Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Review] From Dust  (Read 2674 times)

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Mr. Squiffy || AKA LuminiferousPen
    • View Profile
[Review] From Dust
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:45:22 pm »

Some practice given I haven't written anything in a while.  Average-point is 5/10. Here goes, let me know your thoughts on how this was written please!

You watch the lava cool and form solid rock, blocking off the path it once travelled down. But now the lava stream travels in a different direction, and it creeps towards your village, where it causes a building to catch fire. The inferno rages, and as the lava covers the ground, tribesmen screaming in pitiful agony as they are consumed by this beast of nature, you can only think "wow, the fluids physics are great!"

From Dust is shiny. I had to beat away a dozen kids with ADD to get my copy out of the store, and when I first played it my room lit up like a disco ball coated in Edward Cullen's ashes. It's not jaw-droppingly detailed like Crysis or Far Cry 2, yet the weird-but-wonderful architecture, the even weirder plantlife, even down to the cute little masks on your victims villagers, screams "quirky" in your ear like a guy wearing fake glasses and sporting an ironic beard.

That's not to call From Dust shallow and materialistic, indeed the game is quite the opposite: simple, yet with underlying deepness. It's a god-game, a genre known for developers boasting that their titles allow you to shape the fates of civilisations, and for gamers' tendencies to interperet this as a contest for how much misery and unholy amounts of pain you can inflict upon your digital peons. You are "The Breath", the manifestation of magical music which controls the elements....or something. The plot is minimal, serving only as the reason why you hop between levels to do battle with nature. You have the ability to take and displace sand earth, water and lava, which you use in combination to form and raise islands, drain lakes, or vainly attempt to stop a river of lava turning your village into tribesmen flambé. Until you start getting village-activated powers you are a little hopelessly underwhelming. When trying to stop said river of lava you feel like Jack Sparrow trying to pour water out of his sinking ship in the ONLY Pirates film. Or when you're trying to construct a seabreak, where your pitiful amount of earth spreads out under gravity to form nice little dunes. It is one of the rare occasions where you curse a game's physics for being too good, as the water rushes over and swallows your village, probably giving you the finger as it does so.

Yet when you do start getting your powers, the tides begin to turn. Quite literally. Among these powers is the ability to jellify water, turning water solid and allowing it to be manipulated as such (my first use of which was to emboss a giant phallus onto the ocean). You can also evaporate water, or destroy it entirely, and with the other various powers you can earn on your quest to destroy the ocean you slowly but surely shape the earth to your will.

The main problem with From Dust is its length. I finished the game in two sittings, and that was only because an army of moths invaded my study, presumably followed by magpies and flying kids with ADD. There are only 13 levels, including the tutorial, and the last level is a sandbox (which I managed to fail). The remaining 11 levels manage to increase the difficulty with the inclusion of new environmental hazards, such as trees that set fire to themselves, some levels are secretly very linear. Or annoying. God-games are all about freedom, the ability to choose and create your own paths which which to complete the objective, your limits the obstacles and your own creativity. Some levels offer so many paths to complete your objective you don't know where to begin, and others punish you mercilessly for walking an inch out of line. Yet you can't tell which ones initially. The game waits, like a fat guy at a frat party waiting for the girls to get drunk, and when you're a decent way into the level it strikes like a Jack-in-the-box to the face, Jack replaced with a fist made out of solid hurt.

Case-in-point: The second-to-last level is set inside the crater of an old volcano, with lava rising from the middle and four villages to reclaim. Having very carefully sculpted the lava's path to not destroy any villages I managed to reclaim three of the four villages, when the game decides to announce that lava is now pouring in from everywhere, and the lovely forest that I'd cultivated in the crater base is now on fire and about to destroy my villages. With pretty much every other event there is a timer, so you know how long you have until your potential armageddon arrives and you can take measures to prevent it. With this I was just expected to know that I had to move the villages onto the safe side of the volcano I'd created, or use lava to raise the village grounds before reclaiming. I could have could have also reclaimed the music of repelling fire and lava from a stone of knowledge to prevent the disaster, but that was made impossible due to the apalling pathfinding. After extensive study of their language, I managed to translate what they were saying on their journies. "Hmm, there's a giant stream of lava blocking a direct route, no biggie, just edge around it. Oh, there's a foot-deep stream of water, definitely drowning hazard, best avoid closely as possible. There we go, all clear- OH SHIT! a ROCK! Screw this route man, too dangerous. I ain't risking my life over no rock, it's got sharp edges n' stuff!"

Yet despite the frequent bouts of tedium, the appalling pathfinding and awkward mouse controls (this game is a very poor port from console) it remains immensely-enjoyable, if not as a god-game, but as a fluids simulator if anything. That lava stream you created that drowned the village? You caused that, just to see how the lava so magnificently changes course. To see how the rivers erode the earth, form channels and deltas and deposit sediment at their bases. Despite being developed by one of the largest game studios in the world, it looks, feels and plays like an indie game, which is more than can be said of most indie games out there.

Graphics : 9/10
Gameplay : 8/10
Technical: 4/10

Total : 7/10
Steam page!

Also know as 'Mr. Squiffy'
On Reddit as LuminiferousPen!

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: [Review] From Dust
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:46:38 pm »

This is good, but is better discussed here.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »

The description of General Discussion did mention reviews, so....
Steam page!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »

Well, I am thinking I am going to buy this and give it a try, it seems like something I would like, but I was put off by the many many bad reviews. It is good to see such a in depth review from a (presumably) non professional that acknowledges the flaws but also states the good part.

Also:

The description of General Discussion did mention reviews, so....

That is sorta true, but the other games area is so much more specific... It really does fit there much better. There is a move thread button you can use if you want too, but I guess it is up to you.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 03:43:32 pm »

Well, I am thinking I am going to buy this and give it a try, it seems like something I would like, but I was put off by the many many bad reviews. It is good to see such a in depth review from a (presumably) non professional that acknowledges the flaws but also states the good part.

I'm not professional, but I love to write, and I haven't reviewed anything since the ghastly Metro 2033, so I wanted to get in some practice. I also hope you found the review a little bit humourous, as I've been told it's something I need to work on by friends :P

As for buying it, what I have learnt from other reviews is the myraid of technical issues, particularly regarding video card support (or lack thereof), the lack of options in the options settings and frame capping. As my laptop apparently has the processing power of the Greek pantheon and a supported graphics card, I didn't comment on that aspect as I was unaware of it, so if you are going to buy it, doubly check your computer specs.

Anyways, as soon as I can find the "move thread" function I'll move it to the "other games" section.
Steam page!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:59:48 pm »

Wait.

For a game that you complained is very linear and short, it got an eight out of 10 for gameplay, but for being a game that is the first to ever feature 100% dynamic terrain (including the proper dynamic flow of water) it gets a four for technical!?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:02:53 pm »

The Move button is in the bottom left corner, with Lock.

Pretty good review, though from what you said, it sounds more like a 6-6.5 than 7. IMO.
Would you recommend this more for console or PC? I gather it was designed for the former.

For a game that you complained is very linear and short, it got an eight out of 10 for gameplay, but for being a game that is the first to ever feature 100% dynamic terrain (including the proper dynamic flow of water) it gets a four for technical!?
I think he factored things like that into gameplay, leaving technical for how the game runs, pathfinding, etc.

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:38:54 pm »

Wait.

Lectorog has it spot-on in the way I reasoned it, but to me it is a hard line to trace. On one hand, yes, the coding involved in creating this was phenomenal, the dynamic environment is pretty stunning and could be lumped into technical terms, but if we see the technical section as the rating of innovation and mechanics, that leaves no area for bugs and the like, and a bad bug can just as surely ruin a game as bad design. If you lump the two together then the result becomes unbalanced, for the reason that a game could be the most inspiring feat of programming ever, and on its own entitled to a high rating, yet because of a set of bad bugs that crop up occasionally that score could be lowered considerably.

If you can think of a way to properly cover both those aspects, then I'd be more than happy to amend my score. I wasn't aware it would cause too much confusion, so I didn't categorise them as such.

The Move button is in the bottom left corner, with Lock.

Pretty good review, though from what you said, it sounds more like a 6-6.5 than 7. IMO.
Would you recommend this more for console or PC? I gather it was designed for the former.

The overall score is just the average of the individual scores I gave. Although I played it for the PC, given that it is such a shoddy port it's clear that it was intended for consoles. You avoid the Ubisoft DRM crap, the controls are (presumably) more fluid and I believe that you can also get demos (I know you can for the 360) so you can try first.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:42:20 pm by LuckyNinja »
Steam page!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:39:28 pm »

Unless you like playing console games on PC, console it is.
The game was not ported to PC.  :|
It was released on PC, but not ported.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

LuckyNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:41:00 pm »

er, accidentally hit quote instead of modify, didn't notice...
Steam page!