Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pickkings: A community cave survivial fortress (0 open spots)  (Read 2512 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickkings: A community cave survivial fortress (1 open spots)
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 10:47:05 pm »

Can I take Morul?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Pickkings: A community cave survivial fortress (2 open spots)
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:38 pm »

Can i have Imush the Mechanic? She loves !!Science!!
No !!Science!! will be done, because the mechanisms will mainly be used to build levers and connecting them to hatches, doors, bridges, etc. I'll get you dwarfed up, though.
Damn.
Shame theres no !!SCIENCE!! but plain chemesty (alchemy) works too, and who said Professor Lloyd didin't like watching the lady dwarves hook up his automatic door?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 03:26:17 pm »

If you ever get a free weaponsmith, I'll take him.
Another skilled metalworker probably won't be here till next migrant wave. Sorry.

If you're still open, I'll take a Digger 1st Class.
I only have one miner, and he's already been taken. Maybe next time.

Do you mind if i post schematics for my room? I am a digger, i can dig it myself :P
These are only meant to be small camps dotted throughout the caverns, and being so, beds and chests will be out in the open, but the collection will be surrounded by a wall of fortifications. Mining operations will have small rooms carved into the walls though. So, yes, I do mind. Sorry.

Can I take Morul?
Sure. I'll update ASAP.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 04:05:00 pm »

Another skilled metalworker probably won't be here till next migrant wave. Sorry.

It's alright, I don't mind the wait.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pickkings: A community cave survivial fortress (0 open spots)
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:22:02 pm »

So as we go along with our lives in Pickkings, nothing eventful has happened. Roboboy, our digger, is on break that he's been on for the past month, apparently his break is more "important" than setting up defenses. Once we get a troll invading, apparently Roboboy'll think, 'Oh, a troll. Well, I guess that the incomplete fortifications that I'm ignoring will keep him out'.

Meanwhile, I've had GreatWyrmGold create bars of copper that we could use to arm me and our other guard in. We have no barracks at the moment, though, but we'll have to make do.

Mostly everyone else has been milling around. The Master is planting plump helmets necessary for food and sweet pods for alcohol. Once Roboboy gets off of his damn break, he'll hopefully get back to building the base camp's defensive fortifications. Once those are complete, I'll designate some areas to mine for stone for extra building materials.

A few weeks ago, while I was going to pasture a cat somewhere, I have found a pit going some 50 or so feet down (5+ z-levels) into another gigantic cavern, this time with more types of giant fungi to chop down, instead of the basic tower-caps and fungi-woods that the first cavern gives us.

As we go on, I will write more.
-----

It's alright, I don't mind the wait.
It might be a while, but thanks for being patient.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 11:32:48 pm »

I'm on break because im self-respecting.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 07:28:40 am »

No axes? You elf!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 09:39:23 am »

No axes? You elf!
Yes, I don't want to bother with axes except those I bring at embark to chop down trees. Here's a display of weapons for me:

Weapons used in caverns by military:
Spears,
Shortswords,
Crossbows,
Blow-guns.

Weapons used in caverns by civilians:
Hand-axes if Civ Forge fort,
Hatchets if vanilla DF with these weapons (I modded them in myself, my first mod then!),
Crossbows in either,
Picks in either.

They WILL be made of Copper, because when I added the tag that allows dwarves to make [WOOD_WEAPONS], I could bring them on embark but couldn't figure out how to make them. Craftsdwarf's shop wouldn't let me, Carpenter's shop wouldn't let me, METALSMITH'S FORGE wouldn't let me. What gives?

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »

Hugo could explain better than I can, but basically, you need to add the wooden weapons and such to the permitted reactions. don't ask me how, that's Hugo's field.
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 02:26:32 pm »

You could cheat the system by making the weapons you want made from wood [RANGED:(combat token):NULL] and create a ITEM_AMMO_NULL that basically acts as a place holder, not really being a ammo or realy item. Because the weapon is now classed as a ranged weapon it can be made from wood or bone at a bowyers shop, and since it has a non-exsistant ammo, no need to worry about someone shooting anything from it.
Spoiler: History (click to show/hide)

Summary of this modding knowledge is:

Add [RANGED:(weapon skill):NULL] NULL is created as a non-exsistant ammo in the item_ammo.txt
this tag will allow bone and wood versions of the weapon show up in the bowyers workshop.

Or you can make custom reactions to take a log and make each desired weapon you chose out of wood

Personally I would make custom reactions, but I think if you add [RANGED:(skill):NULL] to the desired weapons they should show up without regenning in the bowyers shop
NOTE BACK UP SAVE BEFORE DOING SO, THIS IS UNTESTED!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 02:28:49 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 11:51:36 pm »

I've un-earthed this thread and am posting another update:

Journal of Urist McHuman:

There's loud booming coming from the caves. Roboboy has FINALLY gotten off of his month-long break and is constructing the fortifications necessary to defend our home base from the Manera, that damn Troll, and a pack of Troglodytes that appear to be marching towards us.

Earlier, Masked_Hunter has set up another raising bridge, and wypie has connected it to a lever somewhere in base camp. Roboboy works frantically (?) on the defensive fortifications.

Right now, we have no arranged sleeping quarters, and people have been sleeping on the muddy ground. Masked_Hunter and the Professor are already annoyed, but after he's done, I've ordered Roboboy to dig out a temporary dormitory. Currently, the only person in the entire encampment that owns a bed is me. I plan to fix that.

That cat I threw down the pit is wandering about. Already, it's uncovered a good portion of the next cavern. Eventually, it'll hit either an animal-person camp, or a Forgotten Beast. Whatever it is, it won't hit us. I hope.

----------
Gah. It's late. I have to hit the sack for the night.
Pages: 1 [2]