Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravans carry and deal in currency of their home civilization  (Read 2421 times)

Zanielyene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mite b cool for hoarding monies instead of stockpiling stuff like jewelery

thoughts?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans carry and deal in currency of their home civilization
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 03:21:32 pm »

I like this idea
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:28 pm »

That would assume they have established a currency exchange system.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:56:34 am »

Bear in mind that the concept of legal tender was a bit fuzzier in the period in which DF is intended to represent. x ounces of gold or silver were x ounces of gold or silver whatever country you happened to be in.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:20:37 pm »

Bear in mind that the concept of legal tender was a bit fuzzier in the period in which DF is intended to represent. x ounces of gold or silver were x ounces of gold or silver whatever country you happened to be in.

Yeah but when they have a king's face stamped on them*, it's perfectly (il)legal for them to be 95% lead, and you damn well better not notice, heh.

*Only if it's the leader of your country/kingdom/republic/empire, otherwise they can't really execute you for daring to say they debased the currency, unless they can catch you, of course.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

Zanielyene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »

of course, it could work like adventure mode money. Each civ can have its own currency, and even though you CAN trade elven currency with dwarves, it will probably be ridiculously inflated to the point where the coin is only worth the metal it was made from.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »

it will probably be ridiculously inflated to the point where the coin is only worth the metal it was made from

Actually the issue with coins of this period wasn't inflation it was depreciation.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 11:20:24 pm »

I imagine at the time, they didn't have a very deep understanding of economics and therefore wondered why their currency became worthless when they minted tonnes of coins.

Coins around the medieval times were really just a way of storing gold and silver. They had a face value equal to the value of the metal in them, therefore, one didn't need to get the scales out to count out a couple of pieces of silver. For large transactions, scales were used instead.

I believe that's why a pound has it's name, because it was a pound of something, probably not gold.

Many civilisations over the years have used different things as a form of currency, and I think that would be interesting to add into the game. For example, the Chinese used bank notes, which were essentially a form of cheque. Some civilisations used rare shells as currency.

It hasn't been until recently that we have unfixed currency, which gains it's value from being difficult to forge. It's a lot deeper than that, but that's the basics of it.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 12:46:48 am »

It would be interesting if trading was done in different currencies, then the game could keep track of how each civilization is doing and how inflated their money is, hence you might be able to get a couple dozen logs of wood from civilization A for the same price as just 3 or 4 logs from another civ. Would give a more realistic flare.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 06:49:41 am »

most gold and silver coins where use first as a easy way to trade gold and not have to check if it has been counterfeited.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Aryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:27:11 pm »

I think a more appropriate form of dwarven economics would be having each civ value goods differently. If, for example, platinum is found in large quantities in a city, they're not going to pay much for it. You could even saturate the platinum market yourself if the city happens to be your fort. But I suspect Toady is already at work on this with the caravan arc.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 05:36:38 pm »

I believe that's why a pound has it's name, because it was a pound of something, probably not gold.

Silver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_%28currency%29
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:50 am »

I... guess no one plays adventure mode?  Every human town already has its own currency, and presumably so would the other races if their settlements existed.  The only reason caravans don't carry this currency, I assume, is because right now caravans don't come from a specific town.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »

Also, there's no way to sub-divide a stack, so you'd either take all of their money or none of it.
Pages: [1] 2