Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74845 times)

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Four
« Reply #645 on: February 03, 2012, 03:56:07 pm »

Take off head covering, put on my smashing coat to cover up my immodesty, and look for some clothing to replace the suit I used to have. Watch for anyone clearly marked out as a medic to practice their trade.

This Scandinavian diplomacy is beyond me. Where I come from, Norwegians tend their Midwestern farms and only raid rabbit holes.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Four
« Reply #646 on: February 05, 2012, 09:35:56 am »

If Messrs Geen and byZero_ post by then I'll try to write a turn tomorrow.

scriver - anything particular to say about your duel? Weapon choice? Tactics? Until the death / first hit / first severe wound? As GM I probably favour "until first severe wound" in any case.

You know, when you get someone dangerously addicted to tea they are unlikely to abide by traditional rules of polite society and hospitality.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Calling Mr McGeenyton and Mr Wellington
« Reply #647 on: February 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm »

Well, in our times maybe, but in the olden days hospitality was of Prime Importance. There was nothing holier. Just think of all the fairytales, myths and other stories where people get punished for not being hospitallery.

Also since with rifle would be completely unfair it has to be with sword or other melee weapon, don't it? Without armour, of course, like true vikings.
Love, scriver~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: February 05, 2012, 04:01:48 pm »

I guess provide long-range disc bombardment in case the vikings default on their hospitality obligations.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: February 05, 2012, 05:26:02 pm »

Do nothing, let my companions do as they wish.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Five
« Reply #650 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »

Slightly past dawn, Wednesday 10th April, 1906.

Watching from the cave opening (his own bleeding and Mr Wellington's fractured arm would obviously have been looked over while they were drinking tea) how his comrade's luck turn for the worse, von Fersen decides to take action! At last his ancient Norse mythology and culture studies at Uppsala University will come in handy.

After quickly looking over his own and Mr Wellington’s – before his own, of course – wounds with what seems to quickly be approaching a mild level of expertise, the aghast von Fersen manages to clamber out of the gentlemen’s pit from whence he has overheard the shocking behaviour of the roaming Viking horde. Even a man of his younger and dissolute generation – and here von Fersen seems to hear the voice of his father echoing about somewhere in his mind – should know that it is beyond the bounds of acceptability to kidnap one who has so generously offered tea!

Amidst the many wreckages of human life wrought by addiction to excessively strong tea that von Fersen has witnessed, nothing has come close to such a disgrace. He decides to take action – for the good of McGeenyton as well as for the honour of the collective Scandinavian nations! He speaks with all the authority he can muster.

"Halt! Not so fast! You have sat at our table and drunk our tea, and are as such bound by the laws of Sacred Hospitality! Odin's wrath be upon you, nidingar! For this insult I challenge your leader to holmgång and trial by combat!"

A particularly tall and blonde Viking speaks up, and the circle of bearded men surrounding McGeenyton turn as one to look upon the intruder.

“We er… we don’t have a leåder. We’re an autønomous collective. An anårcho-syndicalist commune, if you will. Sørry old chap.”

Take off head covering, put on my smashing coat to cover up my immodesty, and look for some clothing to replace the suit I used to have. Watch for anyone clearly marked out as a medic to practice their trade.

Meanwhile, Mr Smith, for all intents and purposes, is nude, which he has not been for some time. He begins to blush! He begins to stammer! He calls on all his mental fortitude, and, within his mind, pictures the sanctity of the changing rooms of Little Hampton County Cricket Club. There, a man can be a man! There, a sportsman can walk about as God intended, unburdened by clothing and shame! There, amidst the smell of boxes and groinal musk, where the ring of leather upon willow bursts nearby like the sound of grapeshot shattering the ranks of the advancing foreign enemy, there, there a man may be naked and not be ashamed! When a man has just hit a ball for six and the comradeship of a long day at the crease still hangs warmly in a fellow’s heart there are no blushes at exposing oneself proudly to the world!

Imagining all this and more, Smith quickly releases his head from the confines of his smashing coat and wraps himself safely away inside it. He follows von Fersen out of the rather deep hole and, assuming the brave Swede has the situation in hand, strolls over to the wreckage of the British airship.

After a few minutes of nonchalant searching, he finds a rather agreeable looking suit. The trousers appear to have been recently pressed!

Items Acquired! A New Suit! Decency!

Do nothing, let my companions do as they wish.

Mr McGeenyton, aware, or not, of the great peril in which he finds himself and misinterpreting the very slight notions of Taoism that he has somehow acquired, realises that the safest course of action is inaction.

The Vikings encircling him with their angry axes briefly turn around and then, just when the poor Englishman begins to fear that his mind will be dulled by their awful conversation – which appears to revolve around a discussion of the plight of the working classes – turn back to him.

One of the larger Vikings passes his axe to a comrade.

He picks up Mr McGeenyton!

The Vikings start running towards their longboat!

I guess provide long-range disc bombardment in case the Vikings default on their hospitality obligations.

After the gentle von Fersen tends to his arm a little, Mr Wellington follows his colleagues out of the hole that so nearly claimed his life. He sees the crowd of Vikings fleeing towards their waiting longboat! Mr McGeenyton seems to have gone!

Possessor, as we have already seen, of a rather sharp mind, the splendid Englishman puts two and two together: the Vikings are carrying McGeenyton away!

They are kidnapping his friend and acquaintance!

They are ignoring the protocols of hospitality!

Wellington does as any Englishman might, in such a situation. He becomes – though in a rather stoic manner - first irritated, and then enraged. He reaches into his pockets. With each hand he pulls out a flattened disc of rock. He flings them forth towards the offending and caddish brutes!

From his right hand a spinning disc of justice flies: it strikes a Viking’s neck, tearing the skin and severing the spine! He is struck down!

From his left hand flies another stone of retribution: it hits a Viking’s arm, bruising the muscle and tearing the tendon! It passes right through! It catches Mr McGeenyton fully in the left lower leg! It tears the skin! It bruises the muscle! It fractures the bone!

Wounds Acquired! Mr McGeenyton: Light Bleeding! Fractured Left Lower Leg!

Current Gentlemen
Spoiler: areyoua; Winston Smith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Geen; Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:53:50 pm by lawastooshort »

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Five
« Reply #651 on: February 06, 2012, 05:21:31 pm »

Call for the crew of the airship to assist us in saving Wellington while looking for a rock to put through their ship with with my walking bat stick, hopefully putting a hole in it and disabling, because a comrade in trouble is more important than a way off the island. Especially when the way off is beached.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:43 pm »

"Bloody hell! If you get me back to my companions, I'll teach you to make tea if you LET ME BLOODY GO!

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: February 06, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »

Slice the longboat's mast!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Calling Sir August von Fersen!
« Reply #654 on: February 07, 2012, 11:22:28 am »

"GASP! I knew it! Anarchists! Communists! Bolsjeviks or our very door step! Rude ones at that! For King and Country, I must do my duty as a gentleman and loyalist royalist of any measure must do, and rid my fair North of your very presence!"

Filled with purpose and determination in light of this threat to his nursing Moder Svea, eradicate these useless kanaljer, with revolver, and rifle, and umblade, or dictionary if it is what it takes!
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Six
« Reply #655 on: February 07, 2012, 05:12:57 pm »

Probably time for a second tea, Wednesday 10th April, 1906.

Slice the longboat's mast!

Seeing the horrifying effect his deadly discs have on human flesh, Mr Wellington decides to cut off the escape route of the fleeing villainous Vikings by trying the discs out on wooden boat. He reaches into his trouser pocket for another stone discus. He rubs it against his crotch in the manner of a legendary cricketer. He leans back as he takes aim. He swings! He releases! His highly polished projectile shoots through the air towards the longboat’s mast!

A resounding splosh carries back to Wellington’s disappointed ears.

Call for the crew of the airship to assist us in saving Wellington while looking for a rock to put through their ship with my walking bat stick, hopefully putting a hole in it and disabling, because a comrade in trouble is more important than a way off the island. Especially when the way off is beached.

Mr Smith, close to the wreckage of the airship, notices that von Fersen has not entirely managed to find a solution to the imminent kidnapping of Mr McGeenyton; he also notices the great number of Vikings who seem to be rather keen on implementing this aforementioned kidnapping. He lets out a great cry! He calls for assistance!

“I say! Come on chaps! It would be terribly kind of you if one could have some assistance?”

From over the horizon fully half a dozen riflemen swarm, until recently proud defenders of the downed British airship. They look armed to the teeth! They are armed to the teeth!

Having solved one aspect of the problem and rather turned the tables on the now dangerously underpowered Viking horde, he decides to solve the more pressing one: he intends to make the Vikings’ escape with McGeenyton impossible!

He searches about the rocky beach: for what? One can only guess at the inner workings of such a mind!

He paces once! He paces twice! He crouches down. He stands back up!

Mr Smith cradles a sharp looking rock lovingly in his hands!

Spinning the rock into the air, the fearless American swings his walking bat stick with a ferocious movement of the hips and shoulders. The sharp looking rock speeds through the sky like the reincarnation of Odin’s wrath!

It flies straight! It flies true! It… Oh. Gosh. Blast!

Wound Acquired! Mr McGeenyton: Heavy Bleeding!

The running Vikings are scattered; several limbs appear to fly through the air – in a motion very similar to an arc, the experienced observer might note; more than one body seems to hit the ground! The rock impacts forcefully upon the Viking ship! The longboat is dislodged! It starts to float on the water’s edge!

"Bloody hell! If you get me back to my companions, I'll teach you to make tea if you LET ME BLOODY GO!”

Not one to plea for something as trifling as his own life when the fate of the British Empire hangs in the balance, Mr McGeenyton instead decides that gentle reasoning is surely the path to take. As the burly Viking carries him off towards the Viking longboat and a lifetime of enforced tea-brewing, he feels that it would be perfectly understandable should he object to his current predicament.

"Bloody hell! If you get me back to my companions, I'll teach you to make tea if you LET ME BLOODY G-ARGH! I say! Bloody well stop that!”

Alas! A rather sharp looking rock appears out of nowhere! Three of the Vikings are struck down dead, their internal organs severed and torn. Many arteries appear to have been opened! At least another pair of Vikings are struck! One loses an arm! Another loses a leg! A tendon flies across McGeenyton’s field of vision!

The rather sharp looking rock hits McGeenyton in the face before flying off in the direction of the longboat.

The burly Viking carrying the brave Englishman realises that his autonomous band have picked the wrong fight. He unceremoniously dumps McGeenyton upon the floor! He flees!

Filled with purpose and determination in light of this threat to his nursing Moder Svea, eradicate these useless kanaljer, with revolver, and rifle, and umblade, or dictionary if it is what it takes!

Briefly speechless before the brazen effrontery of these uncouth duel-refusing Norwegians, Sir August von Fersen storms into action!

"GASP! I knew it! Anarchists! Communists! Bolsjeviks on our very door step! Rude ones at that! For King and Country, I must do my duty as a gentleman and loyalist royalist of any measure must do, and rid my fair North of your very presence!"

The knighted Swede kneels some fifty feet from the fleeing Vikings, and rustles about in his cavernous jacket pockets.

He reaches in; he pulls out the letter A!

In a flash, a leather bound deluxe volume of Norwegian-Swedish dictionary flies through the air! A red mist explodes: a Viking falls to the floor! His head rolls down the stony beach!

Von Fersen leaps up; he rushes forward three paces; he stoops to pull out the letter B!

Like a deathly bat a second leather bound deluxe volume bursts through the morning sky: a Norwegian Viking's spleen explodes! A neighbouring Viking faints before the grisly sight!

Quickly approaching the remaining ten raiders, von Fersen shuffles forward and once more drops to his murderous knee; he fumbles about his finely crafted silk lined dinner jacket; the letter C shatters the dawn light! Three unfortunate Vikings are spliced in twain! Several square feet of stony beach are painted red!

As von Fersen jumps to his feet and bellows his terrifying warcry, the fatal fourth letter of the alphabet screams through the morning air, howling like a banshee vomiting a flurry of phonemes. A Norwegian leg flies to the left! A liver spins off to the right! A false right rib smashes into a nearby rock! Another two blood-soaked corpses drop to the floor!

"Kanaljerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!"

Von Fersen decides enough is enough; he draws his revolver, blasting away as he closes with the last four standing Viking marauders, strolling with the speed of one furiously wronged. With a deafening thunderclap a hole appears in one: he is propelled backwards a dozen feet before crumpling to the ground! The blood-crazed Swede throws the gun to the floor as he draws his umbrella, flicking out the blade and catching one of the three remaining enemy by surprise as he charges up to the impolite bounders. A sharp edge flickers! An artery opens! A hand rises to a violently butchered throat! A body falls!

But two Vikings remain! One raises his axe above his head; the axe swings viciously down! Von Fersen sidesteps – there is a flash of umbrella, a spray of gore, a bruising of fat, a tearing of skin! The umbrella moves forth. The umbrella moves back! A lung is impaled upon it! The Viking vomits!

The burliest Viking of them all gnaws his shield. His hair is blonde; his eyes are blue: his axe-pommel is speeding rudely towards von Fersen's noble nose!

Von Fersen ducks! Von Fersen sways! Von Fersen drops his umbrella and uses the finest, noblest, most manly weapon known to human civilisation: his hand forms a fist! His fist forms a blur! Von Fersen punches the warlord in the side of the head!

The severed part flies off in an arc!

...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...

Von Fersen pauses to take a puff on his pipe. About him lay strewn more than a dozen bloodstreaked corpses. Politeness has triumphed! He notices a speck of dust on his left cuff. He flicks it away in disgust.

Current Gentlemen
Spoiler: areyoua; Winston Smith (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Geen; Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Six
« Reply #656 on: February 07, 2012, 05:17:50 pm »

Politeness has triumphed!

Down with the anarchist rabble rousers! Three Huzzah for Politeness!
Love, scriver~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: February 07, 2012, 06:15:18 pm »

Celebrate with tea.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: February 07, 2012, 07:57:43 pm »

Weakly request a cup of tea and some medical attention.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:21 pm »

Tea is good, but the boat (and the way off the island) is better!

What am I saying, you can't be better than the best!

No, no, focus... Dispel these thoughts of tea (and of a bunch of gore brought to you today by the letter "D")

Save the runaway boat! Rally the crew again and try to get in and row back to shore and the remaining men on the island. Do properly mourn the ruining of another suit (this time by salt water) if and when we get the boat back.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 50