Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Treachery and Trickery  (Read 3292 times)

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Treachery and Trickery
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 02:28:55 am »

apt-bot aside

I've generated a really crazy number of worlds in the latest version, specifically tweaking things here and there to see what will happen.  The reason for demons racking up bodacious kill counts is usually that the demon is the last surviving denizen of an outpost that gets attacked a lot.  In one memorable game, the sole surviving member of a goblin civ was its demon king, who, despite the kingdom being in ruins, defended against a human civilization all alone for something like 200 years.  If you want to see this happen yourself, try cranking up the number of evil squares and civ count as high as they will go (and still successfully make a world!), and you should end up with a cage-match between younger civs. 

The demons are able to rack up these incredible killcounts because the worldgen "battle simulator" isn't really done yet.  The current system just fights duels between random participants.  So... I guess everyone in DF fights single-file in narrow corridors.  Anyway; this system usually works out just fine, but when there are large discrepancies in sizes of fighting forces, it starts to seem odd.  Hopefully this will be cleaned up sometime in the army arc releases. 

I am sadly unable to find a pattern describing why some demons are able to survive so long and others get slaughtered within a few years or rulership.  Dragons very frequently "burn up" demons, on account of dragonfire being more fiery than fire (demons should be immune to both fire and magma, but not dragonfire, which is hard-coded and different). 

where is up?

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 07:02:18 am »

Funny isen't it? The demons are immune to fire and magma and dragonfire kills them. Yet dragonfire can be blocked with a simple copper shield. I guess it explains how they never got past the adamantine.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 07:23:48 am »

I had a demon who was a bit similar. He was a Bison Demon twisted into human form associated with war and death. He took over a goblin civ then basically led them to become massively successful destroying a human civ, a dwarf civ and an elven civ which had "teamed up" against him. I think by the end there were like 1000 goblins and their armies were always like 250 strong. I killed him when he led an attack on my fort I think.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2011, 05:35:47 pm »

I think Nekut was the last member of his civ. So if I ever got attacked by his civ, he'd come in with his knife to chop up some dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 [3]