Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: "The age of Men has begun"  (Read 9004 times)

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"The age of Men has begun"
« on: August 25, 2011, 07:24:10 pm »

Here's a somewhat ambitious plan for a fortress I'm going to make.
First, I'm going to make humans playable.
I plan on building a giant above-ground city from carved stone. I'd like to use Sandstone, because I'm going for an ancient, Ur-like feel, where Bronze is the metal of choice and the city is guarded over by a giant ziggurat.

Every human will be organized into castes, and will recieve holdings in an approriate manner:
From top to bottom, Mayor, Administrators, Soldiers, Craftsmen, Farmers.
The Mayor and Admins will not fight, and will live in the ziggurat, along with the soldiers. The craftsmen will live inside the walls, and the farmers outside. Only farmers will havest, and admins/mayor will not haul. There will be no communal efforts: Greed and sloth are innate human traits, but common sense isn't.

The Stonemasons (considered craftsmen) will make the stone blocks, and the farmers will haul them into place. The farmers will not have stone blocks for their huts, only rough stone.

Durring a siege, all humans will be called inside. The farmers will be in the "Wall Guard", armed in Leather, Wood, and Bow/Arrows. The craftsmen will be "Gate Guards", armed in Leather and some Bronze with a Pike. The Professional Soldiers will be armed in full Bronze, with Bronze Spears and a Black Bronze shield (for epic-ness).
Each squad, militia or professional, will be of 5 men. The men will spend 2 months training, 1 month patroling/guarding, and the rest working. Professionals will spend 10 months training and 2 resting.

The wall surrounding the city will be 3 z-levels high and 3 tiles wide with 1 tile of fortifications in certain areas and walls in others. Ramps will connect the multiple levels. Stockpiles of extra arrows/quivers will be in small underground rooms beneath the walls.
The gate will not be protected by a giant drawbridge or a lava-moat, but giant, epic Black Bronze gates (floodgates) so that sieges may get in if they have building destroyers.

I plan on giving every human family their own hut/house, and when their children get married, they get their own hut as well.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: "The age of Men has begun"
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:33:55 pm »

Bonus points if you start in a desert/arid area near a brook and or river.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Imminent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 07:37:14 pm »

How do you make humans a playable civilization in fortress mode?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:47:35 pm »

[CIV_CONTROLLABLE], to answer your question.

How are you gonna get all dat stone/metal? +1 if you make another caste 'conjurers' which use a custom workshop (magic shop) which magically creates stone/metal, perhaps in exchange for plants or something - sacrifice some food to create the stone to build your megafort.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »

How do you make humans a playable civilization in fortress mode?
Add the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] in the human/plains entity section. Take away the tag for dwarves( or check the civ screen) the first race is what you spawn as.

Dangit- Nija'ed

[CIV_CONTROLLABLE], to answer your question.

How are you gonna get all dat stone/metal? +1 if you make another caste 'conjurers' which use a custom workshop (magic shop) which magically creates stone/metal, perhaps in exchange for plants or something - sacrifice some food to create the stone to build your megafort.

Mining?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »

Mining?

I guess - but would probably take a large amount of time to try a whole bunch of embarks for crapton amounts of sandstone, cassiterite+<copper_ore_here>, desert biome (preferably) + flat (preferably) + other things along those lines.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »

Take a 5x5 tile embark onto an area with scarce trees and vegitation with a stream of river, take along some bronze bars to start off with, a few seeds, a couple of picks, an axe, food, and whatever you deem needed for something like this. To get a really good start-off, use advanced world gen to have 10,000 embark points, bring lots of bronze and stone, take lots of seeds, and bring lots of food and take some experienced workers. Dig 5x5 pit houses (channels with a 5x5 chamber on one side of it) and place hatches over them. Put your housing in them until you can get proper house materials.

Or, just remove the tags in the dwarf entity for underground stuff and replace them with overground items.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 08:44:37 pm »

Sounds like a cool idea. I can see the farmers and stoneworkers acting as guards being a problem though. On your first siege with goblin bowmen or goblin master crossbowmen they're going to get destroyed depending on how you set up the battlefield. Which could be pretty detrimental to the whole megaproject thing if your workers are dead. Love the idea the ziggurat though. Maybe build a giant bronze monolith or something similar on top
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »

Actually, Ur and its contemporary cities were normally made of mud brick.  This means all you need is a source of clay and you can construct as much of a city as you wish.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 10:31:46 pm »

Actually, Ur and its contemporary cities were normally made of mud brick.  This means all you need is a source of clay and you can construct as much of a city as you wish.
Extremely true!!! I myself am a major fan of making my houses and other structures of clay, but it's annoying that you need fuel to make a clay brick. It also takes somewhere's around 4-5 minutes just to gather a lump of clay, but the stuff offers infinite building materials. I ought to embark on a badland biome with (shallow) clay, take a rock with, and once I hit my site, channel to the clay and build a kiln. Then gather lots of clay and make homes and walls from it.

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 12:18:54 pm »

The Professional Soldiers will be armed in full Bronze, with Bronze Spears and a Black Bronze shield (for epic-ness).

Since when can we make weapons or armor out of Black Bronze ?
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Black_bronze
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 12:29:50 pm »

You can play with humans?!!!

I didnt realise you could edit the raw files to such an extent......Hmmmm
The idea with building the above ground fort/castle sounds REALLY cool/funny, but but but... What... ehmmm So basically you are playing with "dwarfs" that looks like humans, I mean they only look like humans but behave like dwarves as we know it? Right?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 12:42:26 pm »

The idea with building the above ground fort/castle sounds REALLY cool/funny, but but but... What... ehmmm So basically you are playing with "dwarfs" that looks like humans, I mean they only look like humans but behave like dwarves as we know it? Right?

afaik yes - and you can make ANY creature playable.. granted playing as a race of giant earthworms would be sorta disappointing :D

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 12:59:44 pm »

They're like dwarves, but only to a certain extent. Humans won't trance, don't require alcohol to get through the day, and don't get cave adaptation. I don't remember if not trancing means they don't make artifacts, but I think that's the case. They still have the dwarven crafting abilities, though, as well as mining speed.

So it takes a bit of self control and limitations to really play them as humans. Still fun, though.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Subdane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:14:24 pm »

I gotta try this :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4