x5 Flat, Evil Savana (Glumprongs, yay), Minor river running into ocean, Hot.
Hostile Goblins, Warring Dwarves.
The Beach has Sandstone for two layers, then diorite and granite, so I have Native Copper, Coal, and Cassiterite.
The Savanah has Rhyolite for a layer, then Obsidian, then 2 layers of Schist.

My city is going to be by the ocean, and most of my food will come from the sea (I modded the population of oceanic vermin). All meals will be prepared, of course, and I'll keep a herd of One-Humped Cammels for leather, meat, and milk.

For sieges, I plan on allowing the enemy to enter my city, then shutting the gate from behind while dozens of bowmen fire down upon them. I think it'll be fine. Plus, the archer will have Wooden Shields and Leather Armour/Robes, too. My professional soldiers will patrol the map at all times, looking for ambushes until I have a wall set up.

I'm trying to mod in a Human-only shield, Tower Shield, that has a Block of 35 but can't be used to bash.

UPDATE:
Mine out the Obsidian layer and make shortswords from the stuff, that should protect you from the undead wildlife attacks. Hell, arm some of your military with Obsidian Shortswords.

I'm just gonna change the size of dwarves, elves, goblins and kobolds that of humans so as not to have any issues with purchased armour both in fort mode and mainly in adventure mode, as well.

Once I change the size, I'll embark by a lake, instead of an ocean, to keep the waves from sapping my FPS.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 05:56:59 pm »

Could you by any chance upload the save? :D

I second the notion!

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »

I just tried to embark but i couldnt get any nobles or militia and i added that in

You need to add this too

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 09:26:30 pm »

The save itself isn't remarkable. I've gotten tons like it.

Go into advanced parameters and do the following:
Change Min Rainfall to 0 and Max Rainfall to 80
Change Min Temp to 40 and Max Temp to 110
Change "Number of complete edge oceans" to 1
Increase number of Civs to 15
Change Min Elevation to 0 and Max Elevation to 375
Change number of subregions to 3750

And, also, the fort died in the first year when a bunch of Ogres showed up. My military was no match.

Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 09:42:47 pm »

The save itself isn't remarkable. I've gotten tons like it.

Go into advanced parameters and do the following:
Change Min Rainfall to 0 and Max Rainfall to 80
Change Min Temp to 40 and Max Temp to 110
Change "Number of complete edge oceans" to 1
Increase number of Civs to 15
Change Min Elevation to 0 and Max Elevation to 375
Change number of subregions to 3750

And, also, the fort died in the first year when a bunch of Ogres showed up. My military was no match.
Gory details please.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:53 pm »

If/when you restart, you should make it a community fort!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 10:54:35 pm »

You need to add this too

Why is this required?

I am wanting to play as goblins (just for teh lulz), and I want to know if this is important in any way.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 04:26:13 am »

You can play with humans?!!!

I didnt realise you could edit the raw files to such an extent......Hmmmm
The idea with building the above ground fort/castle sounds REALLY cool/funny, but but but... What... ehmmm So basically you are playing with "dwarfs" that looks like humans, I mean they only look like humans but behave like dwarves as we know it? Right?

They're like dwarves, but only to a certain extent. Humans won't trance, don't require alcohol to get through the day, and don't get cave adaptation. I don't remember if not trancing means they don't make artifacts, but I think that's the case. They still have the dwarven crafting abilities, though, as well as mining speed.

So it takes a bit of self control and limitations to really play them as humans. Still fun, though.
Basically like dwarves, but less... dwarfy. Also I'm pretty sure that not being able to trance stops strange moods as well.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4