Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Hollow  (Read 5560 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Re: The Hollow
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »

That was the most epic update I've ever seen in the devlog.  Nearly every sentence could have gone into the quotes page on magmawiki.

See, Mr. Molyneaux?  This is what Hollow Men means. 

Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

chuckthegr8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2011, 01:05:41 pm »

I suppose with the Magic update we also get some anti-magic items to dispel/banish stuff like this, or magical weapons that auto-ends  a spell it strikes.

What if the Hollow acts like a T-1000? If it falls to pieces, it will do its best to get back together (depending on the size of the pieces). Best way to destroy is magma.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »

I could see hollows becoming a very deadly monster. Fast moving (due to being light weight), resistant to bolts (they usually just pass through) and hammers (they just push them back a bit), and if they have a smother/envelope attack they would be incredibly hard to get off.

I still want blood golems though. (Fairly tough ones rather than weak blood men).
Soaplent green is goblins!

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2011, 02:31:59 pm »

Yeah blood golems made from cuagulated blood hardened by evil energies, I like the idea.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2011, 02:46:31 pm »

Toady will probaly fix that thing with the lower bodies missing after someone is dead won't he?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2011, 03:24:34 pm »

I'm imagining the hollow as looking like taquitos crawling around on the ground like inch worms.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »

Toady will probaly fix that thing with the lower bodies missing after someone is dead won't he?
Yes, from what we can see the game will track damage even after death, such as the reanimated necromancer in the devlog.

I belive we just witnessed the creation of the most badass horror monster ever. Why no one ever tought of that before is beyond me.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 04:32:57 pm »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 04:50:04 pm »

Resisting urge to create human( or deon orc) adventurer named Ichigo......
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 05:23:25 pm »

So, on the off (not) chance healing/regenerative sort of magics/secrets come up in the near future... or sudden adventurer enthusiasm in sewing... Do you suppose we could sew hollow skins together into a single, contiguous monstrosity?
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2011, 07:46:45 pm »

I envision The Hollowed as loose bags of skin filled with necromantic ether. Wisps of the ether leak out of their drooping eyelids and mouths. When you cut them, the wounds "bleed" ether, and when it all leaks out, The Hollowed re-dies and the skin is consumed.

When they attack, they grapple with you. If they can latch on, they attempt to "kiss" you and breathe the ether into your lungs, searing your flesh from the inside.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2011, 08:32:16 pm »

I envision The Hollowed as loose bags of skin filled with necromantic ether. Wisps of the ether leak out of their drooping eyelids and mouths. When you cut them, the wounds "bleed" ether, and when it all leaks out, The Hollowed re-dies and the skin is consumed.

When they attack, they grapple with you. If they can latch on, they attempt to "kiss" you and breathe the ether into your lungs, searing your flesh from the inside.

I see it more like just animated skin roughly in the shape of whatever the skin belongs to. Depending on how magical Toady himself sees them, either walking upright and inflated or sliding around on the ground. One thing I think we can all agree on, though, is that you don't want to let them grab you. What exactly they should do might vary from interpretation to interpretation, but it's definitely bad news.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2011, 08:35:38 pm »

I imagine a humanoid shape sort of billowing in the wind, slowly lumbering toward you.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2011, 11:14:54 pm »

They should be able to wrestle well but not actually "strike" effectively, leaving them strangulation, throwing, etc as attacks. At least, that sounds like the simplest way...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4