Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pulping without relying on hitpoints or complex new systems.  (Read 516 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Pulping without relying on hitpoints or complex new systems.
« on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:13 pm »

Ok, so, my idea is that of simply lowering all the structural parts (Muscle, bone and skin) of any specific body part to red in order to have the part be considered pulp. This would mean that in order to pulp the lower arm for instance, you'd need to tear/smash open the skin, cut apart the muscle and shatter the bone. Once all these parts have been damaged to the greatest degree possible, the game can throw on some sort of "pulped" tag that functions sort of like a severed part, causing the pulped bit along with anything attached to it not to function. I think this would work well in simulating the massive, cross system damage that actual pulping would entail, as well as making it more realistically difficult to do (ie, no pulping someone's chest with arrows just because it ran out of hit points)

Possible problems and solutions include

1.The game having difficulty in understanding which parts are really structural, and which aren't.
For instance, to pulp a head I shouldn't have to smash each and every individual tooth, but to pulp a chest I should have to break all the ribs. More then likely the fix to this will just be careful hard coding, since it's not like toady can't just tell it that teeth aren't structural but things like skulls and ribs are. Since pretty much everything uses the same small set of bones, it could probably just be a hard coded property, rather then a tag.

2. Exotic creatures with non-standard bodies.
Mostly a problem of things like giant blobs made of coal. Because they won't have any structural parts (no bones, muscle or skin) they may be either immune to pulping or just pulp instantly. With any luck, the fact that the game already acts like they have those important bits will stop them from crumbling on the first shot, but they may actually become unable to be pulped. Really though, since they lack grasps or heads, they may never rise from the dead so pulping them may not be necessary.

Ideas? Comments? Angry declarations that this is the 134th time that this idea has been posted?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pulping without relying on hitpoints or complex new systems.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »

1.The game having difficulty in understanding which parts are really structural, and which aren't.
For instance, to pulp a head I shouldn't have to smash each and every individual tooth, but to pulp a chest I should have to break all the ribs. More then likely the fix to this will just be careful hard coding, since it's not like toady can't just tell it that teeth aren't structural but things like skulls and ribs are. Since pretty much everything uses the same small set of bones, it could probably just be a hard coded property, rather then a tag.

Why? Making use of the tag system would make it much easier to add new creatures and allow modders to continue making their own custom tissues.

Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:48 pm »

Why? Making use of the tag system would make it much easier to add new creatures and allow modders to continue making their own custom tissues.
Well, the only reason is so that toady doesn't have to go through every single raw and add instances of [structural]; thats really the only reason.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »

The problem I can think of with this is that you'd end up with weird "straw that broke the camel's back" situations, where (for example) an arm's muscle and bone are fully damaged and the skin is partially damaged, and then a single knife strike deals the last damage to the skin and the arm becomes pulped.  It doesn't really make sense that damaged skin could hold the arm together, or that a single knife strike could make the difference between pulped and not pulped.  A better system would be to require a single really powerful hit and then reduce the power needed as damage to the part increases; so to pulp an arm could take a couple good hits from a silver hammer, a single hit direct from a bronze colossus, or many, many hits from a copper slicing knife.

Sorry if that was a complex new system, but at least it wouldn't require much (if any) raw editing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule