Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Action/Strategy games?  (Read 1310 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Action/Strategy games?
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »

I was just contemplating on what to play and was deciding do i want to sit back with my gamepad and play something action oriented like SSFIV, Spelunky, GZDoom, or Castlevania SotN or do I want something that will keep my mind busy like Civ, SimCity or MtG. Then I thought wouldn't it be nice to do both. Is there any Action/Strategy games? Is it even possible? A few games like Pirates!, X-Com/Jagged Alliance, Worms, Portal(?), and the RTS genre kinda come close maybe. Any thoughts?

Just thought of Battle Bugs and Cannon Fodder but its been so long I don't even remember if there even was that much strategy. Archon actually might fit and there is a remake but sadly I can't get it to work on my pc.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Action/Strategy games?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:34:47 am »

Pikmin (if you have a game cube or wii) and Overlord (multiplatform) come to mind.

Edit: In the reviews I've read about it (though I haven't played it myself), Brutal Legend may also fit your action/strategy hybrid criteria.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 12:38:12 am by Flying Carcass »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:00:36 am »

The combination you described used to exist as a genre, after a fashion.

Check out Battlezone or Uprising: Join or Die.

The vid in that Uprising link is really damn loud, be warned.

I've also seen a lot of people compare these to a game called Urban Assault, never played that but might be worth a look.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:26:27 am »

That old Space Marine game where you move the squaddies from isometric perspective, but you have 4 screens to look through their helmet cams and could take control of one to futilely fire their bolter at the charging genestealers - Space Hulk iirc.

And games like Star Rangers 2 and Transcendence.  Syndicate, sort of.  Birthright, unfortunately the tactical game really sucked.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 04:40:01 am »

Oh, I can't believe I forgot before, but check into a game called Sanctum, it's a hybrid FPS/Tower Defense mazebuilder. You design a maze then call forth the horde and help your turrets shoot lots of bullets at monsters. It's pretty fun for pretty cheap.

I remember playing a demo of Syndicate at one point, it was pretty enjoyable.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Claus

• Bay Watcher
  • i just bite the head off that turkey, see? - claus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:09:02 am »

i would suggest you "Rise & Fall: civilization at war" RTS/3rd person hack 'n slash mix.
is a very funny game, although the RTS part is pretty standard (pick up gold, build house, train soldier, send him to die, but the naval battles are pretty good) however, by pressing a button you'll switch controll to your hero and then you fight with your soldiers.
youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH6anKlg9D4
graphics are below stardards for today, but is still very fun and enjoyable.
also, epic soundtrack.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 12:14:07 pm »

Frozen Synapse is a turn-based squad tactics game that's pretty fast-paced.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »

Mount & Blade?
Only a simple mind can be certain.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:28:32 am »

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to give Warband a go. I also have Frozen Synapse but haven't got around to playing it yet. Uprising: Join or Die looks pretty awesome too. I think I'm going to give Overlord a try.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:41:25 am »

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to give Warband a go. I also have Frozen Synapse but haven't got around to playing it yet. Uprising: Join or Die looks pretty awesome too. I think I'm going to give Overlord a try.
Check out my stream in my sig, I have played both Warband (mainly mods) and Overlord...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...