Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transporting dangerous creatures between cages?  (Read 998 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Transporting dangerous creatures between cages?
« on: August 23, 2011, 09:48:50 pm »

I've tried to transport some large dangerous creatures before (i.e. bronze colossus) without just building its cage somewhere, and it broke loose the second one of my dorfs tried to move it.

How would I go about moving trolls and goblins into the same cage without having them break loose like that?
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting dangerous creatures between cages?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:10:37 pm »

Make an animal stockpile where you want the creature to be placed. 

Enable that creature in that stockpile only and disable it from being stored in any other animal stockpile.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »

I want to move them between cages - I have about 20 cages with goblins in them and want to link them all to levers so I can pull them inside my drowning room...

but linking up 20 cages is a lot more difficult then linking 1.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 10:28:20 pm »

The simplest way is to simply build the cage you want to transfer the critter in question into right next to the cage it currently occupies. That way, the dwarf just instantly shoves the monster from one cage to another. You might want to do this in an otherwise unoccupied part of the fort so that a dog or other animal doesn't try to maul the monster in the slight interval between yanking them out of one cage and putting them in another. If you want to pack a bunch of animals into a signle cage, this is the one way to do it. The easiest way to do that is to make rings of cages containing monsters and building the empty cage in the center.

It's also best to keep track of what goblin is in which cage so that you don't try hauling one from half way across the map to the new cage.

The safest way to transfer individual monsters is to have a 1x2 room with a cage trap on one space and the original cage with creature built on the other. Attach a lever to the cage and release the monster. It'll eventually get trapped again. You might want to forbid the original cage after building it so that a mechanic won't try and use it in another trap before the monster is trapped again. That or pit the monster above a square that contains a cage trap.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:57:15 pm »

Why not just pit them from above into the drowing room?

At least that way you can pit 8 cages per pit
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:05:39 pm »

when you pit an animal in a cage - does the pitter drag the cage to the pit and then release the animal/invader from there?

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 11:08:53 pm »

when you pit an animal in a cage - does the pitter drag the cage to the pit and then release the animal/invader from there?

Nah you just build the cages

CCC
C-C
CCC

C= cage
-= open space

designate the 3x3 area as a pit then assign the creatures in the cages in the 3x3 to the pit and they should be pitted. because its only 1 tile distance they pit creatures without realising what theyre doing
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.

Gnauga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:17:15 pm »

I can personally confirm that goblins that are not thieves or child snatchers can be dragged about from cage to cage to pit without incident, although passing merchant guards may slaughter the goblins. Thieves and child snatchers will break loose from dwarven grip and make a run for the map edge. I cannot confirm neither trolls nor goblin mounts.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 11:27:18 pm »

Nah you just build the cages
CCC
C-C
CCC

C= cage
-= open space

I highly recommend placing a hatch cover on top of the open space.  That prevents dwarves from looking at the fiends already pitted and cancelling their jobs because there's something scary down there.  The hatch can be closed and they'll still pit, so long as its not linked to a lever or forbidden.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 01:48:58 am »

I highly recommend placing a hatch cover on top of the open space.  That prevents dwarves from looking at the fiends already pitted and cancelling their jobs because there's something scary down there.  The hatch can be closed and they'll still pit, so long as its not linked to a lever or forbidden.

Yah, they just sort of open the hatch a bit, kick the prisoner inside, and close it without looking.

FluidDynamite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 04:42:05 am »

I can personally confirm that goblins that are not thieves or child snatchers can be dragged about from cage to cage to pit without incident, although passing merchant guards may slaughter the goblins. Thieves and child snatchers will break loose from dwarven grip and make a run for the map edge. I cannot confirm neither trolls nor goblin mounts.

I'd like to confirm this. Basically when moving prisoners, either from cage to cage or from cage to pit:

- Wild animals will escape.
- Anything with "Thief" or "Snatcher" in it's name will escape.
- "Invaders" from sieges or ambushes will never escape.

As said above merchant guards will try to attack the prisoner. I actually had a goblin dodge an arrow fired by an elf merchant guard, fall 2-z off a staircase and run off the map. It's also interesting to note that nearby dwarves also dragging prisoners did get their "Job Interrupted by Goblin" message, but the prisoners they were handling did not escape. They actually tried running away while still dragging the goblins behind them...