Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Hollow  (Read 5561 times)

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Hollow
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:44 am »

From Toady's devlog:

I tried the butcher command in the arena, and the necromancer managed to raise both a skeleton and a walking hollow skin... which I suppose I'll keep since it makes about as much sense as a walking skeleton

I think this is a rather eerie addition to DF, even in comparison to the numerous grotesque thing DF can already conjure up. Regardless, I think it's neat and paints a rather horrifying picture in the player's head.

What do you think?

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: The Hollow
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:46 am »

The mental image I have of "them" is quite awesome. I sure cannot wait to fight/weaponize these monstrosities.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 12:38:58 am »

It makes about as much sense as animating just the bones of something. Possibly more, as the skin can be all one piece where bones have to be held together.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:54:06 am »

It occurs to me that this is a completely new creepy thing - as in, I've never heard of walking skin in anything ever. 
where is up?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 01:05:48 am »

It occurs to me that this is a completely new creepy thing - as in, I've never heard of walking skin in anything ever.
Yeah you have, they normally are filled with guts and stuff...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 03:39:43 am »

This raises an interesting issue though, would walking skins be effective? I don't think they would weigh much without their innards, and they don't have muscles....

So are they essentially walking paper or the next bronze colossus? Oh Toady, you torture us so without the details :/
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:09:21 am »

This raises an interesting issue though, would walking skins be effective? I don't think they would weigh much without their innards, and they don't have muscles....

I assume they can be just as powerful as skeletons, who are fueled solely by magic or somethign as they have no muscles either.

As for combat...

Urist McAdventurer woke up, irritated by faint noises from the nearby thicket and raised his axe. "Damn bogeymen", he grumbled. However, something seemed odd. Bogeymen didn't usually bother to sneak, instead swarming their target while cackling loudly. Feeling nervous, Urist approached the thicket with his axe ready to smite down any fiend that might lurk there.

Then, suddenly, a human-sized figure stepped out of the shadows. It did not speak, nor seem to notice Urist in any way. It was very dark - a surface Dwarf like Urist couldn't recognize the figure's face.

"Hail to thee, stranger! Be ye a foe of the Gears of Men?" Urist asked the stranger. Getting no response, he continued: "Surely I may rest my weary bones here?" Again, Urist got no response. Urist thought the man was just behaving strange like those silly humans always did. "Thou hast my gratitude, human", he said, and returned to his campsite.

At his campsite, Urist laid himself down again and closed his eyes. The soothing sounds of the nature made him sleepy - water flowing nearby, a bird singing far away, the sound of wind blowing inside a hollow bag of skin -

Urist opened his eyes but couldn't do a thing anymore. The strange creature he had seen earlier had come and stretched itself across Urist so tightly Urist couldn't move. He could hardly breath anymore, and the stench was horrible. Urist spent his last minutes dying in a horrible, horrible way.

Kids, always have companions when camping outdoors.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 04:45:23 am »

I just can't wait for the nightmarish fanart.

...Actually, whenever I get around to donating again I might make a specific crayon art request.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 04:51:36 am »

At least they won't... or would they...?

Writhing against the thin but strong layer restraining him, Urist started to feel a burning sensation. The creature was secreting something on him.

Urist was being digested.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:28:56 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just finished drawing "it". Note, light source would've been a camp fire behind the Hollow.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 05:44:19 am »

Hey, that's cool bro. I wasn't planning on sleeping tonight anywho...  :-\

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:44:42 am »

Looks good. Also, terrifying.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:59 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just finished drawing "it". Note, light source would've been a camp fire behind the Hollow.
*pisses self in simultaneous joy and horror*
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:08:38 am »

I'm guessing hollows will be easy to kill. Think about it, how often have you had combat reports by the lines of
"Urist McSoldier hits the goblin in the lower arm with his iron short sword, tearing the skin."
Odds are good skins will work the same way. Presumably though, they will be resistnt to blunt attacks.

Also, it's always nice ot see something new crawl out of DF. Genocidal carp were an accident, hollow skins simply filled the prerequisites of an animated... thing, so they became a thing. Accidets happen, and, as Caldrif probably meant, I don't think I have ever heard of the concept of a walking, hollow skin.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:56 am »

The Hollow, or how procedural complexity creates new folklore. Awesome.

As for being killable, they have no bones or internals, so they'll probably be very resilient to blunt and piercing damage, even if they're very vulnerable to slashing damage.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: [1] 2 3 4