Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Eldritch corruption  (Read 4357 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eldritch corruption
« on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:09 am »

The idea in a nutshell? Let's say that some particularly nasty Forgotten beast is roused from his slumber

The forgotten beast Nylarothotep has come! A great shapeless mass of hands. It has a single black eye and the air grows damp around it. Beware his madness!

Not nessecarily DEADLY but here is where they become awesome. Any tile that they traverse. ((of any sort save empty space)) Would fall out of any sane reality. In practice it would actually just be a disturbing "engraving" like...

You see a slate floor

This slate floor has been corrupted by Nylarothotep the forgotten beast, it sweats and squirms eratically underfoot.

And they would function like engravings that give bad thoughts to dwarves, and just might put them over the edge if things aren't otherwise going great for them.

more dangerous still would be, left to his own devices this Forgotten beast would seek out items to do the same thing to. Gods forbid he gives your food eyeballs or makes your beer scream. ((sure dwarves would STILL drink it...but not be happy about it. Could make for some interesting thoughts))

Urst McInsomniac was disturbed from his rest recently, he was disgusted by a wall that oozed black tears recently.

and it could greatly depreciate the value of goods you intend to sell....just try giving elves children's toys that jibber unsettling truths!

It would be less deadly then a vanilla Forgotten beast, simply from not breathing acid or the like, but just as hazardous to your fort's well being if left unchecked. In a completely other way.

Also...imagine the cavern he came out of...

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 06:52:50 am by Logrin »
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Eldritch corruption
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:59:38 am »

I would capture him in a wooden cage and let him loose on the elven trade depot once a year.

Also: I like the idea of corrupting tiles and items. Especially if that corruption could spread.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:28:55 am »

I like this idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:40:33 am »

I support this.  If you can cage this FB, you could drive your dwarves, captured gobbos, humans and elves mad more efficiently. 

The whole "corrupted" and "oozing" floors and walls seems oddly like the corruption in Dead Space, where the walls were just one gigantic organism. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:37:14 am »

Well, the oozing, living floor was just one example. Ideally it would be taken from as large a pool as real engravings. So it could end up making sobbing stairwells or a suit of armor thats mirrored surface shows your children dying.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:29:18 pm »

Love it. A way to remove them, perhaps a specific profession (Priest Noble?) to remove them would also be nice... Unless they wear off automaticly... I mean, a sobbing staircase that can flood your lower caverns because it cries without EVER ending seems a bit too dangerous.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Fallen Flame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 09:01:39 pm »

I really like this idea, I think it would add some more variety and dangers to the game. Would one idea be that they could possible corrupt beings when they start tantruming near the corrupted FB or corrupted item, basically making a dwarf have a modifier like the tile or be totally different.

Also as another way to get rid of these corrupted tiles would be to engrave or smooth it, has to be masterwork quality keeps trying till it works. Or as previously said it could be part of a priests job.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:37 am »

And there's always the trusty copper picks if your in a hurry.....

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:04:15 am »

You know, looking at this thread, I just came up with an idea.  It's called, "Anti-Forgotten Beasts".  You know how FBs are a lot like demonic monstrosities?  Well these equally random beasts would arrive, perhaps after you reach a certain wealth requirement, or maybe if your fort survived a truly epic disaster, like say, an eldritch FB.  This AFB would praise your dwarves for their resilience and strength, and then proceed to do miracles.  Insanity would be cured, Fatal injuries ( such as a broken spine ) would be healed, and the corruption in the walls and floor would be cleansed.  This would have to be rarer than FBs, or else it will become too easy to rebuild from Eldritch FB attacks. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 02:12:56 am »

And then they demand most of your weallth in payment, or they take most of your children...

That's more Dwarf Fortress....

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 03:44:21 am »

I really like this idea. Perhaps it can be fit into interactions/curses somehow?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 07:15:25 am »

When i read "Beware his madness!"

I assumed it would cause symdromes that would mess with dwarven psyche - cause berserking, tantrums, melancholy, grudges...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 12:26:32 pm »

When i read "Beware his madness!"

I assumed it would cause symdromes that would mess with dwarven psyche - cause berserking, tantrums, melancholy, grudges...
That is also a good idea.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 01:17:40 pm »

what if some kind of evil vermin does this too,but in a smaller scale?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 02:00:45 pm »

The forgotten beast Nylarothotep has come! A great shapeless mass of hands. It has a single black eye and the air grows damp around it. Beware his madness!

HEY! Nylarothotep wouldn't do that. He would pick a much safer form
Pages: [1] 2 3