Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancers and Miasma!  (Read 1945 times)

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancers and Miasma!
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:43:35 am »

Necromancey isn't even OUT OF THE GATE YET and I'm already making a suggestion! THE GAUL!

That being said, I'm not sure what Toady has planned ((and he never disappoints)) but I've a suggestion anyway. The undead or simmilar unliving at a necromancers command are powered by the foul miasma given off from the dead, we already have miasma IG, why not make it the unlife that the evil dead sustain themselves on? Expiring once again not necessarily from sustaining blows, but from being otherwise deprived of the arcane mist?

*A visual aid*
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It adds another aspect to Fortress mode in that you could fend off ((or at least significantly weaken)) the minions of some twisted corpse raiser with soothing inscense burning throughout your mountain stronghold. Likewise if you have the halls filled with noixious fumes as thick as the carrion strewn pit from whence this evil was spawned...good luck.

It also adds a bit of management to the Necromancer rather then infinate power or some out-played mana pool concept. A more powerful necromancer is a more prepared one! Nigh unconquerable in the near suffocating fog of his sanctum. More powerful Mancers could perhaps store up some copious quantity of it within a urn, reliquary or even their own bodies! A literal kiss of death at their disposal.

Need I go on? Using, amassing, combating or enhancing this simple concept no doubt surely abounds with creative possibility.

Instead, a tertiary thought in passing, that has been said in more then one other post. A Human skin cloak imbued with unlife that will make wrestling attempts against your foes when worn, or kill outright anyone foolish enough to put it on.
What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancers and Miasma!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:41:17 pm »

nice suggestion,and drawing,I support this.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:03:14 pm »

Seems good, although I imagine if rotting corpses make miasma, then so would a WALKING rotting corpse, basicly sustaining itself, although that could be an added danger to zombies (Urist McPaladin has been disgusted by miasma lately. He has fought the living dead recently, he then goes insane because of those thoughts)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Logrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 09:21:32 pm »

Well I'd assume that they create less then they consume, or that it is mostly internalized, or some other nonsense that would require the mancer to not exploit true carrion. No infinite zombie engine thank you very much!

What monstrosities would walk the streets, were peoples faces as unfinished as their minds.

Beznogim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 04:17:40 am »

Seems good, although I imagine if rotting corpses make miasma, then so would a WALKING rotting corpse, basicly sustaining itself
If necromancer wishes a corpse to be more effective and serve him for a long time, he should make something like embalming fluids that prevent corpses from rotting. A walking rotting corpse should decay faster, becoming weaker, more fragile and useless in just a few years.
От БЕЗНОГNМ станет всем ДОСМОТ,
От БЕЗНОГNМ V1 o5 u2,
НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ!
Просмотревших людей сойдут с ума!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:34:16 am »

Shouldn't we be trying to stay aware from things like that for the sake of FPS?

Anyhow "Auras" arn't exactly necromancer exclusive (and they don't REALLY need it. I've seen more Vampires with a cloud of mist that follows them everywhere then Necromancers with anything other then the stench of death on them)

Also it isn't as cool as the picture would lead you to believe as it will pretty much be... a U in a dense cloud of purple gas.. Which technically all zombies should give off as well.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 08:20:42 am »

Perhaps Miasma is not generated by zeds, as they keep it inside themselves, but external miasma slowly heals them?
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 08:24:05 am »

External miasma would fuel the zeds, but there must be some sort of special zombie that does absolutely nothing but produce miasma for the Necromancer's zombie army.  A boomer? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

HorvathSaigyou

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:36:33 pm »

I can imagine magic miasma starting a zombie outbreak, or undead preferring to congregate around rot and death. It'd lend more danger than unpleasantness to a common enemy of all fortresses -and I can imagine these mass burials and rot pits we call refuse piles would quite attract the undead, or at least become haunted. Fortresses constantly loosing miasma gas through a ventilated refuse pile would reasonably attract zombies hungry for rotting flesh or necromancers looking for havoc to cause, if or not the goblin skeletons themselves got fed up and rose again.

Something that interests me is how we have no 'active' spells yet. Only raising of dead, scripted effects, maybe curses. An easy spell to make would be a 'miasma bolt' projectile -a virulently rotting object that sprays obscuring, vomit-syndrome inducing, zombie-emboldening purple gas until it hits it's target and explodes into rotting chunks. Assuming spells make someone exhausted from casting too many, I'd like to see stuff like that.

EDIT: seeing how this is almost exactly how fire breath weapons and web attacks work, I don't see any reason this can't be done.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:42:57 am by HorvathSaigyou »

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:54 pm »

Something that interests me is how we have no 'active' spells yet. Only raising of dead, scripted effects, maybe curses. An easy spell to make would be a 'miasma bolt' projectile -a virulently rotting object that sprays obscuring, vomit-syndrome inducing, zombie-emboldening purple gas until it hits it's target and explodes into rotting chunks. Assuming spells make someone exhausted from casting too many, I'd like to see stuff like that.

considering how the whole sleep and exhaustion mechanic works now that would make magic reasonable and not overpowering. you would still rape single enemys but after 4 or 5 your mage or whatever would probably just pass out on the ground from over exertion.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 01:15:11 am »

I don't think miasma should be as much of a fuel, healing or whatever source for the minions, but more of something that calls them, kinda like dwarfs and adamantine
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 01:25:53 am »

Just a suggestion, maybe corpses could self zombify in evil biomes if left in a cloud of miasma for too long?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:47 pm »

Miasma could power ''The Hollow"...
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 03:42:37 pm »

I don't think miasma should be as much of a fuel, healing or whatever source for the minions, but more of something that calls them, kinda like dwarfs and adamantine
imagine a former battlefield...
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 04:11:37 pm »

Psst!

It's gall. A gaul is one of these.
[Signature]
Pages: [1] 2