Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: nobles aren't so bad.  (Read 863 times)

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
nobles aren't so bad.
« on: August 23, 2011, 05:43:56 pm »

my count just forbids coins from being exported, and production of coins. he's just a fiscal conservative.

<.<

well, the vault's only entrance is in his room...

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: nobles aren't so bad.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Yeah - my current count has been my only noble ever since the start of the fortress - and he's not so bad.

He mandates/bans hives and iron. Hives are cheap to make and no big deal - I end up placing all the hives in my noble's dining room. And iron products I would never export anyway - too valuable as a resource. I'm sitting on tons of limonite so iron is a-plenty.

In another fortress, I did have a noble that consistently mandated the production of tin items - when not a vein of cassiterite was to be found. He got unfortunately locked in a room after being told to pull a lever in said room. How sad. Times like those are when there are some unfortunate accidents.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:57:50 pm »

my count just forbids coins from being exported, and production of coins. he's just a fiscal conservative.

<.<

well, the vault's only entrance is in his room...

One time i was planning to build some pumps to move some magma into my trade depot so i could have !!Elves!! instead of the regular kind of elves, and my baron mandated some corkscrews...

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »

As long as they don't stop exports of socks, my reclaim fortress will never run out of tradable goods. I'm fine with them, too.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 06:48:00 pm »

Some aren't too bad... my current baroness mandates bolts, doors and very rarely lay pewter items in her dining room. She's also the mayor, manager, broker, bookkeper, legendary butcher and adept hammerdwarf. I just hope, she doesn't get too mad, because some marksdwarves "exported" bolts (which is forbidden) by shooting them into elves who ran off the map... ::)

Sometimes you get nice nobles... for everything else, there's magma :)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 07:05:22 pm »

I didn't know there were so many nobles on this board.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 07:09:26 pm »

If you plan ahead of time, you can go through and pick a noble with some easily accomplished mandates. 

This is my current baroness:

It is a magnetite rich embark with tons of flux, if she mandates pig iron, I won't even see it because I smelt pig iron on repeat. 

The only other mandate she would demand is forbidding pig iron from being traded, but there is no reason to make anything out of pig iron.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25:43 pm »

Personally, I don't mind nobles so much. I like the added challenge, although keeping the room qualities exact (something I like to do) is sometimes pretty difficult. Especially when all the "regular" dwarves have really fancy rooms, and the nobles get jealous of them.

One thing that I think would be neat is if nobles did more. I know that some, like the sherrif and the bookkeeper and such, have jobs, but I'd like it if the baron/count/duke enabled certain things, kind of like the old dungeonmaster who made it so you could train rare animals. Perhaps the Baron/Duke/Count should make it so you can request items from human/elf traders, or activate/enable the economy (like before), or even made it so that certain kinds of workshops become available - perhaps being able to assign a "court alchemist" who can do fancy stuff at an alchemy workshop would be fun. Or a "court jester" who hangs out in meeting areas and gives dwarves a happy thought.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Zorae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »

Most of my nobles make pretty reasonable demands, but when they're bad, they're really bad... I had one that wanted mountain goat teeth items D:

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 10:40:56 pm »

Just had a mayor who freaking loved billon items... I managed to just fulfil the last mandate by smelting down his coffin and some goblets; the very next thing he does is mandate more of the bloody things.

Well, sod him. I replaced him and now I'm just praying that he never, ever gets re-elected.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:32 pm »

I don't know if its just my current fort by all my nobles seem really awesome. My mayor only wants copper and sometimes hatch covers and my count like copper and crowns.

My queen also never makes demands, she gets on well with everyone and shes now a one woman army. I drafted her into the military 2 years ago and her kill list so far.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

3 forgotten beasts and about 20 or so goblins so far. And shes only really been active for just over a year.

She wields an artifact candy axe and I'm working on giving her a full masterwork candy outfit, shes pretty much the only soldier i send out against a siege or FB.
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.