Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74831 times)

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part One
« Reply #615 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:40 pm »

What?! Only one country can send in the marines! This is an outrage!

Stop these phony marines! Open the nearest entrance and smash at the ladders with my walking bat stick, hopefully dropping the foolish imposters into the sea. Try to use doors as shields against the German definitely-not-Marines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:24 pm »

"Bloddy outmost idea, Mr Smith! Allow me to make you company.

Draw revolver and umblade and cover him as he breaks the bridge.

Woo and it begins for real at long awaited last, ky fellows! Just watch for the time travelling Viking clockwork pirates.
Love, scriver~

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 27, 2012, 06:08:51 pm »

Shoot the enemy airship's balloon with my walking shotstick.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:24 pm »

Attempt to throw a plate in a boomerang fashion to slice the ladder.

In other words, extend my top-hat throwing prowess to dinner plates as well.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:36 pm »

Madness! The energies released will be beyond control!
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Two
« Reply #620 on: January 30, 2012, 06:59:38 am »

Sorry about this chaps. I promise a return to clarity and brevity in the very next update.

Önsdåg, 11 April, 19Ø6

Någonstans i Skandinavien.

It wås one of those dark nights of the soul, as Saint John would have put it, ånd one of those dark nights of April, as I would have put it, where one is rather glåd for the warmth and company afforded either by å deluxe bound set twenty four volume Norwegian-Swedish dictionary, or by a beautiful woman with whom one has shared a few absinthes and who might very well be interested in sharing something else: the redoubtable haven of Love, perchance. Alas, last night I was on an airship in the middle of the North Sea, and women, of pleasing countenance or otherwise, were in short supply; and so, somewhere towards the end of the evening, I retired to my cåbin with a large glass of brandy, and opened the letter A in an attempt to combat my seething insomnia. I was set hard and fast 'pon the honourable path of Learning, and nought would sway me.

And so it was that I was awoken with a great cry of alarm not long after I had opened the aforementioned tome of knowledge, which flew across the cabin as I jumped to my feet in a fit of steely determination.

"ALARM!" sang the great airship, cruising through the deathly still night.

"ÅNGESTKÄNSLA!" could, indeed, have echoed the very same craft, had I not fallen asleep before reaching the end of the section describing those magnificent and valiant Swedish words beginning with "Aa", thereby depriving myself of being reminded of this glorious word.

"Blast!" came a second echo, from your very own Swedish narrator. "What the bloody devil is this?"

...   ....   ...   ...   ...   ...

So saying, I rushed forth from my well equipped, at least in dictionarial terms, sea-crossing cabin, grabbing my umbrella-blade and drawing my revolver. I fully intended to seek out the source of this disturbance, and to confront it, forcefully. Suddenly, the noble craft which was thus far conveying us faithfully to the last known whereabouts of the missing Professor seemed as if to receive a vast and stunning blow on her side, and she seemed as if to swing precariously in the blackness.

As I rushed down the narrow corridor I saw my American colleague – worry not, for despite these harsh words, Smith is a fine man – gesticulate with considerable fierceness by one of the doors. He was waving his walking stick furiously in one hand as he tried to open the door, muttering something about an outrage. I was several seconds into deliberating the politeness or otherwise of attempting to reason with or even restrain the fellow when he stopped his stick-waving long enough to point in the direction of the source of this outrage. Finally, I understood.

'Twas the bloody Hun, dear reader!

...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...

Yes.

As my companions Wellington and McGeenyton rushed from their cabins to their station by the second door, I realised that nigh on a company of German air-sea-soldier types were tottering perilously towards us upon a pair of ladders.

They outnumbered us several to one, and they clearly intended to board and capture our ship! My first thought, naturally, was to call out and offer them tea. Alas, the blast-proof windows of the airship prevented them from hearing me. The obvious solution was to help Smith open the door which was still, sadly, resisting him.

"Bloody good idea, Mr Smith! Allow me the honour of offering my aid!"

You can understand my surprise, therefore, when, upon finally wresting control of the door and becoming able properly to invite the Germans in for tea, I beheld Smith before me raise his walking stick and start dashing the ladder to smithereens! More than one poor German fell screaming to his death.

I was reminded that, in fact, we were in the ghastly business of trying to repel these blasted invaders when a hail of bullets flew towards Smith and I, pinging off the stanchions either side of the door.

"Cover me, von Fersen!" called out Smith, calling on my not-long uttered promise to aid him. I propped open the door with one hand, so he could continue his dashing of the ladder, and with the other hand I drew my revolver up and blasted away at the bloody Germans but ten yards away from us.

Several of my targets fell out of the sky the way a pigeon might were I to blast it from the air with my trusty shotgun; within seconds they were replaced by another group of German marines, who lined up on the side of the enemy airship to provide covering fire for their crossing comrades. Their appearance seemed to stoke something ancient and vengeful in Smith’s noble soul, and the rage upon his face thickened. Alas, for this is where things took a turn for the worse.

Wednesday, 11th April, 1906

Dear diary,

I have a slight confession to make, and I fear I am perhaps most uncharitable. Now, should, for example, a poll be taken, the subject of which being, “Is Mr Wellington a splendid fellow and a first class example of an English gentleman?” I should most certainly be amongst the first to raise my hand and solemnly pronounce “aye”.

But! Should a poll be proposed, the subject of which might be, for example, “Is it correct and proper to throw the finest china into the gaping maws of the cold black sea when Mr McGeenyton might like to dine correctly tomorrow, without using the secondary – and non-matching – set of dinner plates?” then I should most certainly be the very first to jump to my feet and proclaim the very profound wrongness of this suggestion.

Thus I found myself, last night, berating the good Mr Wellington. If there is no means with which to defeat one’s enemy at range without ruining tomorrow’s dinner, then war is not something of which I wish to be a part.

I was, in fact, so irritated at the prospect of using the non-matching china to eat on that I blasted both barrels of my shotgun towards the Germans, whereupon their confounded airship started losing altitude.

Alas, for this is where things took a turn for the worse.

Gentleman’s log. Wednesday, 11th April, 1906

Well. That was bloody strange, what.

First, I was asleep before the roaring log fire of my cabin, having finished off a bottle (or two, I’m not sure) of fine de Bordeaux. Next, I awoke with a start and found myself dashing off to the port side of the airship where some blasted Germans were trying to gain access. Von Fersen strolled past me, loudly offering the Germans tea, before helping Mr Smith open one of the access doors. Mr Smith then clearly felt that leaning out of the door and waving his walking stick was an appropriate form of welcome.

As an Englishman I knew otherwise.

I rushed off to the galley and scooped up much of the available fine china, the dinner plates in particular, and then rushed back to my door. I struggled briefly with the door, then thrust it wide open, only to come face to face with a German! Naturally, I aimed a dinner plate at his rather surprised looking face, whereupon the expression changed from one of surprise to one of terror. The poor fellow was falling to his icy death, you see.

However, I wasn’t going to let this mishap change my pre-determined course of action.

I continued to fling plates towards the advancing enemy with great speed and ferocity, as befits an Englishman in a time of war. Unfortunately, my otherwise esteemed colleague Mr McGeenyton seemed to take offence at my plateflinging – he is, it has to be noted, a stickler for decorum, and I may have been doing it incorrectly. In his rage he shot at the nearby German airship with his tartan-trimmed shotstick: the airship nearly immediately began to lose height.

Of course, this impeded Mr Smith in his waving his walking stick, and as he crouched forward the better to express his welcome – although, given the burning rage that his face seemed to express, I could be mistaken in this interpretation of his acts – the poor chap fell from the English airship, floating gracefully through the air until he landed on one of the ladders protruding from the German airship.

Even from afar, the expression of burning rage upon his noble face was now clear for all to see.

The brave American climbed the ladder, until he himself, much like the Germans had intended to do to us, boarded the enemy.

Touché, eh.

As the enemy craft sank further and further towards the sea, our own craft descended also, so as not to lose our colleague Smith. Thus it was that we could hear what came to pass upon this accursed zeppelin. There were many shots and indistinct cries of terror and anger, and observers could make out the words “outrage” and “bloody marines, you bloody imposting bloody”. I particularly enjoyed Smith’s bon mot about the Germans being like a bunch of ducks, which initially perplexed me, until I realised that, like a duck, the Germans too were heading for the water. Rather witty, I thought.

All that could otherwise be made out were muffled cries of terror, the crunching sound of stick against bone, and the ping of bullets being swatted out of the air and ricocheting around the rickety old zeppelin.

Barely a minute later Mr Smith’s head popped out of one of the side doors on the zeppelin and shouted towards us – “Ahoy! I say! Any chance of a rescue? I seem to have fallen into a zeppelin. Blast.”

Alas, for this is where things took a turn for the worse.

Wednesday, Scandinavia somewhere, Europe, 1906

A bloody outrage.

I have barely recovered from my frothing anger at seeing the Germans shamelessly attempt to copy our brave, valiant, and above all historical marines, and now I have to repress my frustration at, instead of being in the glorious city of Hammerfest rescuing the good Professor, being stuck on a bloody rock somewhere.

Blast.

It seems that, in rescuing me from the sinking zeppelin into which I unintentionally fell, the British airship got entangled. In the confusion it too began to sink, but the pilot managed to pull off a rather daring emergency landing on a rock.

In the distance to the East I can see what von Fersen has lovingly told me is called a “fjord”. To the North I can see the telltale sign of an approaching steamship. To the South there seems to be a brightly colored sailboat coming towards us. Directly to the West there are the remains of our airship, which takes up the greater part of our small rock.

Time is of the essence. We must figure out how to rescue Professor Blythington-Smythe!

Blast and damn. I wonder if I have time to plant a flag.

Current Gentlemen

Spoiler: areyoua; Winston Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Geen; Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 08:32:11 am by lawastooshort »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Two
« Reply #621 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:32 am »

...You have no idea what you wrote do you.

Also I am disappointed the American did not place us in "Scandinavia somewhere, Europe" :P

Stop stumbling around aimlessly and gather your senses! The steamship is obviously German, the simple, down to earth Norwegians would never have the capacity to build or operate such equipment (why, it takes eleven of them just to change a light bulb!), so it follows that the sailing ship must be that of friendly, loyal and obedient Norwegians. God bless them!

"To the south, my comrades! Let us greet my former subservients! They will bring us good drinks and herring!"
Love, scriver~

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 30, 2012, 08:28:31 am »

...You have no idea what you wrote do you.

If you mean overall - a little.

If you mean in Swedish - none at all.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 30, 2012, 08:31:52 am »

:D
Love, scriver~

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 30, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »

Search for survivors, offer them tea. Also, search for tea.

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 30, 2012, 10:37:58 pm »

Oh dear, it seems my rage got the better of me, to everyone's disadvantage.

Apologize for my anger, and search for some rocks on the rocky island. I have a feeling that we shall have need of them. Also, take time to practice George Washington-esque standing-in-boat-technique. Surely we'll have to board one of the ships.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 31, 2012, 02:41:50 pm »

Just waiting for _DivideByZero_ and I'll write up the turn.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Calling Mr Wellington
« Reply #627 on: January 31, 2012, 06:39:09 pm »

Flatten some rocks for use as throwing discs.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Calling Mr Wellington
« Reply #628 on: January 31, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »

((Just want to say that I've been watching this for a while, and it is absolutely beautiful.  :)))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Three
« Reply #629 on: February 01, 2012, 04:15:22 am »

Dawn, Wednesday 10th April, 1906.

“I say. Terribly sorry chaps,” says Smith. “I seem rather to have let my rage get the better of me, and now here we are stranded on a rock. Blast.”

“No no, old bean,” answers Sir August von Fersen. “It’s quite understandable in the face of such brazen provocation. Those Germans are a cunning foe! However, it is time to act. We must stop stumbling around aimlessly and gather our senses! That steamship is obviously German: the simple, down to earth Norwegians would never have the capacity to build or operate such equipment (why, it takes eleven of them just to change a light bulb!), so it follows that the sailing ship must be that of friendly, loyal and obedient Norwegians. God bless them! I propose, therefore, that we signal for their attention. I say, that’s a rather striking pose Smith! Reminds me of someone.”

"To the south, my comrades! Let us greet my former subservients! They will bring us good drinks and herring!"

[2] Stumbling around aimlessly to the north of the small rocky island, von Fersen tries desperately to attract the attention of the Viking longboat to the south. Fortunately there is a small rocky island between them and him, and they don’t seem to notice the noble young Swede! There will be no herring today!

Search for survivors, offer them tea. Also, search for tea.

[4] Meanwhile, McGeenyton seems to have found a small tin of loose tea: the obvious thing to do would be to find someone to whom he can offer it. He searches high and low, although mostly low, along the flat and rocky coastline, looking for survivors from last night’s air-disaster. He waves his arms in the air, and attempts to use his monocle as a signaling aid. [1] The fierce beam of focused sunlight attracts the attention of a passing Viking longboat to the south! Suddenly the drums of war sound, and the cries of ferocious Vikings drift towards the stranded gentlemen!

Item Acquired! Tin of loose tea leaves.

Flatten some rocks for use as throwing discs.

[4] The sound of war stirs something in Mr Wellington’s soul: he remembers Agincourt; he remembers Waterloo; he remembers Hernani; he gathers a great quantity of rocks from about him, and bashes them one ‘ponst the other until he has forged, in the white heat of his iron will, a vast and magnificent collection of worked stones fit for the most lauded ancient diskophoros. He adjusts his top hat in a rather immoderate display of self-contentment.

Item Acquired! Throwing discs.

Apologize for my anger, and search for some rocks on the rocky island. I have a feeling that we shall have need of them. Also, take time to practice George Washington-esque standing-in-boat-technique. Surely we'll have to board one of the ships.

Hearing the approaching din of a terrifying Viking raid, Mr Smith reaches the conclusion that now would be an apposite time to cease his noble imitation of Mr George Washington, Esq. [4], and to search for some rocks. Who knows, he muses, perhaps we might have need of some?

Alas! [1] The rocky island yields no rocks! Where, muses Smith, once more, as he falls down a deep and dark hole, have, he continues, bouncing off a rather sharp stone, all the rocks, he concludes, as he comes to a halt amidst a particularly pointy rock, go-arrrrrghh!

“I say. Terribly sorry chaps,” shouts Smith. “I appear to have fallen down a rather deep hole!”

Wounds Acquired! Broken Rib! Heavy Bleeding!

Current Gentlemen

Spoiler: areyoua; Winston Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Geen; Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Notes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 04:38:54 am by lawastooshort »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 50