Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sorry in advance. Mod help?  (Read 1944 times)

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sorry in advance. Mod help?
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:56:03 am »

I have a rather large list of questions I need answered before I can endeavor to create my own mod. I am new to modding, but have been reading the forums on how to accomplish my goals.  I have done numerous searches about different aspects of modding but decided that either my search skills are worthless or the questions have not been asked before on this forum.  So... Here are the questions (again, sorry in advance)

1. Is it possible to mod an entity or body within the mechanics of the game? IE dwarves find a mineral that makes them mutate - or the like.
2. Is it possible to add custom workshops/objects to strange moods?
3. Is it possible to add special attacks to weapons? Such as a magic staff with the ability to throw fireballs the way an imp can. And if so a way to scale the damage.
4. Is it possible/how can I add existing reactions to a different workshop? Such as adding chairs, beds, etc, to a Furnishings workshop?
5. Is there a single entry I can use to designate any kind of Axe for building a workshop or have a choice for two separate building materials? I am creating a sawmill and wish it to require 3 axes (metal or training)
6. Heavy armor decreases speed, is there a way to reverse this? Such as creating "Boots of Speed" or a similar object for increasing damage "Gloves of Strength".
7. Is it possible to guarantee a stone will be an aquifer on any map that contains it? Such as a "Water Stone" that appears in small clusters. Related, is it possible to build a structure that acts as an aquifer? Such as a "Fountain" object that once placed creates an infinite water source?
8. Is it possible to let a ranged attack initiate a hold? Such as using a "grapple hook" ranged weapon.

I'll probably add more as I come across other modifications I will attempt. I thank you all in advance.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry in advance. Mod help?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:20 am »

1.No. You can however make a material that, after being mined out or churned out in a workshop reaction, explode into damaging fumes (no healing or anything). But no mutations. Maiming work - to a certain extent, as you may see from the LoFR mod, where a creature can detonate and cause a gas called 'intolerable white light' (which is technically only a gas called that) and cause affected creature's eyes to lose their function for a certain amount of time.

2.Not sure.

3. Nope.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. Nope.

7. No.

8. No. Ammo can get stuck to enemies sometimes, but that's hardcoded.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:01:52 am »

A bit more detailed answer:

1. Is it possible to mod an entity or body within the mechanics of the game? IE dwarves find a mineral that makes them mutate - or the like.
Currently no unless you calculate removing skin/fat by necrosis.

2. Is it possible to add custom workshops/objects to strange moods?
Yes and no. Any object may be used as the result of mood. On the other hand the workshop - skill linkage in moods is hardcoded, so we can't alter that.

3. Is it possible to add special attacks to weapons? Such as a magic staff with the ability to throw fireballs the way an imp can. And if so a way to scale the damage.
Only partially and only in ammunition. You  can create special material with a syndrome and correct boiling point. Then create special reaction to make ammunition from that material. Finally the ammo needs to get stuck inside enemy, which in combination of boiling point and hometherm causes the ammo to boil, releasing the syndrome of the material.

4. Is it possible/how can I add existing reactions to a different workshop? Such as adding chairs, beds, etc, to a Furnishings workshop?
Again you can but only partially. Besides any custom workshop you create yourself you can use the following workshops:
 KILN, SMELTER, TANNER, KITCHEN, QUERN, MILLSTONE, STILL, CRAFTSMAN

5. Is there a single entry I can use to designate any kind of Axe for building a workshop or have a choice for two separate building materials? I am creating a sawmill and wish it to require 3 axes (metal or training)
Yes, you use the BUILD_ITEM tag.

6. Heavy armor decreases speed, is there a way to reverse this? Such as creating "Boots of Speed" or a similar object for increasing damage "Gloves of Strength".
Not possible at the moment.

7. Is it possible to guarantee a stone will be an aquifer on any map that contains it? Such as a "Water Stone" that appears in small clusters. Related, is it possible to build a structure that acts as an aquifer? Such as a "Fountain" object that once placed creates an infinite water source?
Well, it would be a bit tricky. First of all you must create the stone with AQUIFER tag. Next you must remove that tag from every single entry except your own stone. Finally in embark screen you find a spot which says AQUIFER. Note that I don't know how the game handles aquifer stones which only appears in clusters, though there is no other way to do that by modding.

8. Is it possible to let a ranged attack initiate a hold? Such as using a "grapple hook" ranged weapon.

Nope as the ammunition used in ranged attacks are separated from the weapon, thus there is no connection between the two after the shot is made. In theory, just like in melee combat, if there was actually a way to keep the ammo connected to the weapon, like with rope, then stuck ammo would cause the DF equivalent of hold. But alas that's impossible at the moment.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:14:06 am »

One small quibble about reducing the effect of armour weight: you can do it by increasing the armour user skill, once a dwarf has reached legendary, he won't be slowed at all. You could mod this in by setting the dwarven base skill in armour to legendary, but the base game is designed assuming you'll start with leather, bone and whatever else you can manage in early fights with local wildlife and early kobolds and goblins.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 05:18:50 am »

You can sort of make a fountain.
You can make a workshop and give it a reaction that takes a bucket and fills it with water.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 10:24:29 am »

1.No. You can however make a material that, after being mined out or churned out in a workshop reaction, explode into damaging fumes (no healing or anything). But no mutations. Maiming work - to a certain extent, as you may see from the LoFR mod, where a creature can detonate and cause a gas called 'intolerable white light' (which is technically only a gas called that) and cause affected creature's eyes to lose their function for a certain amount of time.

2.Not sure.

3. Nope.

4. Yes.

5. Yes.

6. Nope.

7. No.

8. No. Ammo can get stuck to enemies sometimes, but that's hardcoded.

A few addendums.

1) Not yet.  This is possibly right around the corner, though - read the more recent development logs.

3) Sort of.  One can manipulate the attack tokens given to a weapon to allow it to perform a chance-based "critical hit" of sorts.  Again, expect more possibilities for this in the near future.

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:25:02 pm »

Thank you for the quick responses.  The information you provided was top notch :)

To clarify #5 though, I am referring this problem...

I tried to create an "EITHER OR" situation for my B component below, but that did not work.
[BUILD_ITEM:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

I also tried to do...
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT][REACTION_CLASS:SAWMILL_AXE]
and added that to my available axes(possibly incorrectly).

I want the choices for building to be only the tree cutting weapons.  I know I have asked for a lot of help already, but I would appreciate more.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 03:06:20 pm »

Thank you for the quick responses.  The information you provided was top notch :)

To clarify #5 though, I am referring this problem...

I tried to create an "EITHER OR" situation for my B component below, but that did not work.
[BUILD_ITEM:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][BUILDMAT][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY]
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_BATTLE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]

That doesn't work like you wanted as it will require both BUILDING_ITEM:B: -entries.

I also tried to do...
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT][REACTION_CLASS:SAWMILL_AXE]
and added that to my available axes(possibly incorrectly).

I want the choices for building to be only the tree cutting weapons.  I know I have asked for a lot of help already, but I would appreciate more.
If I recall correctly the REACTION_CLASS has no use in buildings. What you could be looking for is the TOOL_USE tag, but that tag can refer only items that are tools and then the line would be
[BUILD_ITEM:B:3:TOOL:NONE:NONE:NONE][CAN_USE_ARTIFACT][TOOL_USE:SAWMILL_AXE]

Of course that means that you have to move the axes to tool category from weapon category and give them the [TOOL_USE:SAWMILL_AXE] tag. While the tools can cause damage (see carving knives for example) I'm not too sure how the military equipment will handle tools as well as tree cutting.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 05:23:32 pm »

Some interesting behavior in my "water gems", when I load up a map with gems in sedimentary and metamorphic, ones extremely deep in metamorphic layers are aquifers as well as ones in sedimentary; however that is not always the case, randomly they are aquifers, this works out quite well for me, as I can use the dry water gems as a source of water in a fountain building which was suggested previously :)

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 06:16:41 pm »

on the answer to the second half of number seven, i'm amazed narhiril didn't mention one of her own designed buildings (from her legends of forlorn realms mod) that allows you to make water in it, if there's a bucket to put said water in. i'd suggest checking that out and maybe picking it apart to see  how it works, if you have trouble getting your own similar reaction(s) to work

as for some of the rest, 1, 3, 6, and (maybe) 8, as stated previously, not yet, but hopefully all of these options will be made available during upcoming updates, like the necromancer related interactions/reactions/syndromes coming soon, or further down the line when more magic is reintroduced

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 11:47:03 pm »

I am trying to create a reaction to fill a bucket with water, but the bucket is dropped and water is left as an item by itself. What can I do to fill a bucket?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:01 pm »

I am trying to create a reaction to fill a bucket with water, but the bucket is dropped and water is left as an item by itself. What can I do to fill a bucket?

[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:BUCKET]

The bucket part is all caps. Make it consistent with the reagent's name. AKA, change the BUCKET part of the [PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER] tag into "Bucket".
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 01:32:45 am »

Water is LIQUID_MISC, not DRINK.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Rayeneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:02 am »

Strange, drink worked for it.

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 01:54:32 am »

i'd still suggest popping over into nar's legends of forlorn realms. if not the raws for it, at least the thread. she talks a little bit about issues she had doing the same thing, and how she got it to work. would quote her over here, but feel i should ask permission to do that, first...
Pages: [1] 2