Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74875 times)

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Prologue
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2011, 07:31:49 pm »

*Chuckles*

Anyways, let's kill some Germans! Or possibly only wound them. :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:16 pm »

My, I should say this reminds me of one of my RTD uncannily, except I don't have to write for three hours to see the funny stuff happen!

Let's mix it up a little- do you suppose there is room for a villain in this tale?

Name: Baron von Orlofferfelde
Nationality: Prussian
Relation: Son of senior Baron Orlofferfelde, though disowned, consult biography.
Skill: Chutzpah- +1 to attempting to disguise an ungentlemanly action.
Trait: Whiplash- This evilly curled mustache, when twirled, reveals him as a friend of uncouth figures and a foe of honourable ones, both things he uses to his advantage.
Item: A concealed dagger of the three-edged pyramidal sort. Creates stab wounds which are very difficult to stitch.
Bio: This fiendish cad ascended the family under his father by the same name, but squandered the family fortune and alienated his thus poverty-stricken family (who were left with but one country home and a mere dozen servants), refusing to take the title of Baron von Orlofferfelde the Seconde. He reasserted his fortune and grip on power through industrial espionage and 'acquired' an aeroplane manufactory. People who accuse him of murdering the previous owner have a nasty tendency to disappear. While he name is known among the eastern royalty, he certainly would not be admitted to any reputable English club- not without a disguise, at least.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2011, 12:07:30 am »

Persuade the Germans to settle this with a game of chess instead.

Failing that, smother one of them with my top hat.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2011, 02:04:45 am »

My, I should say this reminds me of one of my RTD uncannily

My sincerest apologies, I wasn't aware of this.

Let's mix it up a little - do you suppose there is room for a villain in this tale?

I foresee two problems with this, despite the rather fetching background of this pleasingly spiffing character.

The first is that I have a story already planned out, based loosely on the exploits of my own great-great-grandfather, so I'm not yet sure how I would be able to work a villain into it. Worse, this is my first RTD and I don't know whether I would yet be able to handle the complexities of having two sides to deal with. I will have to reflect on this, hard.

The second is that there are already three people on the waiting list, and it would be terribly ungentlemanly of me to not hold to my promise of letting them play in order. I will have to reflect on this even harder.

I may well be open to suggestions, however.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2011, 02:48:30 am »

My, I should say this reminds me of one of my RTD uncannily

My sincerest apologies, I wasn't aware of this.
Haha! I mean in writing style, and besides, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or great minds think alike, or some saying like that that fits in this context.

Although it seems a little unsporting to offer GMing advice as a player, here's how I'd answer the problems you forsee:

I can't say how adding a villain player would affect your story, naturally. As for having two sides: I would just let them both post normally, and make a point of encouraging people to roleplay and not be competitive about it (otherwise metagaming becomes an unavoidable issue). Naturally, the fairest way to operate the waiting list would just be to put a new villain at the back of the line with everyone else, unless you started the game off with two separate lists. If you do decide to jump a villain in, people will probably be less irked if characters are short lived anyway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Prologue Part 2
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2011, 02:54:21 am »

Prologue Part Two

The drawing room door is still open, disturbed as it was by the dying butler. You see that the Germans coming down the hall are smartly dressed, and have clearly disguised themselves as gentlemen. It must have been the only way they could gain entry to Sir Melville’s quarters.

They appear to outnumber your group, and at least one is brandishing a revolver. Several are armed with umbrellas and they are speaking amongst themselves in an unintelligible tongue.

They are heading directly for the drawing room!

One of Sir Melville's servants, spying the open door and the bleeding corpse in quick succession, does what only seems natural to him: he gently closes the door, and out of nowhere produces a damp cloth with which he sets to cleaning the worst of the rapidly spreading bloodstain.

Unfortunately his instincts also work quicker than his intellect when there is a loud but polite rap on the door from the other side. He stands and opens the door.

A surprisingly smartly dressed German bursts unannounced into the room and attempts to strike down the servant with his umbrella. He fails miserably, and only manages to stumble embarrasingly into the centre of the room. But another German soon follows in penetrating the privacy of Sir Melville's drawing room, and another, and then yet another.

They move to attack, but thanks to that remarkable gentlemanly courage and the sacrifice of the unknown butler, the Military Intelligence Gentlemen are ready!

Mr Smith, showing a remarkable knowledge of Military Tactics Past and Present, is ready by the door.

Cave in their skulls with the bat walking stick.

[4] As the second German walks in, Smith caves in his skull with his walking stick! The German falls to the ground, clutching his German head! He is clearly dead!

Mr Wallace follows suit, bravely attacking with his mighty and surprisingly inconspicuous claymore.

Get out my trusty claymore and prepare to "greet" them.

[3] He gets in a rather good swipe with the noble weapon, but the German shows remarkably good reactions and sidesteps the blow, the impact of which is largely taken by a now ex-bookshelf which decorated the wall.

Henry McGeenyton is in the corner of the room, arming himself with a revolver.
Grab a revolver, ask for a top hat

He absent-mindedly asks Wellington, or anyone else who hears, for a top hat. Sir Melville, even in mortal danger, notes this excellent grasp of decorum, and realises the man will indeed go far.

[3] He manages to arm himself with one of the revolvers just as the Germans burst in.

John Link, showing an even keener military mind, exits the room.

Calmly grab a gun. Leave the room and look for an exit that allows me to flank the Germans.

[2] Link leaves the drawing room on the right hand side, and indeed seems to have found a means to flank the Germans!

“Most excellent!” he thinks to himself, before realising that he forgot the revolver in the drawing room.

“Bother,” he mutters, before all of a sudden blushing slightly and being thankful that no-one heard such a coarse exclamation.

He quietly opens the door to his left and pokes his head round in a distinguished yet stealthy manner. He sees a German just behind the door! He appears to be brandishing some form of shotgun!

If there is a fireplace in the room, I grab a fire iron, otherwise something heavy and metal-y I can easily wield, like a candlestick.

Back in the drawing room, Von Fersen [4] grabs a fire iron, one end of which is blisteringly hot!

"Well, I'll say,” says, indeed, the young Swedish noble.” Let us give those Germans a greeting to remember, shall we? Surely, my friend, you are not averse to me borrowing this?"

Sir Melville doesn’t seem to mind in the slightest.

Persuade the Germans to settle this with a game of chess instead.

Failing that, smother one of them with my top hat.

Wellington, that master of the spoken word, appears unaware entirely of the commotion going on in the now German-invaded room, until three of them approach him, apparently hell-bent on attacking the poor fellow.

He turns at that very instant and [6] is lucky enough to find that they speak English well enough for him to persuade them all that they should perhaps take this into the study and settle their disputes with a good game of chess.

They all take a seat in the study and Wellington opens with a classical variation on the King’s Indian Defence. Then, while the German trio are discussing their next move, the Englishman strikes!

He smothers one of the Germans with his top hat, smiting him instantly! He attacks a second with his top hat, but his opponent avoids the blow.

The third German is still very much absorbed in the game of chess, and appears to believe that this is merely part of Wellington’s opening strategy.

You have gained experience in the art of top hat fu! You are a third of the way to mastering this Skill!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:05:26 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Prologue Part Two a
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2011, 02:56:22 am »

Melville himself is still positioned behind his desk in the centre of his spacious drawing room, apparently more interested in inhaling more of his pungent cigar smoke than in the obvious danger at hand.

After the briefest of pauses he comes to his senses, aims his trusty revolver, and fires three steady shots. Two Germans fall dead, but this deadly and corpulent display is rather ruined when he absentmindedly reaches for his glass of brandy when firing the third shot, falling off balance and shooting dead the servant who had so recently been struck by a Prussian umbrella.

What seems to be the rest of the Germans are now either in sight in the corridor, or in the drawing room itself.

They attack.

One strikes Smith with his umbrella, and he strikes the poor American on the arm! He drops his walking bat stick and recoils in excruciating pain.
Wound acquired! Gashed Right Arm.

The German narrowly missed by Wallace is armed with a cane-sword takes a swipe at him, but only manages to get the sword stuck in the wall.

A second umbrella armed German makes over to McGeenyton and strikes him over the head! Remarkably this direct hit seems to have no effect, and Henry is able to shrug off the blow and turn to face his assailant, getting off a shot in the process and shooting the umbrella out of the fellow's hand.

A German seemingly armed only with his fists makes his way into the drawing room and squares up to von Fersen but is unable to get in a manly blow, landing only a light slap, which embarrasses all who see it.
Embarrassment gained! -1 to attacks next round

Unarmed and caught by surprise, the non-chess-playing German in the study (to the left of the drawing room) attempts to box with Wellington. He manages to land a non-fatal blow which nevertheless ruins the appearance of Wellington’s bowtie.

Item acquired! Slightly crumpled bowtie! You temporarily suffer -1 to Gentlemanliness!

The German that Link has spotted moves steadily towards the drawing room doorway and raises his double barrelled shotgun, ready to fire.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:00:14 am by lawastooshort »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Prologue Part Two
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2011, 03:00:01 am »

SNEAK ATTACK, SUCKER!

But in a gentlemanly manner. Vulcan neck pinch or something like that.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2011, 03:06:00 am »

Although it seems a little unsporting to offer GMing advice as a player, here's how I'd answer the problems you forsee:

I can't say how adding a villain player would affect your story, naturally. As for having two sides: I would just let them both post normally, and make a point of encouraging people to roleplay and not be competitive about it (otherwise metagaming becomes an unavoidable issue). Naturally, the fairest way to operate the waiting list would just be to put a new villain at the back of the line with everyone else, unless you started the game off with two separate lists. If you do decide to jump a villain in, people will probably be less irked if characters are short lived anyway.

At the moment the characters aren't short lived - the Germans seem adverse to rolling sixes, and I didn't start off with two separate lists, no.

I would be happy to waiting list you, and if I figure out a way to convincingly add a villain, or we get to the point of the story where the villain appears,  I will certainly consider adding you before your spot on the waiting list is reached.

There is villain to appear very shortly, I'll think about whether you could take his part but I don't think so yet.

Are you PM-able?

Edit: Oh, and no, I'm grateful for the advice - thank you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 03:08:22 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2011, 03:21:44 am »

Clarity Update:

There are two Germans with Wellington in the study, left of the drawing room. There is one German in the hallway in front of the drawing room, spotted by Link. There is one German left per gentleman in the drawing room, in addition to the embarrasingly stumbled German in the centre of the room.

There are three German, one butler, and one servant corpse in the drawing room, and one German corpse in the study.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:43 am »

"Kanalje!"
Grab umbrella with one hand and strike at my foe with the hot iron in the other.
Love, scriver~

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2011, 07:03:29 am »

Challenge the german who is assaulting Mr. John Link to a duel!
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:34 am »

Challenge the german who is assaulting Mr. John Link to a duel!

I think there is some confusion (I apologise if it is my fault): Mr John Link is currently sneaking up to a German, he is far from being assaulted.

It is Winston Smith who is being most violently assaulted, if that helps.

Edit: I will assume that's who you mean if you don't change the action. Hope you don't mind.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:03:29 pm by lawastooshort »

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58:28 am »

Damn Germans, all drunk on beer.

Retreat! Tactically maneuver into a position that allows me to pick up a revolver with my left hand and discharge it into a German's face. We shall fight them in the drawing room! Even though this is a day of infamy! Even though neither of those two speeches have occurred!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2011, 12:17:34 pm »

Use my monocle to set the German on fire with sunlight. If this fails, pistol whip 'em. If THAT fails, just shoot them in the head.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 12:21:03 pm by Geen »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50