Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evil Mason?  (Read 4195 times)

Darthania

• Bay Watcher
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • View Profile
Evil Mason?
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:21:47 am »

My mason just made an exceptional Mudstone Statue of my Expedition leader surrounded by Oysters. This rung a bell and I remembered my Expedition leader "absolutely detests" oysters. Are my Dwarven artists developing political satire? Also, will my Expedition leader be happy if I put it in his study?
Nanos gigantium humeris insidentes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Evil Mason?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 11:23:19 am »

My mason kept making statues of the expedition leader cowering in fear or surrounded by horrible beasts. Naturally I had them put in her office.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:03 am »

I THINK they don't like them, I usually give the insulting ones to someone else. However ever if there's a bad thought, the sheer quality might cancel it.

I'd say go for it and post the nobles thoughts, in the name of Science.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:59:09 am »

One would imagine that higher-quality (and therefore more lifelike) images of negative-thought-inducing objects would just intensify the negative thought. Apparently this is not the case.

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 12:01:22 pm »

Any dwarf who designs images at one point or another in their workday is likely to create one of somebody in the fortress (I think it's more likely if they have a grudge against them) being surrounded by vermin that they detest.
It is, indeed, a laugh-worthy feature.

Darthania

• Bay Watcher
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 12:15:56 pm »

Well, thanks for the replies! I shall post results (hopefully) soon!
EDIT: I say soon, I'm currently dealing with a troll/crundle infestation in my lower caverns, of which the Expedition leader is involved... Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:58:14 pm by Darthania »
Nanos gigantium humeris insidentes.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:32:02 pm »

Any dwarf who designs images at one point or another in their workday is likely to create one of somebody in the fortress (I think it's more likely if they have a grudge against them) being surrounded by vermin that they detest.
It is, indeed, a laugh-worthy feature.
i think its just a dwarf they know, and something they know about that dwarf.

what's more funny are the ones i get of former millitia captains crying because i've reorganized my forces, and those dwarves were no longer millitia captains.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 04:18:30 pm »

Occasionally, they'll also create an image of a dwarf accompanied with something they like:
* Engraved on the floor is an image of a dwarf and dogs. The dwarf is embracing the dogs.
* On the item is an image of a dwarf and anvils. The dwarf is admiring the anvils.
* Engraved on the wall is an image of a dwarf and cheese. The dwarf is devouring the cheese.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 04:21:46 pm »

Aye, one of the masterful statues my legendary mason made before she fell to her wet and early death was of a Dwarf she knew, the manager I think, surrounded by things he likes.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 05:25:51 pm »

Dwarves can dislike others? (besides elves of course.)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »

One of my glassmakers pulled this one with my expedition leader, who was apparently a close friend. I like to imagine it as some sort of good-natured inside joke between the two of them.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 07:59:57 pm »

V Z R on a dwarf actually shows the complex web of relationships they form.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:19:53 pm »

V Z R on a dwarf actually shows the complex web of relationships they form.
i've only seen an actual grudge once myself, but my current fort is also my longest lasting.  the dwarves there dont have enough time to socialize to form such relationships.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »

I see grudges form fairly commonly- normally there's always a grudge or two in each fortress I have. It's more difficult to predict and observe happening, so I don't think there's a lot known about the mechanics of grudge forming. AFAIK, grudges only cause unhappy thoughts now and again when the grudging dwarves are on break at same time, and have to talk to each other. I think that "lost an annoying friend to tragedy" is still a negative thought, as well.

But yeah, dwarves tend to craft images of random things, historical events (both world-gen and in-game,) and their fellow dwarves. Half the artifacts in my current fort depict the creation of the other half, and my statue-maker keeps making statues of either flies tormenting the chief medical dwarf, or the god of food. Lots of fun to be had peeking in on what decorates your figurines and such as well.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:27:51 am »

* On the item is an image of a dwarf and anvils. The dwarf is embracing the anvils.

I read that as such.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.
Pages: [1] 2