Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74788 times)

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twelve
« Reply #690 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:13 pm »

We are not Spaniards, perish the thought, so there shall be no running from this stampede.

All stampedes surely act alike, and as a true cowboy knows, the only way out is to make a fiendishly enormous quantity of sound to drive them off. So... blow on the bagpipes, and prey. Encourage von Ferson to fire some shots in the air and come up with a better plan.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:31 am »

Well, we shouldn't be afraid of the damn stampede, we should be afraid of the damn avalanche it's going to cause ;D

Do whatever the guide does! Surely a experienced and knowledgeable aboriginal individual like him knows how to handle this. Otherwise, wait until the stampede reaches you and mount the biggest male, asserting my dominance over him, and riding him away from the snowslide.

And no, not in that way. Seriously, you have a very dirty mind :P
Love, scriver~

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 25, 2012, 12:56:58 am »

I HAVE RETURNED!
Make tea for our Nordic friends.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Thirteen.
« Reply #693 on: February 28, 2012, 05:19:00 am »

Late afternoon, Wednesday 10th April, 1906.

Make tea for our Nordic friends.

Seeing the kindly Vikings agree to a nice civilised cup of tea, Mr McGeenyton lays out a table and dings his butler bell to summon some boiling water and the various requisite materials that come together in the noble pursuit of tea making.

Whilst Mr Wellington and the Viking threesome engage in some friendly chit chat about hunting and the lamentable quality of axes nowadays, McGeenyton is hard at work brewing the tea. His brows are knit with concentration as he watches Smythe, his butler, lay out the cups and pour out the luxurious and refined liquid after carefully measuring the length of time the tea is allowed to brew. Smythe is about to add the milk when suddenly a commotion breaks out!

Mr Wellington and the Vikings clearly disagree about the use of langets on the hafts of traditionally styled battle axes!

Apologize dearly, placing the blame on myself, and then acquire tea.

As his friend and countryman Mr McGeenyton prepares tea for their unexpected guests, Mr Wellington takes it upon himself to see to the important task of keeping said guests occupied and, indeed, entertained, by displaying his considerable range of topics of polite conversation.

He asks them politely about their preferred methods of hunting, before regaling them with some of the more interesting tales from his own personal experience, including the time he stalked a notorious giraffe for forty days in Rhodesia, and then moves on to the touchy subject of modern axes, and whether it is, or not, a desirable thing to reinforce the hafts with langets. It would appear to be a somewhat raging controversy, and tempers rise.

“Pøor Arnbjørn, he was terribly pro-länget, wasn’t he, eh?” remembers one.

“Um.”

“Oh, gøsh, yes,”
concurs another. “Such a terrible shame äbout the poor fellow.”

“I say?”

“Whatever åre we going to tell his mother?”

“I said, I say! Look, I’m terribly bloody sorry, what, but I thought you blighters were going to bloody well axe me and my fellow Englishman in the face! You keep bringing up the subject of your poor bloody Arnbjørn when I’ve been trying to blasted apologise but you keep bloody well going on about your bloody langets, and I just don’t bloody well care! I don’t care about axes! I’m a bloody gentleman and I use a bloody sword if I want to be so crude as to use a blasted weapon! A sword or a bloody top hat! Now, look, here comes Mr McGeenyton. Drink your bloody tea and be gone with you!”

The three Vikings’ faces turn grey with horror. Mr Wellington has forgotten the cardinal rule of polite conversation with a Viking!

“You don’t care about axes?!” exclaims the left-most Viking as he draws his and throws his cup to the snowy ground. “You don’t bloody well care about bloody axes? What the devil is the meaning of this?! I’ll have your guts for garters and your hat for a… blast. For a hat! This is a bloody disgrace! Come on chaps,” he concludes, turning to his comrades, “Let’s cut these blasted Englishmen down to size, eh what?! Let’s show them just how interesting axes can be! In their faces!”

The other two Vikings also throw their fine china cups to the floor in disgust and draw their weapons. They intend to show these Englishmen just how interesting axes can be!

All stampedes surely act alike, and as a true cowboy knows, the only way out is to make a fiendishly enormous quantity of sound to drive them off. So... blow on the bagpipes, and pray. Encourage von Ferson to fire some shots in the air and come up with a better plan.

“Blast! A blasted stampede! Von Fersen! You’re an expert in the Elk! Do you have a plan?”

Do whatever the guide does! Surely a experienced and knowledgeable aboriginal individual like him knows how to handle this. Otherwise, wait until the stampede reaches you and mount the biggest male, asserting my dominance over him, and riding him away from the snowslide.

“Erm. I say. I uh… I think it would be wisest to follow the example of our guide! Look, yonder he flees, into the tallest tree! Blast, I don’t think we’ll be able to make it. I don’t see how we could run that fast and keep any shred of dignity, my dear fellow. We need a better plan. Hmm. Let’s think for a minute.”

“Right-o,” says Smith. “Well, where I come from, the soundest technique for countering a stampede…”

“… so you see, the Elk, well, despite appearances, it’s a very pack-oriented animal…”

“…is to produce an enormous and ungodly din, thereby scaring the leading animals of the herd…”

“…and the way to control a herd of the noble beast is, then, like a pack of hunting dogs…”

“… and thus diverting the flow of animals away from one and, if one is on the plains, away from one’s wagon and loved ones.”

“… to vigorously mount the beast, thus asserting one’s dominance over the fiendish yet noble creature, and taking its place as the alpha male, so to speak, of the pack. Then it should be a simple question of leading the entire herd in a less dangerous direction, you see, Smith.”

“So, what I propose, von Fersen, is to make as much noise as possible, you with your rifle and I with my splendid set of bagpipes. I knew they’d come in handy.”

“Oh, blimey, Smith. How the devil do you expect to be able to mount a feisty Elk whilst playing your bagpipes?”
asks, incredulously, von Fersen, running towards the largest Elk he can see. “You need two hands free to mount such a splendid and noble beast as this!”

Smith keeps blowing as hard as he can, cheeks puffed out and red with exertion.

“Oh, rather!” exclaims von Fersen, as the large Elk lowers its antlers and charges him to the floor. “I say!” he continues as he is buffeted from one large Elk to another. “I’m not terribly convinced,” he shouts, “That this particular Elk has accepted my assertion of dominance! Oh blast!” he finishes, as he scrambles to his feet only to be impaled severely in his left arm. “This chap doesn’t seem to have been persuaded either!”

Wound Acquired! von Fersen: Broken Left Arm!, Heavy Arm Bleeding!

Smith blows with all his might, powerless to rescue von Fersen, but still hoping against hope to turn the tide of ferocious Elk,

“Oh, hang about, Smith. I rather fancy that the Elk are changing course! I do declare! My brave attempts at asserting dominance have so impressed the Elk that they are running away! Aha! Have at thee, yon cowardly Elk!”

Smith for a second lowers his bagpipes, as, indeed, it seems that the thousand-strong herd of Elk are changing direction! He appears to have saved the day! Suddenly he points in a particularly calm manner before shouting out to von Fersen.

“I say, von Fersen! I’m no expert in snow, but should it be moving quite so rapidly downhill towards us like that?”

Von Fersen turns and looks. The stampede appears to have caused a damn avalanche! A considerable quantity of snow seems to be coming their way!

…         …         …         …         …         …

Item Acquired! Mr McGeenyton: A Promise to Acquire Two New Suits! (fifteen turns remaining)
State Acquired! Mr Smith: Tea-powered Super Manliness! (six turns remaining)

Current Gentlemen
Spoiler: areyoua; Winston Smith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Geen; Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Thirteen.
« Reply #694 on: February 28, 2012, 06:10:59 pm »

Indeed, they are worthless! Halberds, on the other hand...

Attempt to introduce the vikings to the superiority and versatility of halberd use in a variety of situations.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:33 pm »

I will never look at Scandinavia the same way. It is quite the death trap.

Manly stand resolute against the storm. Behind a tree. And prepare to dig myself out of an unholy amount of snow.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:35 pm »

Draw my cane, and send my butlers forth upon these barbarians.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: March 01, 2012, 08:51:00 am »

A bump for scriver.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Calling Sir August von Fersen.
« Reply #698 on: March 01, 2012, 11:53:10 am »

Quickly build an utopia around myself, Smith, and the tree. Get the Guide to help if he is still around.
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Fourteen.
« Reply #699 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:46 am »

Early evening, Wednesday 10th April, 1906.

Draw my cane, and send my butlers forth upon these barbarians.

...Drawing his cane, Mr McGeenyton calls for his butlers, intent upon sending them forth upon these barbarians. His tinkles his little butler bell as hard as he can - but they have left! Blast. As a wave of bemusement crosses his stern yet slightly bumbling English features, the leftmost Viking charges at him like a fiend possessed.

Slightly slow to raise his double barreled cane, McGeenyton watches in horror as the Viking and his axe rush towards him and as the axe crashes down. ...Suddenly he realises he is being assaulted, and steps to the side! He raises his gun. He pulls the trigger! He shoots the Viking with his walking stick... and fractures his guts!

McGeenyton pulls the trigger to unleash the second barrel: ...the Viking’s left arm is severed!

The Viking rolls about in the bloody snow, trying to reattach his arm. The poor fellow appears quite incapacitated!

Gentlemanliness Increased! Having the presence of mind to call for one’s butlers!

Attempt to introduce the vikings to the superiority and versatility of halberd use in a variety of situations.

With the other two Vikings advancing angrily upon him, the chief axe-insulter, Wellington tries to start up a conversation about the superiority of the halberd!

...The Vikings are enraged! They consider writing a well-worded and thoughtful complaint to their MP, before realising that politeness be damned! We are Vikings!

In his fearsome anger, however, one Viking stumbles in his charge, ...and the second is feeling too indignant to effectively strike Mr Wellington! Mr Wellington ducks his puny blow, delivers a stunning thrust to the Viking’s axe arm with his trusty top hat, and snaps it in two! Graciously helping his fallen stumbling opponent to his feet, the daring Englishman then smacks him across the face with a good solid slap, ...but his hand gets caught in the Viking’s beard!

Too close to efficiently wield his axe, the Viking knees Mr Wellington in the groin! ...The pain is quite tremendous!

Wound Acquired: Mr William Wellington: Fractured Testicle!

Manly stand resolute against the storm. Behind a tree. And prepare to dig myself out of an unholy amount of snow.

“Gosh. I say. No, Mr Smith, that snow should not be moving towards us in such a fashion. Blast! From what I know about avalanches, I should say that this is a blasted avalanche! Take cover!”

...Smith quickly jumps behind a nearby tree as the horrifying wall of snow advances, but he doesn’t quite get there in time! He tries to stand there as manfully as possible!

Quickly build an utopia around me, Smith, and the tree. Get the Guide to help if he is still around.

Spying a solid looking tree and his comrade Smith trying to interact with the aforementioned tree in a manner reminiscent of seeking some form of protection, von Fersen rushes over to the tree and starts digging a delightful utopian shelter!

Alas! Von Fersen digs too hard! ...As the soil underneath it vanishes, the tree collapses, falling on von Fersen and crushing his leg and scratching Mr Smith’s face!

Wound Acquired: Sir August von Fersen: Broken Left Leg!
Wound Acquired: Mr Winston Smith: Scratched Face!

With a mighty whoosh a thousand tons of snow storm past, lightly covering Mr Smith and Sir von Fersen.

Gosh!

…   …   …   …   …   …

In the white wasteland of post-avalanche somewhere-Norwegian, a pair of muffled voices can just about be heard under a large quantity of snow.

“Blast those bloody Germans, eh what?”

“Quite, my dear von Fersen. Blast and bloody blast. Drat, even.”

“Mr Smith! I say! There’s no call for that kind of language!”

“No. You’re quite right. Sorry. I say, von Fersen?”

“Yes, Mr Smith?”

“I’m rather bloody cold, you know.”

“Yes. Cup of tea?”

“Why not? Biscuit?”

“Ooh, go on then. I am feeling a little peckish. Thanks awfully, old chap. Now, about this snow…”

Item Acquired! Mr McGeenyton: A Promise to Acquire Two New Suits! (fourteen turns remaining)
State Acquired! Mr Smith: Tea-powered Super Manliness! (five turns remaining)

Current Gentlemen

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Fourteen.
« Reply #700 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »

Hehe... Stupid phone autocorrection, that was supposed to say "igloo", not "utopia" ;)

Try to dig a tunnel out with use of my trusty dictionaries, then see to the broken limbs.

Love, scriver~

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 02, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »

Start digging upwards with my walking bat stick, and reminisce about sunny California to steel myself against the cold.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 02, 2012, 06:25:55 pm »

Owww...

Shave the viking's beard off with my top hat, or if not, a throwing disc.

Afterward, maintain that I never did this, and the viking brought it upon himself.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 03, 2012, 11:50:12 pm »

Offer the incapacitated fellow tea.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Fifteen.
« Reply #704 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:37 am »

Early evening, Wednesday 10th April, 1906.

Offer the incapacitated fellow tea.

“I say!” says Mr McGeenyton to the bleeding Viking crawling away from him towards a severed arm lying a few feet away on the snow. “Could I possibly interest you in a cup of tea? I have some rather good Assam, you know. Tea of kings, what!”

“Ffnnffåaghh!!”

“Jolly good show old boy. Sugar? ‘Fraid I don’t happen to have any, but it’s always polite to ask, eh? Now, if only we had a couple of folding chairs we could watch our mutual acquaintances fight it out for the honour of o-ooh, by God. Did you see that? Golly. How terribly unfortunate.”

Shave the viking's beard off with my top hat, or if not, a throwing disc.

Afterward, maintain that I never did this, and the viking brought it upon himself.

Coiled in moderately severe pain, Mr Wellington feels slightly enraged! And who could blame him? No right thinking man wishes to be fractured in the groin! And no right thinking man should stand for such a thing! Carefully reaching for his hat whilst remaining in his pain-minimising crouch, Wellington suddenly bursts into action like a praying mantis, swishing his hat through the air with the speed of a Japanese swordsman!

“Aäch! My beard!” cries the groin-bothering Viking. “How can I live with such dishønour! How shall I be åble to reproduce?! Arrrrcghghh! I can never face my compatriots again!”

And with that, the Viking flees directly to the west!

“Terribly sorry old chap,” concludes Wellington. “You did rather bring it upon yourself though, I think you’ll agree, eh what?”

Wellington’s countryman McGeenyton strolls over.

“I say old bean. That was rather unpleasant, don’t you think? You could have at least finished off the poor blighter, eh? Still, one has to admit he did rather bring it upon himself. Not particularly agreeable or gentlemanly to direct such as fearsome blow at one’s family inheritance, what?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about my dear boy. I didn’t touch the fellow. Now, what the devil were we doing before these dastardly Vikings ambushed us?”

Try to dig a tunnel out with use of my trusty dictionaries, then see to the broken limbs.

Meanwhile, quite some distance away and under a considerable quantity of uninvited snow, Sir August von Fersen is busy rootling about in his personal belongings.

“Aha! I can probably fashion some form of snow-spade with one of these sturdy volumes!” he exclaims, getting a firm grip on the volumes “C” and “F” of his luxury dictionary set. “No gentleman should ever travel without one! Gosh!”

Von Fersen starts tunneling through the snow with his thick leather bound dictionary.

He seems to make little to no headway! He begins to perspire from the effort, despite being semi-frozen stiff!

Deciding he’d rather die than sweat from sheer vulgar physical labour, von Fersen decides to stop and sit down to await the end.

“Well,” he reasons, “I suppose I could read through the rest of the next volume to dull the pain, eh? Blast.”

Start digging upwards with my walking bat stick, and reminisce about sunny California to steel myself against the cold.

Suddenly the snow all about von Fersen melts in a torrent of slush and water as first the walking bat stick of Mr Winston Smith and then the fearsomely masculine and radiantly warm body of Mr Winston Smith himself come rocketing upwards through the snow. It is as if the splendid chap has channeled the very burning hot spirit of California itself into his delightful gentlemanly frame!

In a cloud of steam and leaving behind a slightly damp warm puddle, Mr Smith bursts to the surface, one hand pointing upwards and directing his trusty walking bat stick, the other one hauling the bleeding but very much correctly dressed body of his noble companion Sir August von Fersen by the collar!

The two men are saved, and have foiled the dastardly assaults of this terrible foreign land!

“Right. Blast. I’m a little wet. Now, where on earth were we heading before this blasted avalanche struck us without so much as a warning or polite introduction? Bloody snow. I’ve a rather strong temptation to give it a rather large piece of my mind. Wouldn’t be so rude as to bloody well do that back in yon green and pleasant England, what? By Jove. By the way von Fersen, have you noticed that your arm seems to be dripping with blood?”

”I had, Mr Smith, yes. Terribly kind of you to point it out though, my mind was on other things and I clean forgot. ‘Tis, after all, but a scratch, when compared to the grievous wounds the dastardly Germans wish to inflict on the honourable British Empire, eh? Perhaps I in my turn can offer you a service. Have you noticed you appear to be rather terribly nude?”

Item Acquired! Mr McGeenyton: A Promise to Acquire Two New Suits! (thirteen turns remaining)
State Acquired! Mr Smith: Tea-powered Super Manliness! (four turns remaining)

Current Gentlemen

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 50