Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 75073 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Two: The Grand Tour
« Reply #285 on: September 13, 2011, 04:05:36 pm »

I don't understand all these gun-related misdice that keep happening to me. Soon I won't even dare hold a gun for fear of it exploding in my face!

Anyway, send for my dictonaries and catch up on my knowledge of the local languages. Also do this during trip, if possible.
Love, scriver~

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 13, 2011, 04:23:33 pm »

As we all know, Americans have an instinctive knowledge of French. Right? Also, it's too bad that it would be caddish to loudly play bagpipes, which I somehow were given at the departed's wedding, in the middle of London or else we'd find out about its effects now.

Attempt to purchase an English-French dictionary on the way to Waterloo Station. Take one final cup of tea near Waterloo Station whilst waiting forlornly for the train that is to bring me away from easily accessible good tea.

Why must I sacrifice so much in the pursuit of gentlemanliness for Crown and Country?!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:26:08 pm by areyoua »

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 13, 2011, 05:06:03 pm »

Wait for the train normally, and have a cup of tea.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 13, 2011, 05:25:36 pm »

Introduce myself(will upload biography) with how much English I know, then walk to the train station with my fellow gentlemen, nary a word from me, unless asked a question.

Also grab a quick drink while there.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:04:06 pm by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 13, 2011, 05:59:16 pm »

Oh, I missed the part where G was there with us.

Addendum: Greet G as a proper gentleman should, and practice my German by speaking with him in his own language, besides getting up to date with Italian and French (which is what I meant by "local languages). I believe Elks would be a very interesting topic for him, seeming as he's German. His landsman seemed to have enjoyed it, at least.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2011, 06:42:07 pm »

Oh hey somebody joined?

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2011, 06:57:01 pm »

Oh hey somebody joined?

I liked your old avatar better.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:03 pm »

But I had to prove a point. (See signature)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:30 pm »

But I had to prove a point. (See signature)

Still. I liked your old avatar better.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:56 pm »

Yeah I'll put that back again later.

Or maybe another edited version thereof.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 13, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »

Wear my hat to the station.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Two, Part One
« Reply #296 on: September 14, 2011, 03:01:42 am »

Chapter Two, Part One

The six magnificent gentlemen agree to meet at Waterloo Station two hours later in the tearooms adjacent to their platform.

Train in the usage of cookiekens.

And get that bow tie fixed.

Mr Link has spent his time training in the esoteric eastern art of cookie no Jutsu, and appears already quite knowledgeable [6] as he discusses it with von Fersen, who is doing his best to look up a few useful phrases in one of his pocket dictionaries. He also, for what seems to be the first time in a week, appears to be correctly attired, with an expertly knotted bowtie [5]. He has clearly been attended to by his butler.

Item Acquired! Expertly Knotted Bowtie!

Skill Acquired! A Basic Grounding in the Art of Cookie no Jutsu!

Anyway, send for my dictonaries and catch up on my knowledge of the local languages. Also do this during trip, if possible.

Von Fersen is, in the circumstances - given that the enthusiastic Link is telling him, at this very moment and in some detail, how the martial application of biscuits is documented to date back over three millennia on the Korean peninsula - doing very well learning several vital stock phrases [5], and seems to have his pronunciation perfected to such a degree that Smith, savouring a cup of tea next to him, simply cannot find it within his heart to inform the dear Swede that very little Dutch is spoken in Geneva. In any case, Dutch is the only dictionary that he could get sent to him in time, which seems a cruel stroke of misfortune [1].

Item Acquired! Swedish-Dutch Dictionary!

Attempt to purchase an English-French dictionary on the way to Waterloo Station. Take one final cup of tea near Waterloo Station whilst waiting forlornly for the train that is to bring me away from easily accessible good tea.

Taking in the exotic sounding syllables trotting fluently off the noble Swede's tongue, Mr Winston Smith is thoroughly enjoying what, he is fully aware, could be his last ever cup of tea; and, tea having acquired such entirely gentlemanly importance in his life, may as well indeed be his last, since fortune and fate have conspired to deprive him of this pleasure for at least several days [3]. He flicks absentmindedly through his new English-French dictionary[4], fingers lingering lovingly over the entry thé as he commits this most vital and, always, on the continent, most disappointing word to his memory.

He takes another blessed sip of his tea, and looks over his strangely and newly acquired bagpipes which, as he studies them, appear to his ears to make the faintest of sounds, as if a cat so tiny as to be invisible had fallen upon them whilst strangling itself in an unfortunate singing accident.

Item Acquired! French-English Dictionary!

Wait for the train normally, and have a cup of tea.

Wear my hat to the station.

Henry McGeenyton, looking up from his tea [3], sees Wellington arrive. His short walk to the station has passed without incident; he is wearing his new top hat [5].

Introduce myself with how much English I know, then walk to the train station with my fellow gentlemen, nary a word from me, unless asked a question.

Also grab a quick drink while there.

Wellington is accompanied by the gentlemen’s newest member ”G”, who is carrying his foreign rifle, one rumoured to pack quite a punch. He briefly introduces himself to the gentlemen over a cup of tea with the proficient English of a gentleman, and declines Link's kind and apologetic offer of an inferior quality biscuit.  The other five gentlemen are particularly interested in the rifle.

Addendum: Greet G as a proper gentleman should, and practice my German by speaking with him in his own language, besides getting up to date with Italian and French (which is what I meant by "local languages). I believe Elks would be a very interesting topic for him, seeming as he's German. His landsman seemed to have enjoyed it, at least.

Testing out his German, which is really rather good [5], von Fersen enquires as to the rifle’s suitability for hunting – and hunting, in particular, the mighty Swedish Elk.

“Are you fond of the Elk?” von Fersen asks [6] “G”.

Being of the Germanic persuasion, of course, the fellow is, and his fondness is soon tested to the limit by von Fersen’s encyclopaedic knowledge of the Elk and its scat. Who, besides the Swedish, had ever known that it was once suggested that the Swedish Elk be used for a cavalry mount?

Trait Acquired! Knowledge of the Elk!

Trait Acquired! Germanic Fondness for the Elk!

The tea is drunk; the train arrives: the gentlemen board. They head to Dover.

The journey passes uneventfully; the gentlemen cross the Channel on seas considerably calmer than they were the week before and board the night train to Geneva in Calais. The fare in the dining carriage is more than acceptable; the drinks in particular pleasing to the palette and the conversation amongst the six men pleasing to the ear and the intellect. It is well into the early hours of the morning before they retire to their three Gentleman Class sleeping compartments.

3.13am, Saturday 26th January, 1906, Somewhere near Troyes, France

As the train heads south, passing through the home of champagne, the gentlemen are awoken by a violent commotion coming from not far down the corridor from their sleeping compartments.

Link, with his excellent German linguistic skills, awakes with a shout.

“My God!” he exclaims, waking von Fersen, who is sharing his cabin, “The Germans!”
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:57:54 am by lawastooshort »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 14, 2011, 04:47:49 am »

Cookie no Jutsu?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:35 am »

It was late when I typed it up. Changed it for you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 14, 2011, 05:42:00 am »

"What is this caddish behaviour, waking us up in the middle of the night? Such dishonour, interrupting our well needed gentlemen's slumber."

Arm myself with umbrella-sword and leave the cabin. If there is not Germans in the corridor (I guess you could call it that?), go into the other cabins and wake up fellow agents.

"Hurry, Mr Link, before the Germans locate us."
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 50