Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ea's Origin service... shady? You decide.  (Read 9479 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ea's Origin service... shady? You decide.
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 02:51:36 am »

also all these distribution things...as its noted many companies actually have their own, is just each companies way to put their software on your computer with their rules.

Steam works because it has a one size fits all policy...IE being such a large distributor they have to have a less specific and shady as shit EULA than a company would have to give for its own distribution software. Take Origins for example...

They take all there games of steam with its generalized and "non rape you for everything you have to play our games" EULA and replace it with this which allows them FULL access to your computer...

they take your money for the game, then they take all your information they can possibly pick up off there computers, then they sell it to whomever the hell they want....God only knows where it goes from here (or hell..what they truly take for that matter)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 02:55:24 am »

No one notices this stuff in the EULA.

I mean has anyone actually read the EULA for Neverwinter nights 2? It explicitly talks about Spyware.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 03:51:45 am »

I didn't know there was a thread in General Discussion, but I tend to avoid that place so I think I'll just stick with mine.

I'm curious just how many people will gleefully shell out for games over this, though. We can hate it all we want, but you guys know a whole lot of people will use this thing, at least for a while. If I hadn't run across the article I'd have gotten Mass Effect 3 without a second thought. Now, not as much. At least not with this corporate spyware enabled.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 04:57:48 am »

Well there goes my hopes for Battlefield 3.
I hope that some crazy bastard goes on a terrorism spree against EA for their retardation.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 07:16:16 pm »

From what i read, it's not about scanning your hard drive and taking whatever they feel like, it says "technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware".

Sure you could twist the meaning of this but i don't think it's really that bad. Not that i approve forcing this upon their customers, but as far as i know, EULAs arent law, and if they try to justify crazy things with it, they will face legal action.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 07:33:36 pm »

From what i read, it's not about scanning your hard drive and taking whatever they feel like, it says "technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware".

Sure you could twist the meaning of this but i don't think it's really that bad. Not that i approve forcing this upon their customers, but as far as i know, EULAs arent law, and if they try to justify crazy things with it, they will face legal action.

There is this Quasi-Lawyer who frequents this board who says EULAs are legally binding in the USA.

Though I still have to question him.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 07:40:42 pm »

I understand that data collection and selling is pretty standard. I'm not a fan of it but that's the way things are, and as long as there's a sensible opt-out (at least) or opt-in (preferred) that's not a big deal. I don't like that they don't specify that they can only search particular locations or search for information only related to their products. I don't like that there's no opt-out of data collection, and I especially don't like that their terms are mandatory if you want to legally play their games.

These documents are carefully constructed to be very specific, things like that aren't accidentally left out or generally dumped in without some reason.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:47 pm »

I understand that data collection and selling is pretty standard. I'm not a fan of it but that's the way things are, and as long as there's a sensible opt-out (at least) or opt-in (preferred) that's not a big deal. I don't like that they don't specify that they can only search particular locations or search for information only related to their products. I don't like that there's no opt-out of data collection, and I especially don't like that their terms are mandatory if you want to legally play their games.

They also specify that they can search for "illegally-downloaded materials", which doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense and I'm not sure how they'd go about doing that.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 08:53:11 pm »

they do it (I assume) by looking at hash information of files...they look up the hash of the top downloaded torrents and search your files for one of the same hash...the only solid evidence they can get you with technically

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 09:17:04 pm »

Even thats not solid.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 09:24:10 pm »

how much more solid can you get? A files hash is essentially its fingerprint...the cases where people got sued for piracy usually has file hashes submitted as evidence.

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 09:48:27 pm »

It actually looks like your standard Anti-Cheat software clause.  I've read the ones for VAC, PunkBuster, Warden, GameGuard, and several others, I don't particularly enjoy software that assumes I'm a cheater, but since there's a fairly large population of cheaters, I live with it.

ETA: Normally the clauses are in the games that use the Anti-Cheat software, not the distribution platforms.  So it's possible that EA just decided to tie an anti-cheat software to their Origin client.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:51:58 pm by Jifodus »

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 10:18:39 pm »

Having a file does not mean you don't own licence it. Often quite the contrary!

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 10:58:29 pm »

How do you know if you have origin installed or what games use it?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 11:20:32 pm »

Note to self: never buy any EA games

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4