Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: The Hollow  (Read 5562 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: The Hollow
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 07:20:04 am »

At least in real life such a creature would probably get seriously hurt from a spear poke. Depends on the thickness of the skin - it may cause quite a tear...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 07:22:07 am »

A bug becomes a feature. DF in a nutshell.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 07:27:55 am »

*yoinks the idea for future use*

Animated Hollow skins.

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 08:07:24 am »

This is terrible and wonderful all wrapped up in a finely crafted pouch made of living human skin.

I can imagine a necromancer animating the skin of someone roughly their size and wearing it as a disguise/hidden battle companion for those skirmishes with the city guard when you just really don't want them to focus on you. Improptu stealth mission? No problem! Just send that skin you were wearing earlier out, complete with clothes. You'll find something else to wear and in the mean time the guards will be busy, first trying to interrogate it and then either 1) flipping the fuck out or 2) trying to kill it. Just sneak right on in, no biggie. ;)
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:14 am »

I wonder if it would be possible to tan (like you would to leather) or otherwise toughen a Hollow.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 08:39:59 am »

And people ask why I like DF.

I foresee some extra time spent on these things now, and some pretty confusing meta issues arising out of how they work. Will they even be able to do damage, what with the characteristics of skin?

Then again, they could probably just drape themselves over your face to smother you, or try and get in your mouth....

Goddamn, that's just so creepy. Procedurally generated nightmare fuel at its best.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 08:41:57 am »

Oh god... That would be horrible. A loose pile of skin, back from the grave with an urge to crawl into your mouth.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 08:47:17 am »

I wouldn't think they'd be weak to stabs or small cuts. Sure, it's just skin, but it's animated: I doubt it feels pain, and just a small hole isn't going to slow it down too much. Ripping or cutting the thing in half however, would be pretty effective, as would chewing (or tanning :P)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 08:48:33 am »

I'm just waitingg for when players get like 5 minions with all arms and legs and stuff from each corpse by animating each layer separately.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:36 am »

I wouldn't think they'd be weak to stabs or small cuts. Sure, it's just skin, but it's animated: I doubt it feels pain, and just a small hole isn't going to slow it down too much. Ripping or cutting the thing in half however, would be pretty effective, as would chewing (or tanning :P)

No way, slicing it in half should result in both halves coming after you.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 09:11:37 am »

All I can see them as are human-sized gingerbreadmen made of skin. The most terrifying holiday treat. But what I think would be REALLY freaky would be if they could wrap themselves around something, cover it completely, and then control their bodies simply by moving.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:50 am »

Actually, I'm not sure you'd be able to hurt it with anything. Even slicing weapons rely on the target giving some resistance to the blow, so if the skin just floats when hit (in the most perfect example of "rolling with the punches"), you'll need impossibly sharp weapons to hurt it.

As always, the answer is magma.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:56 am »

So we need adamantine swords to kill Hollows? Creepy...

But if the skin is living, shouldn't it have some sort of force come with it? Something that can make it move, stay up, attack etc. that would also resist the strikes from swords?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2011, 10:34:25 am »

Actually, I'm not sure you'd be able to hurt it with anything. Even slicing weapons rely on the target giving some resistance to the blow, so if the skin just floats when hit (in the most perfect example of "rolling with the punches"), you'll need impossibly sharp weapons to hurt it.

As always, the answer is magma.

Nope, just poke your sword in and RRRRIIPPP!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2011, 11:40:43 am »

Woah this is new and exciting, truly the toads creativity is boundless.
Jeez I'm trying to picture how they would look, gives me the creeps.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4