Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74887 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One
« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2011, 10:39:34 am »

What do you think is fairest? That I roll for initiative for your actions, or that I roll them in the order you post? I have kind of combined the two so far.
Roll initiative, I think, unless someone explicitly states they're trying to interrupt/stop somebody from doing something or do something before another.

Also, I forgot to add on my previous post:
2)       Would you have any objections to the first major villain being an invited PC rather than a GM controlled NPC? It might make him more of a challenge / imaginative. This isn’t likely though as I can’t quite figure out how to do it yet and I’m not sure it would be fair.

3)      Are you prepared for a possible death? I haven’t scripted one, but I guess with enough 1s and 6s it could happen. I hadn’t really thought about it before, but there were some upsetting sequences of 1s and 6s in Part Three of the Prologue, e.g. Link's sneak attack, McGeenyton's monocle, and the sequence of 6s and a 1 that led the flaming German out of the window, not to mentioned Smith's bruised head.
2, I'm fine with it.

3. And also ready for death. It would be an honour to die in the service of the British Empire!

No particular backs to feed yet, though. ;)
Love, scriver~

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2011, 11:26:37 am »

Open up my top hat and put it on. Then calmly walk over to the German and stand there, looking serious.

1)      Do you have any feedback before Chapter One begins in earnest? As mentioned, this is my first RTD, my first real contribution to the forum, and I seem to be doing a great deal of typing. So if I am doing anything wrong or that could be improved I would prefer to know than to never find out. If you don’t like it there would seem to be very little point continuing. Posts or PMs will be acceptable. Some GM feedback would be - so far I am enjoying GMing your gentlemanly actions.
I do say, it's quite astonishing for it to be your first RTD. It's creative, fun, and interesting, and it adds a new dimension to gameplay with the whole gentlemanliness aspect.

2)       Would you have any objections to the first major villain being an invited PC rather than a GM controlled NPC? It might make him more of a challenge / imaginative. This isn’t likely though as I can’t quite figure out how to do it yet and I’m not sure it would be fair.
You could do it via PM, although I can't figure out any way to keep him from seeing the protagonist's plans.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2011, 12:14:13 pm »

1. Yer doing great for a first, mine died out in a few days due to me getting sick.
2.I dunno...
3. HELL YES I AM!

Henry McGeenyton Questions the wounded German, offering him a cup of tea.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:53 pm »

That's like asking somebody to lend you some money while punching them in the face.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »

This has happened before. McGeenyton is just one person, so he's got to be both the good cop, and the bad cop.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 25, 2011, 02:15:52 pm »

Thank you for the kind words. It's much appreciated.

GM Morale Boosted! The story shall advance!

Also, general consensus and common sense would indicate that I should keep it to just the Gentlemanly PCs. I'd rather keep it simple and therefore hopefully continuable until DELETED SPOILER the end.

If I am correct that that is all 6 gentlemen ready, I shall proceed with the turn, as soon as I can.

oooh, and edit: Sacrificing oneself for King and Country would give an enormous Gentlemanliness boost it has to be said.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:17:41 pm by lawastooshort »

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2011, 02:31:09 pm »

That might be the only way to get out of getting more wounds, but isn't death a very bad wound?

1. I think your writing is quite amazing. Loving the gentlemanliness of it.
2. I'm all for letting more people play, it's much more fun than sitting on the sideline, but if it causes trouble for you, then that's a bigger problem.
3. Between the severity of the death wound, and the glory that I would get for being an American in defense of England, I would gladly die for your my country.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter One Part Two
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2011, 04:16:38 pm »

Chapter One Part Two

As the aftermath is cleared away, Henry McGeenyton takes his wounded foe to one side, quietly and politely questioning him [3] as to his fellows’ intentions as he offers the chap a strong cup of tea [6]. As McGeentyon calls for a servant to bring a platter and a tea set, the German confesses that, unfortunately, as a junior, or rather non-Prussian, member of his group, he wasn’t let in on much in the way of planning. He does reveal though that when he returns to Germany, God willing, he shall certainly recount his honourable foe’s kindness to his father, William Ernest of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. He asks his more Prussian comrade to join him in some refreshment.

Gentlemanliness Increased! Merciful to his foe!

Find a doctor and a tailor to repair myself and my coat. Wait until after Link finishes to interrogate the German.

Aware that in his present company there is little more pressing than matters of tasteful appearance, Winston Smith leaves Sir Melville's Oxford Street chambers to repair the damage to himself, and, perhaps more importantly, his evening jacket. He leaves the building, passes the smoldering corpse of the German encircled by shattered morsels of glass, and pauses to admire the full moon shining through the first few flakes of snow that are beginning to fall and silently shroud the street. The British Gentleman might typically like to imagine Smith’s countrymen as unrefined, perhaps even a little uncouth, but it would be hard to argue that this young man is not a splendid specimen of a gentleman, able both to fight like a soldier and to admire the finer facets of existence as would a poet.

Despite the late hour, he [6] happens across both a tailor and a doctor without much further ado. The tailor manages to fix his jacket with remarkable skill and rapidity; the doctor prescribes Smith a sharp shot of fine brandy and sends him on his way, entirely mended. Smith pauses in the doorway of the doctor's cabinet, lights a cigar, and strolls slowly back down the street, healed in mind, body, and garment.

Item lost! A ruined evening jacket!
Item gained! A suitable evening jacket!
Wounds healed!

Back in Sir William Melville's drawing room, temporarily the most important and historic location in the Empire - although this fact is for the moment unknown to the occupiers - a heated discussion is underway.

Straighten my bowtie.
"I must say, must you be so brutish? You have caused quite a mess here,"

Mr Link is straightening his bowtie, all the while admonishing his fellow gentleman for causing such a blood spatter on the fine hallway carpet. He seems to care very dearly about the mess and the uncouth manner in which it was caused, for [1] he manages to crumple his bowtie! If only his butler were about.

Item Acquired! Crumpled bowtie (temporary -1 to Gentlemanliness)

The atmosphere threatens to sour; not only do the gentlemen disagree on the correct approach with which to deal with their German prisoners, the five gentlemen, the illustrious Sir Melville, and the aforementioned prisoners have all just witnessed the sad demise of a once magnificent bowtie.

Von Fersen realises there is a situation to rescue, he realises, indeed, that it is time for a return to good old fashioned gentlemanliness.

Thank the butler for taking care of the jacket before putting it on. Have a good smoke to calm the nerves. Pose gentlemanly with pipe in hand before the Germans.

The so recently enraged von Fersen thanks the waiting butler with a nod of the head, and retakes possession of his jacket. He reaches into his breast pocket and serenely removes an expertly crafted pipe, into which he inserts a small amount of tobacco, which he in turn deftly lights with an ember from the fireplace.

The calming effect is, inwardly, particularly noticeable, and although the well-bred Swede had managed to look impressively calm even whilst impaling a German with an umbrella and some not inconsiderable blood rage and then unfortunately witnessing the massacre of Link's bowtie, von Fersen's act radiates an outer calmness which spreads forthwith throughout the fine Edwardian drawing room, bringing back an ambience of days gone by. He pauses briefly in front of the two prisoners, [5] intimidating them with his gentlemanliness.

Sharpen my claymore and prepare to interrogate the German cad.

The poor souls, cads though they are, surely deserve the pity of our dear reader: they turn from one honourable gentleman to another, only to see the fearsome Scot Wallace sharpening his claymore - the very one that so recently split a man from head to toe. To the untrained observer this might have seemed perhaps unnecessary, yet an honourable warrior such as Wallace knows that if one lives by the sword, that selfsame sword had best be kept in tiptop condition - ready for service in the flash of an eyelid. He seems to be preparing to interrogate them [4], and they both remember the stories their mothers told them about the beastly English.

Open up my top hat and put it on. Then calmly walk over to the German and stand there, looking serious.

They appear to be further intimidated, nay, they appear to be positively confused with fear, a fear which deepens as Wellington makes his move.

Realising what Wellington must have done to their camarades in the study, one can understand their mindless panic when that proud top hat practitioner approaches them seemingly preparing his top hat! He has a deathly steel in his eyes. He displays a supreme seriousness.

But as he stands there before them, the Germans seem to receive an unhoped for lifeline.

"Wait. I can speak German. If you leave the room, I can pretend to be a spy, and he might be more than willing to share what he knows with me."

With a quiet word in their ears, Mr John Link requests that the other gentlemen leave the room, and benevolently approaches the pair [6].

"I say," he begins, in his most proficient German. "Do not be doing the vorrying. I have been sent here by Chancellor von Bülow himself; I am on your side!"

The first German looks suspiciously at him - "Your accent is not that of Prussia," he starts, but his fellow German interrupts.

Heroic Incompetence! "Look at his ridiculous bowtie Jan - no true Englishman could have made such a hash of that! His accent may sound strange to our ears but every Bavarian does! It is barely German that they speak in the South! Let us hear what our friend has to say..."

Some ten minutes later, the gentlemen in the study are having a lively discussion with Sir Melville about the merits of 1889 Ararat brandy in relation to that of 1890 when Link opens the door.

"I say, gentlemen," he interjects, "it appears we must leave with some considerable urgency. Von Junker's train arrives at Waterloo Station in an hour, and a car is waiting for him to take him directly to Dover, where it seems they have arranged for some kind of flying contraption. The Kaiser is sparing nothing to get his mitts on these damnable plans!"

He blushes at the vulgarity but does not stumble in his speech.

"Where is our young American? We haven't a moment to - "

At that moment Winston Smith is ushered into the study by one of Melville's butlers.

"Ah. I see," continues Link. "I say," he asks the butler, "would you mind awfully apologising to those two Germans with regards to my heinous deception? Fellows, let us prepare ourselves, and let us depart! I believe we have an Empire to save!"
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 02:26:57 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »

[OOC: Please formulate a plan of action. Also - is there anything in the room (or not, possibly) that you might want? I will do my best to update as
 regularly over the next four days but have family stuff to attend to.]

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2011, 04:43:30 pm »

'tschuldigung.

I must say, we must leave for Dover immediately. Junker will most likely arrive by ferry, since there is no other way to cross the British Channel.

E: Von Junker. Not Junker. Our Prime Minister has nothing to do with this.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 25, 2011, 04:51:58 pm »

Yes, I want my walking bat stick back.

Someone can also try to grab the revolver, but we only actually succeeded once, I think, in grabbing it.

Propose the following plan.
Send a telegram to Waterloo Station informing them to be on the look out for a German, perhaps by making all passersby undergo a speech examination by reading a passage from a book, yes, it's awfully racist, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Then speed to Waterloo, grabbing a cab to increase our speed. If we miss him, send a urgent telegram to Dover telling them to be on the lookout for a loud, noisy flying contraption, and to stop it by any means necessary. (They're not going to see anything at night)

After doing some research, if we're on oxford street than Waterloo Station should be no more than 1.5 miles away, which means we could walk there and still have time to sip a cup of coffee tea. Not because it's better, but because it's night time. Although, we might need the kick from caffeine.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 04:59:18 pm by areyoua »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2011, 04:58:26 pm »

I don't think that would work. A man this dangerous would notice that something were wrong if Germans would get arrested for no discernible reason. He'd might take a detour or change the plan entirely. Never mind that he might travel under a fake identity.
If anything, we should do that in Calais, and try to catch him ourselves. Do we have a picture of the man?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2011, 06:12:06 pm »

I take the shotgun from the German. I would of course ask him for permission, but it does not seem probable he would answer. Also search him for any more ammunitions.

Perhaps we should ask our host if he has any additional weaponry to spare for the Service of the King?

Otherwise I agree with Darvi, we should send a telegram to whatever contacts we have in Calais and tell them to be on the look/hear-out. I doubt he'll be arriving by ferry, though, seeing as he's already in England and trying to leave. I think we should split up, having some of us go to Waterloo Station and try to catch von Junker there, while the others travel to Dover to try and find the flying contraption. That way, if we miss him by W Stationg we won't have to travel at a desperate, ungentlemanly pace to Dover. Well, not all of us, at least.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2011, 06:15:03 pm »

Wait, is he trying to get in or out of the country?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 25, 2011, 06:18:00 pm »

I'll head to Waterloo and try to catch him off guard. They'll expect gunmen, not a fellow using a top hat as a weapon.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 50