Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50

Author Topic: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part Twenty One.  (Read 74868 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Two, Part 26: Mourning.
« Reply #600 on: December 10, 2011, 03:13:17 am »

By your updating other RTDs, I'd be guessing your wrist ha shealed. Any hanc of a revival for this exquisite RTD?

I'm updating RolyGrail pretty much against doctor's orders, who's also suggested that I shouldn't play ANY games over the Christmas break from work, to give my hands/wrist a proper chance to rest.

I will try to revive this in the first week of January, I hope.

Edit: Well - shall we aim for the third week instead?

Yes! I was waiting for a special extra, but will fit them in later if I can.

Incidentally, there are a couple of rule changes posted in the first post.

INCIDENTALLY - Does anyone have any better Agent names?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:01:11 am by lawastooshort »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Interlude.
« Reply #601 on: January 23, 2012, 08:03:25 am »

HM Military Intelligence: Gentlemen’s Division

Personnel File

Agent Identifier: Agent Cricket

Name: Mr Winston Smith, Esq.

Photo:

Notes: Despite being an American, Smith appears to be a fine specimen of a gentleman, and knowledgeable in the art of gentlemannery. He has a reputation amongst his colleagues for calmness under fire, although he has been known to display a brutality that we have sadly come to expect from our fellow Anglophone agents. Has improved since contact with gentlemen, however.

Reputed to be a skilled cricket all-rounder. No known blemishes on record, excepting aforementioned penchant for brutal violence. This is not yet considered to be a handicap.

Vital Statistics:

Spoiler: Winston Smith (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Mr Winston Smith, Esq.
« Reply #602 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33:39 pm »

:D

Looking forward.
Love, scriver~

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 23, 2012, 06:44:17 pm »

Darvi never was banned, why is he on the "Misplaced" list?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 23, 2012, 07:09:06 pm »

He stopped playing, so he ended up entangled in a fight for leadership of the Swiss criminal underworld, and hasn't been heard from since.
Love, scriver~

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 23, 2012, 07:56:27 pm »

Oh, stopped playing. IS JUST LESS PEOPLE IN THE WAY OF THE WAITING LIST BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Mr William Wellington, Esq.
« Reply #606 on: January 24, 2012, 04:25:38 am »

Personnel File

Agent Identifier: Agent Bootie

Name: Mr William Wellington, Esq.

Photo:

Notes: Although Wellington is known to have worked, he appears to be a particularly fine specimen of gentleman, knowledgeable in the art of top hat wearing and fine appearances. It is unconfirmed that he has dispatched several enemies of the King using said top hat.

Seems particularly charming, even for a gentleman. No known blemishes on record, although it should be noted he is apparently responsible for the Great Fire of Geneva, Winter 1906.

Vital Statistics:

Spoiler: William Wellington (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Mr Henry McGeenyton, Esq.
« Reply #607 on: January 24, 2012, 10:04:55 am »

Personnel File

Agent Identifier: Agent Monocle

Name: Mr Henry McGeenyton, Esq.

Photo:

Notes: McGeenyton is from a fine line of gentlemen and his allegiance to King and country can therefore not be doubted. His fondness for tea is also noted, which further suggests his unwavering loyalty.

Colleagues report he is rather skilled at monocle wearing. Keen duelist. No known blemishes on record.

Vital Statistics:

Spoiler: Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Sir August von Fersen
« Reply #608 on: January 25, 2012, 04:35:59 am »

Personnel File

Agent Identifier: Agent Hurdy

Name: Sir August von Fersen (proposed, CB)

Photo:

Notes: Despite the difficulties we have with his nigh unpronounceable foreign name, Agent Hurdy is an exceptional example of both spy and gentleman, a fond aficionado of both guns and hunting. Talented with a pipe.

He has lost an eye in the service of the King – indeed, he seems rather accident prone, which seems to be due to the enthusiasm of youth. His family is of notably fine Swedish stock. However, it is noted that he is a published poet and therefore, regardless of CB’s high opinion of this agent, it is suggested he be kept under careful observation.

Vital Statistics:

Spoiler: Sir August von Fersen (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Interlude
« Reply #609 on: January 25, 2012, 05:12:06 am »

Interlude

3.07pm, Monday 9th, April, 1906.

An exceptionally well crafted drawing room, London.

As Sir William Melville ushers the four gentlemen through the solid oak door, gesturing for them to sit down before the vast finely crafted mahogany desk that dominates the room, a gust of warmth rises to meet them. The room is extremely warm, heated by a roaring log fire beside the desk.

The keen mind of William Wellington remembers the rumours that the occupant of this exceptionally well crafted drawing room is quite unwell, battling on in his duty despite the most disagreeable of situations, as rightly befits such a fine gentleman.

What does not rise to meet them, however, is the imposing form of Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman himself, who continues reading and shuffling through a small set of papers, occasionally letting out an appreciative grunt, sometimes a derisive snort.

After a few more minutes of this, he looks up.

“Pfah! Those bloody Germans, eh! Bloody good show chaps.”

He gets up without a trace of the ponderousness his health might suggest, making his way to the gentlemen’s side of the desk, hand outstretched.

“Campbell-Bannerman. Absolutely bloody delighted to meet you. Melville’s been keeping me up to date about your Hun-foiling exploits,” he says, pointing towards the paperwork he’s just been shifting through. “Now, I should have liked this to have been entirely a meeting for pleasure, but something unfortunate has cropped up, so I’m afraid the pleasure part will have to be curtailed, and the business part embarked upon post-haste.”

Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman returns to his seat, and flicks through a couple of documents before picking one up in particular.

“Now, I’m sorry this has to be directed at one and only one of you, but since His Majesty had a word last year I’m apparently only meant to do this based on some sort of system of merit, and that system of merit is based on how much of a gentleman you are. It’s worked for the Empire for hundreds of bloody years, so I don’t see much of a reason to change it now, eh? Right, now,” he says, looking towards von Fersen, “I presume you are our Swedish friend? Von…” and here Sir Henry looks briefly at his nearby butler, showing him the file, “How do you pronounce this, Jenkins? Von Ferrr? Fur? Von Furdygurdy?”

“Von Fersen, Sir Henry.”

“Right. Yes. I see. Von Furdygurdy. Easy once you know how, eh! Now, according to these reports Melville’s been sending me, you’re a rather bloody good gentleman spy. You’ll have to see His Majesty to get all the right paperwork done, but from now on you’re a bloody Sir. I’m bestowing a knighthood upon you, as they say. Bloody well done! Now, who’s for brandy?”

Title Acquired: Sir August von Fersen!

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three
« Reply #610 on: January 25, 2012, 05:56:08 am »

4.42pm, Monday 9th, April, 1906.

An exceptionally well crafted drawing room, Downing Street, London.

“… and of course, that wouldn’t bloody do at all, would it! Obviously, I told the poor fellow that I thought as much, whereupon he aimed a blow towards my mid-riff, so I thrust the assegai through his bloody chest! He wasn’t best pleased about that, but it’s not like he left me a great deal of choice, what? Strangely enough though, I came across him again in Marienbad later that year, and…"

The fascinating tales of Sir Henry are interrupted when a butler opens the door, signaling for Sir William Melville to enter.

“Prime Minister, awfully sorry to interrupt your brandy and cigar, but we really must get down to business. Mrs Blythington-Smythe really is quite distressed, not to mention General Houndercraft. This really is now a matter of utmost national importance. Jenkins,” Melville adds, addressing the nearby butler, “Fetch a brandy for me, would you?”

…         …         …         …         …         …

"Well. Forgive me, Prime Minister, when I repeat various things that I'm sure you're more than aware of." Sir William Melville turns back to the four gentleman spies sipping brandy before him. He seems quite clearly worked up about the situation. "Right. Obviously what I'm about to tell you is in the strictest of secrecy and all that. You may or may not have heard of Professor Blythington-Smythe: I suppose it depends on how much one keeps up to date with journals of scientific weaponeering."

"Anyway, the good Professor is reckoned to be England's foremost expert in experimental weaponry – we've had a fair few jobs for the man ourselves, in fact. Last month he went to Norway, to visit his friend and former colleague Professor Birkeland, formerly of the Universites of Oslo, Cambridge, and Sorbonne, and, co-incidentally, also a leading expert on experimental weaponry. Magnetic-powered weaponry, apparently, although I can't say I know much about that kind of thing. Developed a revolver one can use for hunting whales, I heard. Fascinating chap. Tremendous moustache."

Melville notices a disapproving and bushy eyebrow arch upwards on Sir Campbell-Bannerman's forehead, not to mention a few quizzical looks from the assembled gentlemen.

"Yes. Of course. Right. To cut a long story short, Blythington-Smythe never bloody arrived, and we've reason to believe he's been kidnapped. We're worried that his captors will try and force him to work for them, and God knows what he could come up with if his eccentric brain was working on the side of evil..."

"Your airship to Hammerfest will leave tomorrow morning. That's where he was supposed to meet with Birkeland, so that's where you can try to pick up the trail. Now, if there's anything you need to attend to, now's the time."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:33:16 pm by lawastooshort »

areyoua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three
« Reply #611 on: January 25, 2012, 09:14:27 am »

Norway? Well, clearly we're going to need some smashing coats.

To the Tailor! Purchase a coat, and try to remember to wear clothes to future portraits :P

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three: I Say!
« Reply #612 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14:54 pm »

Follow my American comrade to the tailor. No translation dictionary will be necessary this time, though, since the union just split one year ago and any gentleman of distinction still obviously speaks Swedish. But awesome coats is of highest importance!
Love, scriver~

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three: I Say!
« Reply #613 on: January 25, 2012, 06:16:51 pm »

Get my clothes fixed, and see if the fine gentlemen at R&D have anything for us.

Glad to see this finally back. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:19:03 pm by Geen »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Roll to Be a Gentleman Spy - Chapter Three Part One
« Reply #614 on: January 27, 2012, 01:44:24 pm »

Chapter Three

Dawn, Tuesday 9th April, 1906.

Quay 2, Airship-port 2073L, Gravesend.

“So, you see Smith, if you press the alarm button here, the grappling hook shoots out on a terribly thin wire. But one that can take over 2000 Newtons! Ingenious, what?! Oh look, here's young von Fersen. Hello, von Fersen!”

“I say! Hello McGeenyton! Hello Smith! Smashing coat Smith, what?!”

“Thanks... I er... I got it on Barnaby Street last night. That's a um... pretty impressive collection of dictionaries you got there von Fersen...”

“Oh, no, it's just one dictionary – rather comprehensive, you see. Thought it might be a good idea. Is Wellington already on board? Should we go?”

Item Acquired! McGeenyton: Grappling Hook Wristwatch!
Item Acquired! Smith: Smashing Coat (extra warm)!
Item Acquired! Von Fersen: Twenty-four volume bound special edition Forster's Norwegian-Swedish Dictionary!

...   ...   ...   ...   ...   ...

11.42pm, Tuesday 10th, April, 1906.

An enormous airship, somewhere above the North Sea.

“ALERT. ALERT. ALERT. ALERT.”

Halfway through the gentleman spies’ flight to Norway the airship’s warning siren sounds, blasting them out of the early stages of their sleep. The first officer’s voice sounds over the rudimentary tube-based PA system.

“Bandits sighted at three o’clock. Repeat. Bandits sighted at three o’clock. All hands on deck!”

The gentleman struggle to their feet in the swaying cabin, peering out of the tiny thick glass windows at the choppy black waters nearly invisible beneath them. The dim lights of an approaching airship appear through the gloom on the starboard side.

“ALERT. ALERT. ALERT. ALERT.”

The first officer’s voice sounds again, now ever so slightly faster and higher pitched.

“Bandits sighted at nine o’clock. Repeat. Bandits sighted at nine o’clock. All hands prepare to repel enemy boarding action!”

The gentlemen’s eyes, as they rush out of their cabins into the adjacent corridor, swing to the port side of the craft, and just have time to make out the shadowy form of a second airship as it approaches dangerously close to the British craft, and they just about have time to brace for impact as the two enormous balloons smash slowly but inexorably into each other. His Majesty’s airship is pushed off course towards the continent!

The two doors of the German airship’s cabin lower, and a wooden ladder is pushed out of each, aimed towards the matching twin exterior doors of the ship carrying the spies.

German air-marines start lumbering precariously across the ladders! The English air-guardsmen appear to be preoccupied with the starboard enemy!

Current Gentlemen

Spoiler: areyoua; Winston Smith (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Geen; Henry McGeenyton (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 50