Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Expandable Engravings  (Read 702 times)

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Expandable Engravings
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:10:41 am »

Similar to how Liberal Crime Squad has 3 letters for graphics, and how ASCII Art Rewards work, I think having larger engravings would help us visualize things a bit better.  It would at least make things a bit prettier, and more expandable in a way.  Here's what I mean:

Here's an engraving of elves laboring.  Relates to the founding of a forest retreat.  Overworld view, it would just be "e".  But when you go to look at the engraving, it would show this somewhere on the engraving info:  "eee".  Or when a human strikes down a goblin, it would show this:  " Ug"  Depictions of gods could be cool, with a dragonfly god surrounded by food looking like "%.%".  Even "circles" would show up at "ooo", though a single circle would just be a single o.

Just something to fit in, if anyone likes the idea.  Could be a spot right above a description.  When you make an artifact, which has multiple decorations on it, I guess you could have a small browser for it...  maybe line them up all, side by side, and highlight the description of the one selected?  I dunno.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 12:05:22 pm by squeakyReaper »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: Expandable Engravings
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:16:46 pm »

nice idea.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 01:09:51 am »

[like button]
I could defenitely imagine this, being that ballista ammo currently takes up 3 tiles on the screen. the only issue I see is that in actuality, the ammo takes up 1 tile. Though that can easily be changed.
great idea
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

dragondorker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:17:06 pm »

moreso than this maybe allow engravings up to 3x1 (maybe more if they're on the floor). this can allow large mosaics to be generated, and larger engravings would have more value and happiness than three smaller engravings

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 11:44:56 am »

I don't think squeakyReaper meant that the engravings would take up multiple tiles, the way I read it seems the description of the engraving when you 'l'ook at it would display some icons/letters of what the stuff depicted would look like.

Here's an engraving of elves laboring.  Relates to the founding of a forest retreat.  Overworld view, it would just be "e".  But when you go to look at the engraving, it would show this somewhere on the engraving info:  "eee".  Or when a human strikes down a goblin, it would show this:  " Ug"  Depictions of gods could be cool, with a dragonfly god surrounded by food looking like "%.%".  Even "circles" would show up at "ooo", though a single circle would just be a single o.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 12:59:19 pm »

I don't think squeakyReaper meant that the engravings would take up multiple tiles, the way I read it seems the description of the engraving when you 'l'ook at it would display some icons/letters of what the stuff depicted would look like.

This.  Multiple space engravings could be cool, and perhaps if you designate more than one continuous tiles the Dwarves might attempt to make a mural of some sort...  But originally, I meant that they'd be expandable upon 'l'ooking at them, which would be "easier" (I think) to implement.