Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Razer campaign in favor of pc?  (Read 5238 times)

Citiral

• Bay Watcher
  • Indie games fan and developer.
    • View Profile
    • Just Doing This For Beer!
Razer campaign in favor of pc?
« on: August 22, 2011, 03:53:20 am »

http://www.pcgamingisnotdead.com/

There you go.

so razer made this strange trailer saying that all the rumors of pc gaming being dead are greatly exagurating and saying something awesome will happen on 8/26/11. That's in 4 days.
It's the same date  as DX3, but in some countries it get's released the day after that or something, so it's not likely the two dates are related.
So what are you waiting for?

DISCUSS!

EDIT: Nevermind, i'm just dumb.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:17:56 am by Citiral »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Razy campaign in favor of pc?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:44 am »

Pc gaming's not dead! It's frozen! And when they find a cure for Steam and unfreeze it, it's going to be pissed!

Sorry, I just had to say that  :D
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Citiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 04:08:39 am »

Aaaaargh, rumors everywhere. Someone even said it might be the release date of the razor switchblade, http://www.razerzone.com/switchblade . If that's so, I will personaly kill every single person who works at razor before I hang myself.

Citiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:13:04 am »

Oh no, here's a quote from a comment at RPS.
Quote from: Starayo
Apparently the timer lines up with the first day of PAX prime, and they have a panel on:

PC Gaming is (Not) Dead
    Pegasus Theatre
    Saturday 11:30am – 12:30pm
    Join Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan for a live presentation of Razer’s new, groundbreaking project for PC Gamers worldwide. If you were impressed with Razer’s Switchblade concept, which won the Best of CES 2011 People’s Voice Award, wait until you get a load of what Razer has in store for you at PAX Prime. Don’t miss this opportunity to experience first-hand, the hottest thing to redefine the industry. The official worldwide announcement will be made during this session at PAX Prime, and don’t miss your chance to win epic Razer gear! Q&A session to follow the presentation.
    Panelists include: Min-Liang Tan [CEO, Razer]

What do you think, good or bad news?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:18 am »

You can change the thread name yourself I think?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 04:14:39 am »

This whole PC vs. Console business always sort of confuses me. They're both healthy industries making a ton of money, and their competition is indirect at best. The day Consoles eliminate PC gaming is the day Consoles become PCs.

This seems like a (admittedly rather well executed) gimmick for something that will be completely disappointing. I had to google it to remember that Razor Razer was the company that pumps out overpriced gamer paraphernalia. They will probably announce another $100 WoW mousepad or someshit.

EDIT: Maximum ninja'd

Citiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:20:43 am »

This whole PC vs. Console business always sort of confuses me. They're both healthy industries making a ton of money, and their competition is indirect at best. The day Consoles eliminate PC gaming is the day Consoles become PCs.

This seems like a (admittedly rather well executed) gimmick for something that will be completely disappointing. I had to google it to remember that Razor Razer was the company that pumps out overpriced gamer paraphernalia. They will probably announce another $100 WoW mousepad or someshit.

EDIT: Maximum ninja'd

Yhea, it's what everyone's afraid for. If this is a publicity stunt to squeeze money out of 'dying' pc gaming, i'm going to kill myself, but there's hope, a little spark of hope that they are serious and going to change something in favor of 'us', but, I don't think such do-gooders exist anymore in a capitalistic world like this.

And i'm using 'dying' in the broadest sense, it's just to say that we are being mocked at with all those ubiDRM shit, console exclusives and "deliberately?" bad console ports.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:22:29 am by Citiral »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:37:36 am »

Yhea, it's what everyone's afraid for. If this is a publicity stunt to squeeze money out of 'dying' pc gaming, i'm going to kill myself, but there's hope, a little spark of hope that they are serious and going to change something in favor of 'us', but, I don't think such do-gooders exist anymore in a capitalistic world like this.

By "us" do you mean PC gamers? I own a number of consoles, but do most of my gaming on the PC, and I certainly don't have an us-vs-them mentality about the whole thing. I really don't think it's the sort of battle in which one will overtake the other, barring the possibility that they just become functionally indistinguishable from one another (consoles are, you can't deny, becoming more and more like game-focused-PCs).

Actually, that's just kind of a tangent. You may have meant "us" as in "gamers in general". My money's on publicity stunt.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:39:38 am by kinseti »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Razer campaign in favor of pc?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:43:22 am »

Not really sure what I'm meant to be seeing here. Looks like a new marketign campaign with some buzz words?

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:04:25 am »

Is it gonna be that touchscreen concept they showcased last year?

Citiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:28:55 am »

By "us" do you mean PC gamers? I own a number of consoles, but do most of my gaming on the PC, and I certainly don't have an us-vs-them mentality about the whole thing. I really don't think it's the sort of battle in which one will overtake the other, barring the possibility that they just become functionally indistinguishable from one another (consoles are, you can't deny, becoming more and more like game-focused-PCs).

Actually, that's just kind of a tangent. You may have meant "us" as in "gamers in general". My money's on publicity stunt.

With us I meant the people who mostly play pc, like me, although I also have some consoles. I'm not thinking of it as an "us vs them" kind of thing either, but I just didn't know how to word it differently.

Is it gonna be that touchscreen concept they showcased last year?

That's the switchblade. But the date on the "trailer" is the same date they have a presentation on PAX about a new gadget they made, and they say that if you loved the switchblade, you're going to love that new thingamajing they are going to present there. It's probably all a big publicity stunt to get A LOT of more attention to it.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 06:16:41 am »

The only problem I have with consoles is they're holding back pc gaming in terms of graphics. I don't even care about graphics (what with my laptop made from sticks and twine), that just bugs me a bit in the extremely unlikely case I happen upon a large sum of money and buy a monster pc. Other than that I'm all for consoles - competition is life :)

The Switchblade on the other hand... eh. I might even say derp, but I'm not sure. It's fine in theory and if someone gifted me one I'd probably spend a whole afternoon jumping around with joy. I just don't really see it as a major break-through in whatever, least of all mobile gaming. The keyboard seems too small, I don't really see the point of a multi touch screen for gaming - what, am I gonna aim with my finger on the screen? Because if there is one thing I really love about playing twin-stick shooters on my smartphone it's not seeing half the screen from my fat fingers. The screen looks nice, though.

Still, they are playing Quake 3 in the pics on the official website, and Quake 3 is the best FPS in forever, so I have to give them that.

And to those that've missed it - the Switchblade
http://www.youtube.com/v/UiQ0AnlfBu4?;hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&autoplay=1

I hope whatever they have to announce is a bit more fascinating.

What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Citiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:55 am »

They probably come up with a "revolutionary" mouse for the switchblade or something. And then all the gamers in the world would just sigh, maybe post some hate comments, and move on. But who knows, maybe it might be worth it, guess whe will have to wait 4 days. Oh well...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 08:22:38 am »

This "switchblade" is about as handheld as your average UMPC. The mini-LCD keys are a nice touch, but ultimately they're a gimmick, and prone to all kinds of problems, since you'd have to have custom profiles for every game you play. I imagine it'd be fun to make a DF profile for this thing. :P

Anyway, not sure why, but I still firmly believe that any handheld PC device would have to be a variation on this:

Add some shoulder buttons for left/right click, and you've got a pretty good setup. With some practice, you could probably even play Quake 3 on it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 08:27:53 am »

Unless they did something revolutionary totally in secret, they still don't have the GPUs or the battery life to satisfy what most PC gamers expect when you tell them they're playing a "PC-oriented" game. This is most likely some marketing tripe that is trying to capitalize on the whole stupid debate.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2