Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Between gigantic pandas and goblin toilets  (Read 1875 times)

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Between gigantic pandas and goblin toilets
« on: August 24, 2011, 04:18:03 am »

My current fortress just palmed off a pile of rock trinkets in trade for some tame gigantic pandas.  From the manual they attached to the alder cages ("no returns" stamped on the inside front cover), I was made aware that these otherwise marvelous beasts come with one severe drawback — an insatiable appetite for bamboo and only bamboo.  I say "insatiable" because I can't provide any bamboo at all.  Bummer.

So I ask you, how should I mod the Gigantic Panda so it doesn't starve within a season?  I'm aware of the [NOEAT] tag, but I'd like it to eat *something* appropriate, is it possible to get them to eat trees?  Or at least saplings? 

Secondly, I just wanted to mention my modest fortress defense project, in which goblins are led into a space which can be rapidly filled with water or magma, and then flushed into a bowl-like space that leads to a long and winding downward "pipe" to the underground.  I currently prefer water, so I can recover goblinite to make up for the complete lack of metal thus far.  The goblin toilet is very efficient, so much so that I'm considering making it the primary dump site of my fortress.  Maybe I'll be able to flush a pesky macaque or two when they come to pilfer my trash...

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Between gigantic pandas and goblin toilets
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:51:56 am »

Just as I expected: there's a few tags that dictate their dining habits. If you were to remove those you'd probably remove the problem as well.

I'm not sure however if this change would have the desired effect in an already existing fort, but you can always try. The giant panda has [COPY_TAGS_FROM:PANDA], so you need to remove the tags in the Panda entry.

Raws - creature_large_temperate - Panda and then remove
Spoiler: these (click to show/hide)

I once made a drowning device for goblins as well (essentially a deep and usually dry ditch attached to a seperate basin filled by riverwater.) In this I'd place cages which I'd open with a lever, then I'd flood the place. There was a fortification technically intended to stop the hapless victims from being flushed away too far, but that didn't work. I imagine it would be jolly painful to be forced through a fortification like that. Doesn't matter much anyway because the flood-tunnel ended in a drop of about 20 z-levels which had the flushed goblin or whatever smack painfully onto the cavern floor.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:55:44 am »

It wouldn't.
If it will work at all, I think you have to go into the Data -> Save -> World X -> Raws to do it.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:57:27 am »

Oh right ofcourse. I knew that.  :o Slipped my mind it needed specific editing. I was more worried with it somehow screwing up matters.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:58:43 am »

It will, 90% of the time. As far as I know, that only works when editing specific statements already added, and I'm not too sure, even then.
If I were the editor, I'd have made a backup file.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 09:12:21 am »

Better yet: Just butcher and eat the Pandas.
I have Bamboo on my map, but animals are not allowed outside. And there is no Cave Bamboo yet.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:17:16 pm »

I've been looking at the raws, too.  It appears that pandas are the only animal that needs a specific kind of grass.  Tree-eating gigantic pandas are out of the question, because trees don't appear to be "plants". 

Yes, I could butcher and eat them, but why not have a wandering group of huge clawed furballs to take care of the odd goblin?

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:28:21 pm »

Just add BONECARN or whatever the token is. That way they should eat bones if im not mistaken?
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »

Just add BONECARN or whatever the token is. That way they should eat bones if im not mistaken?
That tag doesn't work well.
Just make them standard grazers. Bamboo is a grass - it's just different in-game.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »

Hey man. Go look in the modding forum for a recent thread where I asked the exact same question.

The tag you are looking for is called [GRAZER] or something. The value must be changed.

You also have to remove the special food type requirements. These tags you outright delete.

It will then wark! I have a pet war gigantic panda assigned to my expedition leader ;) never hungry!

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 04:49:19 am »

Thanks, mate :)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 04:59:06 pm »

Thanks again. My grazing pandas lived happily for about a month. Then a dragon abruptly ate them  :'(.  The only thing that managed to do any damage was a brave ordinary panda that managed to bite the dragon's head and most of its limbs while it mauled a gigantic panda. 

The panda-paddock is all ashes.... but the upside is that I now have a dragon-cave! 

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 05:15:51 pm »

You did add [TRAINABLE] to them, right?

I have a war grizzly bear and a war giant panda both alive after 2-3 ambushes.

I've assigned them to the expedition leader as bear bodyguards. They generally do well. Their injuries seem to heal as well because both of them have developed scar tissue.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »

You should organise them into a squad and call it Bear Force One. :P

Pages: [1] 2