Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Get rid of aquifers  (Read 1732 times)

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Get rid of aquifers
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:14:07 pm »

or at least make it so that they don't take up 90 percent of the usable map.  What is the point of an aquifer other than to be a HUGE obnoxious obstacle? Why are so many of them generated? Come on, this is silly.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Get rid of aquifers
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 11:27:58 pm »

Two reasons, 1 It's Fun, 2 It's realistic. Aquifers are quite common in RL. Now before you start ranting I agree that aquifers are annoying and time wasters in general. But I don't believe they should be removed from the game as some people actually do like them.

That said, they're fairly easy to mod out, open up your inorganic_stone_soil file and your inorganic_stone_layer file and remove all the [AQUIFER] tags.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 11:37:44 pm »

What we need is an easier way of bypassing aquifers. Perhaps there could be some kind of special staircase structure.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:18:04 am »

More realistic aquifers is what's really needed. The rate of flooding being one of the main things. I'm sure I've seen suggestions about this already.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 12:19:15 am »

We need to be able to at least sort of dam water from above, and aquifers probably shouldn't exist in as much of the map as they do.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:25:18 am »

I was under the impression that aquifers were pretty wide spread in reality.

If many didn't flood so fast you could use dwarves with buckets to burst through.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:14 am »

More realistic aquifers is what's really needed. The rate of flooding being one of the main things. I'm sure I've seen suggestions about this already.

Indeed. Aquifers produce insane amounts of water.

They should produce only 1 unit of water, infrequently.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:17:38 am »

Personally I'd rather see drainage brought in as a thing more often. Low-drainage maps should have a constant, low-level seep of water that you have to pump away until you seal up your tunnels/dig under the water table. Rain should be a bigger issue in soil as well.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 02:39:17 am »

Of course, if we're talking realism, then many aquifers in DF should be even harder to deal with. How do people in real life deal with, say, a column of underground water stories high? I have no idea. DF has typical groundwater right now in the form of aquifers, but it doesn't have the type that are basically gigantic underground lakes and rivers.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:59:33 am »

Yep. There's no realistic way to deal with the aquifers in the game because they contain an infinite amount of water and release it way too fast. The various breaching methods out there are absurd hacks.

For a remotely realistic aquifer you need to keep track of soil porosity and saturation for each tile. The simplest model is for saturation to be binary (a tile is either "wet" or "dry"). When a wet and a dry tile are adjacent, there's a chance on each tick (based on their combined porosity--porosity adds reciprocally, like resistors in parallel) that water will move from the wet to the dry tile. This includes open-space tiles as long as they're adjacent in any direction to a tile of earth; open space is 100% porous, and wet whenever it contains at least 1/7 water. Since a wet soil tile is more likely to drain into dry open space than into another soil tile, you can drain groundwater realistically with ditches and sumps and such.

Obviously this is a very crude model (every tile regardless of porosity contains either 0/7 or 1/7 water, and it doesn't account for things like aboveground water pressure forcing water into the soil) but with some sensible edge conditions on the map it will produce working aquifers that do something besides be a huge pain in the ass.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:05:35 pm »

Of course, if we're talking realism, then many aquifers in DF should be even harder to deal with. How do people in real life deal with, say, a column of underground water stories high? I have no idea. DF has typical groundwater right now in the form of aquifers, but it doesn't have the type that are basically gigantic underground lakes and rivers.
this aquifer that are basically undergrounds pockets of water are usually more rare (or not) the DF kind seens to be a lot more common in RL than the aforementioned type.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 03:10:37 pm »

It would be nice if we had an option in world generation to set aquifer frequency.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cyborg Fireman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:25:17 pm »

It would be nice if we had an option in world generation to set aquifer frequency.

I think that is something that can be controlled in Advanced setup.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 04:34:43 pm »

I think that is something that can be controlled in Advanced setup.

I don't think that it can be controlled directly, independantly of other variables.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 04:45:41 pm »

I don't think it can be controlled, period.

Hm...how do people breach aquifers IRL?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2