Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Ea's Origin service... shady? You decide.  (Read 9474 times)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
Re: Ea's Origin service... shady? You decide.
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2011, 12:21:38 am »

It is out, but you have to be specifically buying games from EA's store to use it anyway at this point. In the future, EA headlining games will require it, like Battlefield 3 and SWTOR

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2011, 12:57:45 am »

From what i read, it's not about scanning your hard drive and taking whatever they feel like, it says "technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware".

Sure you could twist the meaning of this but i don't think it's really that bad. Not that i approve forcing this upon their customers, but as far as i know, EULAs arent law, and if they try to justify crazy things with it, they will face legal action.

There is this Quasi-Lawyer who frequents this board who says EULAs are legally binding in the USA.

Though I still have to question him.

EULAs are not legally binding in the USA.

Rather, EULAs are legally binding, but most EULAs have you sign over so many rights and such that they generally don't hold up in court.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2011, 01:07:02 am »

Depends on the country Dragonshardz

EULAs have no legal power in Canada for example because part of our contract law requires the person actually read the contract.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2011, 01:21:32 am »

By accepting the EULA at install you signify that you have read and understand the terms described therein. Even if you skipped the whole thing, clicking agree says you read it.

I really haven't heard anything either way about something taking a EULA or ToS to court, though, examples would be most welcome.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2011, 01:29:40 am »

By accepting the EULA at install you signify that you have read and understand the terms described therein. Even if you skipped the whole thing, clicking agree says you read it.

I really haven't heard anything either way about something taking a EULA or ToS to court, though, examples would be most welcome.

It doesn't matter Darkmere... the EULA still doesn't have legal power in Canada. Our Contract law is stronger then those kind of taudry tricks.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2011, 01:43:57 am »

It doesn't matter Darkmere... the EULA still doesn't have legal power in Canada. Our Contract law is stronger then those kind of taudry tricks.

I'm not sure I get your point here. Canadian law requires you to read a contract, agreeing to a Eula signifies that you have read it and agree to abide by the terms. Then the next post you skip formalities and just say Canadian laws ignore Eulas.

I guess I should ask, are you talking about binding written contracts, business contracts, some other kind?

Part of the point I meant to make with the last sentence of my last post was I'm still not sure Eulas can be strictly enforced in the States, let alone anywhere else anyway. All I hear about it is "lawyers" saying Eula's are binding, but no citation of legal precedent where a Eula was enforced by law.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 01:57:59 am »

the point is in Canada they are smart enough to know that no one reads them =P

And yeah I know a lawyer as well who also says that EULAs do NOT hold up in court...they are crap contracts...and everyone knows it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2011, 04:25:33 pm »

None of which changes the fact that this EULA implys that EA is going to be scanning your computer and reporting back on your program usage. Depending on how things end up they might end up having it challenged in court and have to turn it off but...until then I'd be very wary of installing any EA games.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 10:24:34 pm »

Apparently EA changed the EULA.

Still not installing it or buying any game the requires it.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2011, 10:41:41 pm »

Apparently EA changed the EULA.

Still not installing it or buying any game the requires it.

Yeah my decision stands as well. If there's a way to play ME3 without that service that I can buy, I'd still do it to support the game. Otherwise... another reason to look towards indie games for me.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2011, 12:16:46 am »

Even what they seem to be claiming to do is absolutely retarded. Essentially they want to find out who pirates games. To do this, they decide that searching the computers of those who actually bought one of their games is the best idea.
Considering if this actually works, all this means is if you've ever pirated a game, keep pirating from EA

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2011, 11:54:17 am »

I don't like this at all. I wouldn't care so much if it was an optional thing (that you are opted out of by default), but forcing it on everyone? No thanks. I wanted to buy Battlefield 3, but I don't need this Origin Big Brother checkin' out my software selection. I wouldn't invite an EA rep into my room when I want to play an EA game, either.

Frankly, I'm sick of privacy becoming a non-entity everywhere. Most people accept it, I suppose, or don't know about it. Who reads EULA screens? Still, it seems like Big Business wants to know everything about my computer habits. That makes me a little sick to my stomach.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2011, 01:45:00 pm »

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 01:59:38 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2011, 01:48:51 pm »

If it's the same for BF3 then this it'd be good news.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2011, 01:49:34 pm »

Umm, MW3 is activision? Or was that a joke? I'm not very good with humour sometimes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4