Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark Sites  (Read 1357 times)

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark Sites
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:14:43 am »

The fun that just happened in my fortress(See the "What's happening in your fort" thread) has made me want to drop my dwarves into some magma. What happened was just too awesome for me to see my fort get jumped by an ambush and die. My dwarves might be good fighters but they have no armor and would die very quickly to metal objects(They've just been kicked, punched and maimed). So I wanna end it on a good note. With magma.

So yeah. Good embark sites thread? I've been through most of the ones in the DF2010 worldgen cookbook thread. I'm looking for a site that is either Terrifying or Untamed Wilds(Or both). Preferably a flattish forest biome(Want me some giant fucking bears) with a water source. A river would be nice but I'm not too worried about having a water source anyway. Outstanding features like a nearby volcano or mountains are cool as well. Steel possibilities would be great but any source of armor grade metal would be fine.

But post any other cool embarks too. Let's fucking see 'em.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark Sites
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:03 am »

I have a 4x4 (I think) embark with a volcano, brook, lots of trees and shrubs, iron ore, marble and bituminous coal exposed to the surface. It's slightly mountainous and classed mostly as savage wilds I think. It's on my other PC but my friend is emailing me my worldgen and gamelog files so that I can regen it. If I get it sorted I can post it up if you like. All I really changed was mineral scarcity to ~750, made the caverns very open and maxed out the volcanism X and Y variance.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 11:54:51 am by Darkweave »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:34:21 pm »

My current megafortress embark (210 dwarves so far, rising) is a 5x5 area with river, very deep soil, tons of limonite/marble (for weapons/armor), tons of tetrahedrite (for everything else), perfectly flat, untamed wilds, heavily forested/shrubbed. Doesn't have a volcano but doesn't need one - was easy to drill down to the magma sea. Caverns are really compact and full of cliffs - but I don't need anything from the caverns anyway.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 01:48:43 pm »

I have a 4x4 (I think) embark with a volcano, brook, lots of trees and shrubs, iron ore, marble and bituminous coal exposed to the surface. It's slightly mountainous and classed mostly as savage wilds I think. It's on my other PC but my friend is emailing me my worldgen and gamelog files so that I can regen it. If I get it sorted I can post it up if you like. All I really changed was mineral scarcity to ~750, made the caverns very open and maxed out the volcanism X and Y variance.

Please post it when you get everything sorted out. Sounds like a good embark.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 03:53:46 pm »

I have found the holy grail of Dwarfdom, but I am waiting till I finish my turn in a community fort before I post on what I have found, which is unrelated to the community fort. Anyways, I have found a sheer cliff. An actual cliff. At the bottom of it is a small lake, entirely within the embark on all sides. The bottom of the cliff is terrfying, the top is serene, the dwarves embark HALFWAY DOWN THE CLIFF. Gads and gads of iron and silver metals. And a strange sword in the room list...

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 03:55:30 pm »

I have found the holy grail of Dwarfdom, but I am waiting till I finish my turn in a community fort before I post on what I have found, which is unrelated to the community fort. Anyways, I have found a sheer cliff. An actual cliff. At the bottom of it is a small lake, entirely within the embark on all sides. The bottom of the cliff is terrfying, the top is serene, the dwarves embark HALFWAY DOWN THE CLIFF. Gads and gads of iron and silver metals. And a strange sword in the room list...

AHHHH
Y U NO POST NOW THOUGH?

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 04:49:32 pm »

Bumping for boredom.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »

I'll post it on monday after I get back to my main computer and can finish my seemingly never-ending community fortress turn. Assuming I can find this thread again! If I can't, I'll just make a new one with the details.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:47:30 pm »

Can't get hold of my house-mate to send my worldgen and gamelog files so that I can regen. I'll give him a ring later.

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 10:27:48 am »

Here we go:

http://i.imgur.com/JZQFc.jpg

This gets you a volcano with an epic name, a brook, untamed wilds, flux exposed to the surface, a few thousand bituminous coal, good amounts of  iron ore, gold, and cassiterite, just over one thousand spoilerite (not great but not bad) and a bunch of other minerals with good amounts of trees and shrubs to the far east and far west. Enlarging the embark down and left to make it a 5x5 almost doubles the quantity of the ores I've mentioned. Unfortunately no clay unless you expand the embark to include the river spawn tile to the south-west and no sand but you could always mod some raws if you really really want them.

World gen info:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:25:52 pm by Darkweave »

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »

I'll post it on monday after I get back to my main computer and can finish my seemingly never-ending community fortress turn. Assuming I can find this thread again! If I can't, I'll just make a new one with the details.

It has to be monday now kthx!
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 02:34:17 pm »

I have an evil, savage, beach-side savana with a giant Grantie mountain sticking out of one of the corners, just full of Cassiterite, and the Sandstone under the ocean is sure to hold Iron, Copper, and Coal.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.